17 replies to this topic

#1 djohng

djohng

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:47 AM

I keep reading all the discussion on the FBA-X from the original developers (Jan)asking that FBA-XXX binary follow the text of the license(new games), which I agree with. I do like the source available for FBA-XXX because I compile my own custom versions. Thanks Gogo.

That being said...

I read through the comments on the subject above...again I agree that everyone should respect the developers on modifications of binaries/source code and derivative works of said source...

to quote the MAME license....

..."IV. Source Code Distribution
----------------------------
If you distribute the binary (compiled) version of MAME, you should also
distribute the source code. If you can't do that, you must provide a link
to a site where the source can be obtained.

...and

VII. Derivative Works
---------------------
Derivative works are allowed, provided their source code is freely
available...."

Please make the source updates available to the MAMEoX 0.84, including b2 and b3...I know b1 is available ,but you should also include any updates and version changes to follow the MAME license.

Thanks and keep up the great work for the amatuer programmers like myself!

djohng

Edited by djohng, 11 August 2004 - 04:54 AM.

#2 devlkore

devlkore

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Interests:Games, Photoshop, martial arts, soft toys, PokéMon, PowerPuff Girls, cartoons, music, jumping
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE (djohng @ Aug 11 2004, 02:50 AM)
I keep reading all the discussion on the FBA-X from the original developers (Jan)asking that FBA-XXX binary follow the text of the license(new games), which I agree with. I do like the source available for FBA-XXX because I compile my own custom versions. Thanks Gogo.

That being said...

Lantus: I keep reading your comments on the subject above...again I agree that everyone should respect the developers on modifications of binaries/source code and derivative works of said source...

to quote the MAME license....

..."IV. Source Code Distribution
----------------------------
If you distribute the binary (compiled) version of MAME, you should also
distribute the source code. If you can't do that, you must provide a link
to a site where the source can be obtained.

...and

VII. Derivative Works
---------------------
Derivative works are allowed, provided their source code is freely
available...."

Please make the source updates available to the MAMEoX 0.84, including b2 and b3...I know b1 is available ,but you should also include any updates and version changes to follow the MAME license.

Thanks and keep up the great work for the amatuer programmers like myself!

djohng

Don't start this, XPort knows about the license and just because he hasn't released the source on the same day as the binary, doesn't mean he won't release it at all.

#3 djohng

djohng

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:56 AM

There's nothing to start.

The MAME license says what it says.

#4 devlkore

devlkore

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Interests:Games, Photoshop, martial arts, soft toys, PokéMon, PowerPuff Girls, cartoons, music, jumping

Posted 11 August 2004 - 05:12 AM

The MAME license may "say what it says", but XPort is a respected (and deservedly so) developer. I just checked Xbins and there's source code available for all his emulators except MAME; since his port of MAME was released so recently, maybe he's tidying up the code so amateur programmers like yourself can understand it better, maybe not, the point is, I'm sure he will make the source code available and there is evidence to suggest that.

I can't be bothered to post any more, I'm no more XPort's forum body guard than you are MAME-Police.

BYEEEEE!!

#5 Leb99

Leb99

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 05:15 AM

If you have ever used XPort emulators before, you know he always distributes the source code.

That said, if you do not like that XPort is waiting on releasing the latest sources, do not support him or his emulators by using them and giving feedback.

He will release the source in due time if I know his methods.

Happy gaming.

#6 djohng

djohng

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:14 AM

I didn't start this message to get flamed by anyone...just asking xport to release the latest source of mameox when he releases the binaries... BTW...the source of 084b1 is out on the sourceforge site....

....did you ever stop to think other people may be working on MAMEoX to get faster loading times and the slow games like the MK series at full speed?? wink.gif I want to be sure I have the latest source version to build on...and share with the community.

#7 xemumanic

xemumanic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:22 AM

Xport deserves to have a little bit of slack. MAME has had a number of changes in recent versions, and the current xbox version isnt even based on the most up to date version of the source. There are two type of people who ever want source posted, the super-anal open source zealots who wouldnt do anything with the source anyway, and the ones who want it so they can make their own custom build with added features, and most likely, games that arent allowed in MAME, like the newer Neo Geo games.

