• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nevets

Nevets

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:45 PM

I'm having trouble getting my new HDD setup in my modded xbox. It won't boot from the dvd to setup the ftp services. But never mind that...

As a work-around, could I configure the new HDD in a buddy's modded xbox (same version and mod chip) then drop it back in to my xbox?

Has anyone tried this before?

#2 k1114

k1114

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:57 PM

As long as you unlock your hard drive first, yes.

#3 Nevets

Nevets

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:05 PM

It's brand new hdd, so it shouldn't be locked in the first place.

So after I format/setup the drive in my buddies xbox, I'll drop it back into my xbox and I should be good? I'll try it out and update.

#4 Suave

Suave

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:08 PM

New hard drives are unlocked out of the box any right? So he could just put his new HD into his buddy's cables and format it that way right? Then it should be able to go right back into his xbox without problem?

Any reason why and xbox wouldn't boot from the DVD ROM anymore? If it worked one night a bunch of times and not anymore then something went wrong.... but what?

#5 thedustycelt

thedustycelt

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:36 PM

Any reason why and xbox wouldn't boot from the DVD ROM anymore? If it worked one night a bunch of times and not anymore then something went wrong.... but what?

1.) The disk is scratched or damaged (Check it in your buddies xbox)

2.) The DVD drive is dying (Check it with other burned media that you know is good)

3.) The modchip is no longer booting. (Some bioses look just like the original MS bios, so it is easy to think your chip is working when it isn't)

#6 Nevets

Nevets

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 10:51 PM

1.) The disk is scratched or damaged (Check it in your buddies xbox)

------> Tried 3 different disks, same problem

2.) The DVD drive is dying (Check it with other burned media that you know is good)

------> It will read the same disks when I select "Lauch DVD" from the Evox Dash

3.) The modchip is no longer booting. (Some bioses look just like the original MS bios, so it is easy to think your chip is working when it isn't)

------> I'm pretty sure it is. It's an x2.3b Pro and when I disable it I get the
------> regular dask back. Is there some way to be 100% sure?

Thanks for the input guys....

#7 thedustycelt

thedustycelt

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 18 August 2004 - 11:44 PM

Interesting....

If you are booting to your evox dash, then your chip is definatly working.

you can run the disk from the evox dash, but you can't boot it? Try the disks in your buddies xbox. If they work there, then you know it isn't the disks.

I am thinking too posibilities... Perhaps the disks are burned wrong (check with your buddies xbox)

Or the drive is having a hard time reading the disks. When you boot, it is timing out, but when you load from the dashboard, it takes a little longer but finaly loads successfully. If your buddie will let you, try his drive & if the problem goes away, then it is a drive isue.

Hope this helps, it is kind of a stab in the dark...

cheers beerchug.gif

#8 anti-hu

anti-hu

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:15 AM

did you edit the bios at all using evtool or xbtool? if so then is it possible that you may have deleted the boot partition exe from the dvd section?

#9 FallsInc

FallsInc

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:13 AM

ah, just use your freinds box, the format and evox install will be fine, you can go from there.

#10 Nevets

Nevets

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 12:36 AM

modded xbox now working.

finally set up replacement HDD in pc using boot disk

thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users