Photo

Easy Way To Stop Wrecking Ur X2l With A Bad Flash?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jcwacky

jcwacky

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 11:21 PM

I am wanting to try out XBtool, but I am afraid it might wreck my X2L if I flash it with a bad flash, but can I do this:

Modify the 4974 BIOS using XBtool then put the modified 4974 together with an original 4974 as a 1mb BIOS and flash to the X2L then if the modified bios is bad and doesnt work I could just switch over to the original 4974 BIOS with the BIOS jumber switch and I would then be able to flash it again.

Would this work?

#2 b0ink

b0ink

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 11:25 PM

Depends on how bad the flash is. If it goes corrupt/bad during the flash of the first one there is a very good chance the second BIOS will also be corrupted.

#3 fatbastard911

fatbastard911

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 01:31 AM

I made the same bios and it seemed to flash perfectly and the xbox had shut off. The bios were d6 and multi4794, now the xbox doesn't boot any video or sound. I've used the images perfectly before and no problems until xbtool came along. All I can say is that I dare you to try it, maybe you'll end off worse than me.
And just as proof that it's the bios image, when I remove the disable/enable switch the xbox boots up fine, without modchip, so good luck to ya!

#4 [)eacon]ndigo

[)eacon]ndigo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 10:40 AM

fatbastard911,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. All of the problems I've heard of were related to flashing an unknown BIOS. That would include one you patched with XBtool, because once you patch it, it's changed. There were no protections or warnings in the app about this, because it's beta, it's rapidly changing, and you aren't supposed to use it unless you have a way to reflash. I have added some protection against this in later builds. It will also have the ability to recognize a previously patched bios. That feature was turned off because the profiles.ini format was evolving and it was a pain in the ass to keep updating the profile writing code (and when I didn't, you'd get a missing key error upon loading a patched BIOS).

The latest build, 0.8.11, has some nice new features for those who want to try it. Please don't try it if you can't reflash a bad BIOS, because if you mess up and kill your Xbox you will become a bitter and angry person. BTW, I've flashed my BIOS with XBtool made patches now over a hundred times (literally) and have not yet made a bad one. There are other people working on patches who also use XBtool and they haven't reported a problem either. That isn't to say it can't happen, but I doubt that it will with the new protection against loading an unknow BIOS. Still, there could be bugs in that protection.

I'll probably add a profile for D.6 soon. And I'll be working on cleaning up the code and doing what I can to make sure you can't make a bad BIOS (unless you screw around with the profiles.ini). Which reminds me, always use the config files what come in the same archive with with your XBtool app. Don't use older ones with a new version and don't edit profiles.ini unless you really understand how it works.

Remember: don't use it if you can't recover from a bad flash. Bugs happen.

-NghtShd (a.k.a [)eacon]ndigo)

Edited by [)eacon]ndigo, 21 January 2003 - 10:41 AM.

#5 james_row

james_row

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 12:35 PM

A complete tutorial would probably help out the newbies.

Edited by james_row, 21 January 2003 - 12:57 PM.

#6 [)eacon]ndigo

[)eacon]ndigo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 02:03 PM

True, but as options have been rapidly changing there was no point in putting much time into that. The features seem to be stabilizing now, so I may get on to putting together better documentation soon. Until then, here's my short tutorial:

Read the docs.
Open a supported BIOS.
Click some options.
Save the BIOS.
Flash.

Oh, and don't choose F as your boot partition if there is no dashboard on F. And if you do, don't blame me. tongue.gif

Edited by [)eacon]ndigo, 21 January 2003 - 02:04 PM.

#7 sphere man

sphere man

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 January 2003 - 03:29 PM

I had the same idee of doing this well i treid it and it worked i thought i let you know

#8 jcwacky

jcwacky

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:50 PM

Can someone please send me a corrupted bios image that does not boot as I have 2 X2Ls so I can try out my above method and fix it if it dont work.

Cheers
james@purplespider.co.uk

#9 b0ink

b0ink

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:59 PM

If you have a 1.1 box just load a 1.0 bios or vise versa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users