I'm not going to act like I'm on some high horse; honestly the only reason I could care or not if the source was released is for the latter reason, but get off Xports back. If he doesnt post the source, no one can say much about it becasue he's done more than enough for us. Who would have thoguht he would even touch the MAMEoX code and add the feature everyone wanted? If you've looked that the MAMEoX page on sourceforge, its in shambles, and needs some work anyway.

So give Xport the benefit of the doubt. This is MAME people, the source is always posted sooner or later.

#8 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:20 AM

I would rather get binaries quickly, and let Xport get to posting the source when he can. Wouldn't you? uhh.gif

There is another possibility in this. Perhaps there are elements of the code that Xport does not want to make open-source, such as his VMM implementation. He might be trying to separate it before posting it (just speculation) wink.gif

He will release the source, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, so just be patient beerchug.gif

#9 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
  • Interests:mexico water, how when you touch a girl you get sweaty, costco hot dogs, proper first aid
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:57 AM

haha i like how we are defending illigal software. djohng you are a tool. if you ahve a problem with it you shoudl read the bottem of your xbox and not open it or alter it in any way ... you are SERIOUSLY crushign the developers at MS. in fact if you woudl like me to ... you feel strongly ... please post your personal info and i will inform MS of your grose misuse of there product.

oh while we are on the topic of flaming for no good reason.

wtf do you use mame for ... do you have a whole mame rom set (i bet you do) and do you have rights for all that software. blow me blow the GPL ....xport keep releasing what we all love you for.

djohng just wants to recompile it with his name on the "created by " screen anyway

oh yea compile it ... where did you get your compiler for FBAXXX ....i think you a offical software police are using a seriously stolen code. call up MS right now and inform them that you are not playing by there rules... but you feel others should. phhhfft what a tool.

(unless your are in paris where laws differ)

#10 XPort

XPort

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:12 PM

First, I already gave the source to the people who run the sourceforge page. What they do with it and how fast it appears on the website is completely out of my hands.

Second, as someone already pointed out, the b1 sources (which contains all the VM code) are already on sourceforge. The b2/b3 updates amount to a mere handful of code changes. Why on Earth would I withhold the sources to b2/b3? The absence of the b2/b3 code would surely not prevent any programmer worth their salt from working on the MAMEoX tree because the whole point of CVS is to allow for multiple people to work on the same code simultaneously.

I really do not appreciate the GPL zealots who magically appear within seconds of a new update screaming, "where's the source?!?!?!" It's particularly annoying when people quote chapter and verse of the GPL license as if they themselves are lawyers. It insinuates that my apparent actions (or inactions) are intentional and that I need to be reminded of "the law" (which is pretty shaky when it comes to quasi-legal XBE binaries anyway.) It's just plain rude.

Finally, you are not the owner/legal proprietor of MAME, therefore you have absolutely no say in what happens with the source code. You do not have the right to put words into the mouths of the MAME authors. They alone have the legal right to take action against people not adhering to the GPL. Furthermore, they are fully within their rights to allow exceptions to the GPL when they see fit. The proper course of action if you feel the GPL is being violated is to first contact the perpetrator to see if it's just a misunderstanding. (In this case, you should have sent a private message instead of posting a public forum message. You were simply "airing your dirty laundry", as they say. This is also rude.) If you cannot reach the perp or are unsuccessful in convincing them that they need to release the source, then you need to contact the original authors (the ones who control their GPL license.) It is up to them to take whatever course of action that seems fitting to them.

#11 devlkore

devlkore

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (XPort @ Aug 11 2004, 01:15 PM)
First, I already gave the source to the people who run the sourceforge page. What they do with it and how fast it appears on the website is completely out of my hands.

Second, as someone already pointed out, the b1 sources (which contains all the VM code) are already on sourceforge. The b2/b3 updates amount to a mere handful of code changes. Why on Earth would I withhold the sources to b2/b3? The absence of the b2/b3 code would surely not prevent any programmer worth their salt from working on the MAMEoX tree because the whole point of CVS is to allow for multiple people to work on the same code simultaneously.

