#1 known2kill

known2kill

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 04 August 2004 - 11:57 PM

2 of my controller's wires and starting to break. i usally used one of my small controllers so i would be unwrapping and wrapping the cord around the controller. then i noticed it a while ago that the greenish covering on the wires was spererating from the black nub where it enters the controller. i didnt do anything about it untill to late. my friend was over and said that i should really tape that so it doesnt rip. i didnt untill i saw one of his brothers friend have to keep moving the wires around untill it was connect and he could use it. when my small one wouldn't work anymore i would use one of my big ones. now that controllers wires and about to break so i want to try to stop this one. but the black wire in both of them are ripped so it doesnt connect all the time. i have a few ideas how i might be able to fix it but just seeing of anyone has figured out a way of fixing it good.

if i am confussing you i might be able to get a few pics of it. i have already started to remove the greenish crap and the silver crap on it so it just the wires.

#2 tonloc79

tonloc79

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:29 AM

uhh.gif shouldnt you be posting this on the manufacturers website? blink.gif

#3 Sylvester182

Sylvester182

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Electronics
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:34 AM

Buy a broken controller or some crappy 3rd party and exchange the cords. End of story.

#4 known2kill

known2kill

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (Sylvester182 @ Aug 5 2004, 02:37 AM)
Buy a broken controller or some crappy 3rd party and exchange the cords. End of story.

i was thinking about doing that.... wasnt sure if 3rd partys ones would fit

#5 Layser

Layser

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:Counter-strike, Modding stuff. Skiing skating and blading. Max power. Puck-rock and metel \\m//
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:41 AM

Yeah it will fit fine but you'll have to secure it with some hot glue or something.

#6 Sylvester182

Sylvester182

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 02:29 AM

You can use a single edge razor blade (like a scraper blade), find the middle of the rubber boot on the old cable, push straight down to split it and take it and super glue it onto the new cable. Hot glues a bit ugly. wink.gif

#7 Sylvester182

Sylvester182

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 02:33 AM

One other thing..if you are good with a soldering iron you might be able to desolder the pin header from the donor controller and solder it directly into your good one (no need for splicing wires) . I did this but they were both MS brand, I'm not sure about 3rd parties.

#8 known2kill

known2kill

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:23 AM

im gonna see if any of my friends have broken controlers that i could buy. other wise i might just get new ones. but mess around with these ones trying to get them to work.

#9 Maverick52GZ

Maverick52GZ

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:43 AM

I just had this happen to me too.

I was lazy and just bought a new Duke from the store though...

good for me though, because my friend gave me one of his S controllers that was broken(needed a new right joystick), so im desoldering the joysticks and swapping em, and i cut the cable from my old duke to make a controller dongle extension. I think I got more out of it than if i would have just resoldered the wires...

#10 estin

estin

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:05 AM

just cut off the old cords from the pcb, and solder the new wires in. its really easy. oh, and don't wrap your controller cables around the controller. it makes the cable look like ass in no time. too much stress of the cable boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users