Photo

How Can I Play A Sega Cd Game With Neogenesis?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 11:21 AM

Hi I tried to play a Sega CD game with NeoGenesis but I can't figure out how to do it. I have NeoGenesis on a Multi-CD together with some other emulators and the Sega CD game is Snatcher which I have as a bin/cue image on my computer. First I loaded the cue file in Nero and burned the game on a CDRW and tried to start it with the 'Launch Inserted CD' option in NeoGenesis but it didn't work. Then I used gdfimage.exe to build an Xbox iso of the .bin and .cue files and burned it on another CDRW. But I can't start this one either. When I select 'Launch Inserted CD' it doesn't work and when I try to start the .bin file in the NeoGenesis file explorer it also doesn't work. What do you have to do to run a Sega CD game with NeoGenesis?? Btw the image works fine in Gens on the PC.

Edited by Jin Kazama, 10 August 2004 - 11:25 AM.

#2 yadster

yadster

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:25 PM

You should be able to launch an iso/bin as you would a normal game through the browser but I think it could be a problem with the media you are using.

I recently burnt some sega cd isos to onto a Maxell DVD-R and while it showed them in the listing most of them wouldn't play. Ones that did would stutter while most would just exit to the Sega CD menu after pressing the START button (instead of going through the Sonic animation and onto the game). Tried again and still the same problem. Finally I tried another much cheaper brand of DVD-R and they all played without a hitch - including Snatcher.

I would try and copy the game over to your hard drive, then you shouldn't have any problems. My Xbox hates CDRs and seems very hit and miss at coping with CDRWs, thats why I bought a cheapy DVD burner - plus the fact I'm an idiot and can't work out this Xbox FTP malarkey laugh.gif

#3 Dai_UK

Dai_UK

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:54 PM

Hi,

I've got original MegaCD games to work, mainproblem was remembering to set to the correct region otherwise we just got the megacd boot screen (Looks so dated now it's funny)

Don't know if this may help

#4 Spark

Spark

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:43 PM

I had no idea it would load Sega CD Games.

Come on, Road Avenger. biggrin.gif

#5 farsight

farsight

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 02:15 PM

I've got about 45 Sega CD games on my Xbox Created all the bin files and Mp3's myself. all except Luner have worked fine for me. I do remember a while back I had a problem with Neogenesis on one of the earlier versions. If your not using the most up to date one i sujest trying that.

Also make sure you have the segaCD region on auto as well.

Other than that try completly removing it from you Xbox and uploading it again.

Hope this helps

#6 bdisagree

bdisagree

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (farsight @ Aug 10 2004, 03:18 PM)
I've got about 45 Sega CD games on my Xbox Created all the bin files and Mp3's myself. all except Luner have worked fine for me. I do remember a while back I had a problem with Neogenesis on one of the earlier versions. If your not using the most up to date one i sujest trying that.

Also make sure you have the segaCD region on auto as well.

Other than that try completly removing it from you Xbox and uploading it again.

Hope this helps

Damn, are the games really that good?? 45?? (How much space does that take up?)

Brian

Edited by bdisagree, 10 August 2004 - 05:27 PM.

#7 artynerd

artynerd

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:48 PM

A lot less than you think. Most of the CD space on many titles was used for audio, and when you compress them into mp3s, you save a lot of space. And yes, there were a lot of great Sega CD games smile.gif

#8 Spark

Spark

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:02 AM

Well actually, there weren't that many really, probably about 10 good ones.

I wouldn't mind playing Rebel Assault again though, it's been a while. biggrin.gif

#9 bdisagree

bdisagree

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE (artynerd @ Aug 10 2004, 06:51 PM)
A lot less than you think. Most of the CD space on many titles was used for audio, and when you compress them into mp3s, you save a lot of space. And yes, there were a lot of great Sega CD games smile.gif

I wish I had a Sega CD game on my HD right now, so I can understand this easier... how do you go about compressing the sound? And, in speaking of terms of how large a game is, how large? 200MB?

Brian

#10 VampX

VampX

X-S Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,149 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE (bdisagree @ Aug 11 2004, 04:26 AM)
And, in speaking of terms of how large a game is, how large? 200MB?

A quick check of my Sega CD iso dir shows that they average around 40 to 150 megs zipped.

#11 Peter2028

Peter2028

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:10 AM

The problem with the "launch CD" thing you said is because of the way your burning it, you said you burnt it in nero using the .cue file, well this won't work unless you spend ages making a custom .cue file. Mega CD Games can be a pain in the arse to burn.(Saturn is the same to) when you go "launch CD" in neogenesis it looking for an original Mega CD game, and your CD Needs to be Burnt right or you will just get the audio playing and can't load the game. the Best prog to use it called Easy-CD Pro 95. but you need your game in ISO/WAV format. if you just burn the actual .bin/.cue files on the CD/RW that SHOULD work, Delete Saves for this game, and like someone else Set the Region to the correct region required by the game, because sometimes Auto, selects the wrong one!

*EDIT*

Also make sure you ain't got the overclocked option for the game on, as this messes up Mega CD games most the time

Edited by Peter2028, 11 August 2004 - 03:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users