Photo

How To Build Rainbow Six Maps For The Xbox.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DreamWithMe

DreamWithMe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 06:38 PM

Hello everyone. I finally decided that I wanted to build my own Xbox maps enough to figure out how to do it on my own. So, I did, and since the Xbox-scene has given me such tremendous help in the past, without keeping information hidden, and since I donít know of any other Xbox map-making tutorials, I wrote this one down for everyone.

On top of that, this project, which Iím calling the ďMeant to be OPENĒ project, is going to evolve as I get more time to work on it. Iíll include known incompatibilities, etc. Iíll need everyoneís help, though, so after reading over the tutorial, please post your thoughts and ideas to the forum on the tutorials website. This is my first tutorial ever, so I hope it works for everyone. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me at xbox@dreamwithme.net.

The link to the tutorial is:
http://www.dreamwithme.net

Itís the first article on the site. I hope it helps people. Letís work to make it a good and long-lasting resource for people that, like me, really like the ability to keep Rainbow Six fresh and new.

Thanks again,

Aaron

#2 Sashimi-X

Sashimi-X

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 06:59 AM

Cheers! beerchug.gif It's about time somebody wrote a tutorial on how to make RS maps for the X-box version! I was hoping someone would finally help out the Rainbow Six fans who I'm sure are dying to make their own maps. smile.gif

#3 DreamWithMe

DreamWithMe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 06:10 PM

My last post didn't go through for some reason, so here it goes again. I just wanted to say thanks, and that I hope it helps. There are still some holes that I'm working on (as you get into building and converting more complicated maps), but I hope to make it more complete over the next few weeks.

Hope everyone else is as stoked about being able to finally do this as I am. I'm having a blast. smile.gif

Aaron

Edited by DreamWithMe, 15 August 2004 - 06:12 PM.

#4 Sashimi-X

Sashimi-X

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 03:20 AM

Heh, I'm sure everyone is stoked! Hopefully the lack of responses mean that everyone is now working with UnrealEd, trying to make / convert maps! biggrin.gif

BTW, have you or anyone else ever tried making a backup disc of Rainbow Six with the new maps? I know it works from the HD, but I have a set up where I run all my games from disc (didn't add a large HD or change my dash). I've tried burning a disc in UDF 128 and even made an iso using SimpleXiso. None have worked thus far. I was going to try using boxplorer to copy over the contents to my small HD (Hehehe) and try running the game using boxplorer or Evox dash running from a CDRW. Should be enough room for RS and the maps.

Guess I just need to teach my friends how to do it too so we can play some multiplayer over Xbox Connect or Xlink. smile.gif

Thanks again for that tutorial. I'm sure there's a bunch of folks just creating levels right now.

Here's a little request. If anyone reading this has gotten good at making maps, could someone try to make some SOCOM II themed maps? I love my PS2 and SOCOM II and having some maps would be cool. I'd love Desert Glory and perhaps Ruins to start. Or perhaps I should practice using UnrealEd and try myself... Thanks again!

#5 skit_____

skit_____

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:06 AM

i wanted to build 'complex' from goldeneye/perfect dark for rainbow six 3, but unrealED is really confusing. has anyone ever used unrealED that has any pointers.

#6 DreamWithMe

DreamWithMe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 09:51 AM

The online guides I reference in my tutorial are really pretty good at walking you through UnrealED. They don't solve all the problems, maybe, but they solve enough to get you going (not that I'm an expert or anything). If you're having troubles, that's a good place to start.

Sashimi, I havn't played with implementing maps on CD or DVD, so I couldn't tell you. Give it a go. I'd be curious to see if it works (don't see why it wouldn't).

So I have a question for you anyone reading this. I've been converting over a number of PC maps, mainly for co-op play, for my own use. Do you think I should look into getting author permissions and start posting the converted versions along with the tutorial? Would that be something people would be interested in? Maybe make an open submission thing for Xbox maps, much as the PC community has a number of different sites distributing maps. I couldn't promise there would be a lot of maps, at least not at first, but... I'm converting them and building them for myself anyway.

People, let me know your thoughts...

Maybe I'll make it a poll... hmmm....

#7 echo121

echo121

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 02:21 AM

yeh posting them would be good, its worth putting some serious time into making a big detailed map for terrorist hunts, multiple paths (non linear), and playing with the terrorists settings (defcon level, calling for backup etc, giving them sniper rifles etc) it takes alot of time but its worth it to mkae them more like the retail levels rather than the sometime basic homebrew maps

as far as PC - xbox compatiblilty goes especially with the static meshes i found you must have the same file names in both the xbox and the PC
eg. Island_SM.usx like you said on your web site, then i found that not all Pc static meshes are in the xbox, so

to find which particular static meshes would work i made a big map (warehouse) 4096 X 4096 and then filled it with static meshes (doors, windows, bins, chairs, desks, cars, stairs, fences, etc) that i thought i'd like to use and then put in lighting and a rb6 start point then ftp'd to my xbxo started that level and then "walked" through my warehouse and checked to see what turned up

then when i was making a new map i would just copy and paste from my warehouse to my new map (you can do more than one mesh at a time) safe in the knowledge they would show up and not crash my level

its fun to play around with sounds as well a triggering music when you walk inot certain areas of the map

great fun, but take a lot of time, i hope these ideas help you guys

#8 DreamWithMe

DreamWithMe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 04:29 PM

Echo,

That's great. I've been doing some similar style of things, testing out workable StaticMeshes and things. Building and converting maps is a very time consuming process -- exp. when trying to make something near the retail version. I've been meaning to sit down and play with an ambitious map or two, but time has been so tight. School just started up here two weeks ago, and I've had no free time at all. wink.gif That's part of the reason I'm focusing more on converting maps right now than building them - I figure I'll never be able to make as many maps as those already avaliable from the mod community on the PC. There are some really good ones. If I can get the conversion process down to a speedy thing, it would be great.

