21 replies to this topic

#1 xboxnewguy

xboxnewguy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 05:02 AM

I would like to build an arcade joystick that will eventually go into an arcade cabinet. Does anyone out there know the pin outs or have a tutorial on how i can convert happ controls to an xbox joystick. I know I could but an x-arcade joystick but building one would be beter and I could create a joystick that plays up to 4 people.

biggrin.gif

#2 AMDman12GHz

AMDman12GHz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 05:53 AM

The happ controlls are just a normally open connection and a ground connection..... There is no diagram to look at really. You can solder them onto and xbox controller by connecting the ground to a ground connection on the controller, and then connecting the normall open connection to the NO connection on the controller board. I know this explaination isnt clear but it should help some. I did it with a dreamcast controller for mame on the DC.

Josh

#3 Paolo

Paolo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:45 AM

Take a look here, should explain quite well

#4 artynerd

artynerd

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 02 August 2004 - 04:36 PM

If I were you, I would seriously consider buying a couple of 2p X-Arcades. You can easily connect a couple of joysticks via plexiglass mount, and extend some of the wires if necessary. That way you have the assurance of complete compatibility (Playstation 1, 2, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PC, and even next gen consoles).

Here's what I did with one 2p X-Arcade:

http://www.joshandsara.com/SF2CE/

As you can see, you could never tell it was an X-Arcade. Mainly because of the plexi mount, artwork, and new happs buttons.

I've been thinking about making another arcade; a replica of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles one... Although I need money, and space blink.gif biggrin.gif

#5 xboxnewguy

xboxnewguy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 04:52 AM

Artynerd, Here's the deal. I am in the process of getting an old double dragon arcade machine that still works. What I would like to do is rewire the controls so that I can use it on the xbox. I would replace the monitor with a regular tv. I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible the double dragon arcade game is being traded for a computer I don't use anymore.

#6 Gus Man

Gus Man

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 03 August 2004 - 04:55 AM

just buy the X-arcade circuit board. It is about $60 and like artynerd said, will insure compatibilty with future systems.

#7 artynerd

artynerd

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 09:57 AM

You're getting an original Double Dragon arcade?? Shit man, I would leave that baby intact, haha! But if you must...

#8 gonkle

gonkle

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 12:11 PM

dont use the gamester stick, it has no left/right thumbsticks. so you cant use any of xports emulators.

#9 DeaDSOuLz

DeaDSOuLz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 05:49 PM

Yeah I wish Xport would release an alternate config for X-Arcade users to navigate better in his emulators.

#10 XPort

XPort

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:09 PM

Every joystick is compatible with the ports I've done and I do not need to release alternate configurations for various joysticks. Read the docs and change all of the UI controller mappings to suit your needs. L/R thumbsticks are not required. The only required buttons are the DPAD, A and B (so that you can navigate the menus).

#11 angrypants

angrypants

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:31 PM

man that arcade cabinet looks sweet. I was thinking about building one with a pc in it awhile back but never really had the cash. Right now I'm rethinking that whole thing though. With the new mame adding support for so many new games and all of the other stuff on my xbox I'm starting to think it wouldn't be that big of a deal to set up. I have the xbox so I dn't need to purchase another pc. I have a 19in tv which I could use all I need now is the cabinet and the x-arcade and I'll be all set.

#12 artynerd

artynerd

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (DeaDSOuLz @ Aug 4 2004, 06:52 PM)
Yeah I wish Xport would release an alternate config for X-Arcade users to navigate better in his emulators.

Actually, my X-Arcade works perfectly with all of Xport's emulators. Even if you have to use analog sticks, you can remap the joysticks to analog sticks with the push of 2 buttons (L and R buttons are just below the "street fighter 6") . The X-Arcade functions exactly like a normal Xbox controller (or PS2, GC, DC, etc), so there's no compatibility issues to speak of.... At least none that I've found, and I've tested with pretty much every emulator and Xbox fighting game. And like Xport said, just change the UI mappings if you want.

xboxnewguy, does the arcade monitor work? If it does, try to get an adapter for it to plug your Xbox into it, because 1) it's cheaper than buying a new TV 2) it's easier, since it's already mounted 3) it's more authentic, and it's a bitch to find a good TV with the proper dimensions, since most TVs nowadays have speaker columns on the left and right, ie, you lose screen size to the girth of the TV box. However, I would suggest doing your homework on arcade monitors before monkeying with them, since they can be very dangerous, ie, you drop one that's still charged and it's like a small bomb going off. Seriously.

#13 xboxnewguy

xboxnewguy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:29 PM

Artynerd,

I have heard of a company named ultimarc that make a graphics card for the PC that converts the resolution to work with an arcade monitor. Im not sure about the xbox although there is a vga to xbox converter but thats for a standard monitor. Ultimarc also had some type of device coming out for the xbox Ill have to dig more and see what its all about. I'll proably go with the X arcade though. I think the double dragon deal is not going to go through. He wanted 250 bucks for it but im strapped right now.

#14 artynerd

artynerd

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:56 PM

250 bucks is a lot of cash. A good deal for a Double Dragon arcade, but a lot of money none the less (especially considering how much more you'll have to spend to get it modded)

Try to find some local arcade collectors/auctions and pick up a cheap cabinet. A friend of mine sold me his Time Killers arcade (without monitor and jamma board) for 25 bucks. That's the cabinet I used for my Street Fighter 2 - Champion Edition arcade.

#15 TheOtherBob

TheOtherBob

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:06 PM

And keep an eye out on Ebay for arcade cabs too. I picked one up locally via ebay for 18.32 it didn't have a monitor or boards but it was an excellent start. Here it is after some elbow grease and paint:
user posted image

Sorry, the pic is kinda big......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users