I really do not appreciate the GPL zealots who magically appear within seconds of a new update screaming, "where's the source?!?!?!" It's particularly annoying when people quote chapter and verse of the GPL license as if they themselves are lawyers. It insinuates that my apparent actions (or inactions) are intentional and that I need to be reminded of "the law" (which is pretty shaky when it comes to quasi-legal XBE binaries anyway.) It's just plain rude.

Finally, you are not the owner/legal proprietor of MAME, therefore you have absolutely no say in what happens with the source code. You do not have the right to put words into the mouths of the MAME authors. They alone have the legal right to take action against people not adhering to the GPL. Furthermore, they are fully within their rights to allow exceptions to the GPL when they see fit. The proper course of action if you feel the GPL is being violated is to first contact the perpetrator to see if it's just a misunderstanding. (In this case, you should have sent a private message instead of posting a public forum message. You were simply "airing your dirty laundry", as they say. This is also rude.) If you cannot reach the perp or are unsuccessful in convincing them that they need to release the source, then you need to contact the original authors (the ones who control their GPL license.) It is up to them to take whatever course of action that seems fitting to them.

And XPort told it as it is unto thyne X-S brethren and lay the verbal smackdown upon djohng.

...quickly followed by the People's Elbow.

jester.gif

#12 Mephiska

Mephiska

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (XPort @ Aug 11 2004, 10:15 AM)

now thats ownage.

#13 DeaDSOuLz

DeaDSOuLz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:37 PM

Loves it

#14 artynerd

artynerd

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:05 PM

And XPort told it as it is unto thyne X-S brethren and lay the verbal smackdown upon djohng.

...quickly followed by the People's Elbow.

If ya smeeeeeeellllll.... What the Xport is pwning! rolleyes.gif (forgive me)

#15 djohng

djohng

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (XPort @ Aug 11 2004, 01:15 PM)
First, I already gave the source to the people who run the sourceforge page.  What they do with it and how fast it appears on the website is completely out of my hands.

Second, as someone already pointed out, the b1 sources (which contains all the VM code) are already on sourceforge.  The b2/b3 updates amount to a mere handful of code changes.  Why on Earth would I withhold the sources to b2/b3?  The absence of the b2/b3 code would surely not prevent any programmer worth their salt from working on the MAMEoX tree because the whole point of CVS is to allow for multiple people to work on the same code simultaneously. 

I really do not appreciate the GPL zealots who magically appear within seconds of a new update screaming, "where's the source?!?!?!"  It's particularly annoying when people quote chapter and verse of the GPL license as if they themselves are lawyers.  It insinuates that my apparent actions (or inactions) are intentional and that I need to be reminded of "the law" (which is pretty shaky when it comes to quasi-legal XBE binaries anyway.)  It's just plain rude.

Finally, you are not the owner/legal proprietor of MAME, therefore you have absolutely no say in what happens with the source code.  You do not have the right to put words into the mouths of the MAME authors.  They alone have the legal right to take action against people not adhering to the GPL.  Furthermore, they are fully within their rights to allow exceptions to the GPL when they see fit.  The proper course of action if you feel the GPL is being violated is to first contact the perpetrator to see if it's just a misunderstanding.  (In this case, you should have sent a private message instead of posting a public forum message.  You were simply "airing your dirty laundry", as they say.  This is also rude.)  If you cannot reach the perp or are unsuccessful in convincing them that they need to release the source, then you need to contact the original authors (the ones who control their GPL license.)  It is up to them to take whatever course of action that seems fitting to them.

Xport:

My apologies to you...next time I'll just PM you with my question...definately easier and less emotional for EVERYONE./sorry.

...I did not mean to imply anything or "be rude", I'm just use to seeing the source for the PC mame version released with the binary...that's all....period.

=====

As for the rest of the people that responded with the flames...have a beer, and chill out..geesh.

Forum moderator - please close the thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users