Have you had a lot of success with finding compatable static meshes? It would be really helpful for everyone if you could keep records on what you find. Like I said, I'm working on something similar myself, but it's slow.

Also, when you get done with your sample StaticMesh level, if you e-mail it to me I'll post it on the site. It might make the job easier for other people if they had a map full of working items that can just be copied and pasted.

Anyway, now I'm feeling inspired. I think I'll skip my first class and play with maps. Sweet. smile.gif

Later,

Aaron

#9 dietz

dietz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 September 2004 - 07:23 PM

Most static meshes (if not all) can be used on the xbox.
If it doesn't show up on the xbox, then you can
make your own file with these static meshes in it.
An most likely you'll need to make a file with the
textures in it that are used by these static meshes.

Some textures can be a problem on the xbox.
When using thermal vision or granades,
the game will lockup and reset.

#10 DreamWithMe

DreamWithMe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 01:21 PM

The problem with thermal vision and gernades is not universal. None of my basic maps have this problem, and only a few of the more complicated PC converted maps do. I'm not exactly sure what causes this yet, but it's not a set yes or no.

Also, simply copying the static meshes to their own file is not a perfect solution, either. It works at times, but also depends on how the static meshes are saved, and in what combination. More importantly, though, I'm more interested in the static meshes that crash the game on launch, not just don't appear (both can be a problem, though).

There have to be a rule of thumb that can be used to govern these issues. Just a matter of clarifying them over time. smile.gif

#11 dietz

dietz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 07 September 2004 - 09:30 PM

Here's what I know or can say about it:

Until now EVERY map I converted from PC that reset on thermal,
I got corrected by adding a texture that was missing or replaced a
texture that for whatever reason caused this. So, until now I can
say that if your xbox reset on thermal, you'll have to find the
problem in the textures area...

Simply copying the missing SM's is the ONLY solution, because
you'll need those SM's if you're porting a map to xbox.
You can't just leave them out. You'll need the map as much
like the original. And with ALL maps I did, I can't remember
a SM that I couldn't copy into 'my' own file...

Crashing the game on lauch can be caused only by a SM if the
texture used by that SM is linked with another texture that's
not present. Like shaders and final blend's...
Also missing sounds can make the map crash on launch.
These I know for sure and I had maps working after
correcting the problems above.
But, there are more things that will crash the map on launch
that I don't know of. I think things like Physics Volume's,
Teleports, other Actors, etc that are not supported by the xbox
can be a crash factor too.

But I agree that I would like too know 100% about maps not loading up... mad.gif
Didn't look into that too much. Just enjoy porting maps more right now.

Well, this all is ofcourse my own vision on the porting
after doing enough maps these last months...

#12 DreamWithMe

DreamWithMe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:57 PM

That's very similar to what I've found as well.

The gernade/thermal thing is absolutely linked to textures - I'm not sure why exactly. For example, there are a number of textures in Airport_T and Airport_TSM that cause the system to crash when you activate thermal while looking directly at them (maybe because thermal vision actually uses a different, specialized texture that the Xbox can't find?). airport_floor_06b_test3 always crashes when in view of thermal vision, for example. There a number of others.

The list of usable textures (without any modifications) is coming along slowly, but is one of my top priorities.

And like I said earlier, I've only had partial success with pulling SM into a custum file. For example, it works with one or two SM, but then when I transfer more, poof, stops working. Maybe it's something I'm doing. I have all sorts of things I want to try in attempt to understand the beast. wink.gif Also, the maps I've had these problems with are SMs already in custum SM files, so I don't know why it wouldn't work. Oh well.

Sounds are also a problem, I've noticed.

Anyway, back to the grinding stone for me.

Cheers,

Aaron

#13 DreamWithMe

DreamWithMe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 05:02 PM

Re-reading over your post, I mis-read what you said originally. It seems that everything you said is spot on with what I know. You're a step ahead of me. smile.gif

Let me try some things.... hmmm....

#14 WBAGAM

WBAGAM

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 04 January 2005 - 06:43 PM

This game is awsome since you can make your own maps god now only if we could with halo 2

#15 B-BALL

B-BALL

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 March 2005 - 05:48 PM

does anyone know how to make maps for

rainbow six 3 black arrow

or carnt you because there isnt much maps out for that game and i know the new ones coming out soon HEY biggrin.gif
but its something to do when im bord and how hard is it to make them cheers if
any one replys to this message or even better PM me and help me out cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users