11 replies to this topic

#1 brywalker

brywalker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 07:37 PM

This here is SO messed up, I can't even begin to explain it. I will try though.

I made a bios. orig4034 + orig4034 + x2 4974 + x2 4974. All images alone are tested and good in their own 4x256 formats.

When I flash it, I get 2 boots and red/green flash. I ground A18, I get the same. HERES WHERE IT GETS FUCKED UP!

When I ground A19, it boots the original bios! Now with the format I described above, shouldn't A18 boot the original bios, #2, and A19 boot x2, #3??

I thought that it was the following:

4 - default
3 - A19
2 - A18
1 - A19+A18

Beyond that, any multibios I make, will not work the first 2 banks!

I need some help here please. It is driving me absolutely mad!!

Update: I flashed it with a 4034 + 4034 + x2 4973 + x24973 and it was just fine.

I have no idea whats going on here, but I want to use the 4974 and hopefully with color mods so I need some help here.

ALSO, A19 STILL boots hte original 4034 bios.

Is my system like real defective or what? Everyone says that A18 is supposed to boot the 2nd bank which should be the original.

HELP!!!

Edited by brywalker, 21 January 2003 - 07:38 PM.

#2 slizzap

slizzap

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 07:53 PM

Couple different things here. First off, some of the information on this site is wrong...it still needs to be corrected.

Grounding points A18 and A19 will do the following:

Nothing grounded = boot 4th bank, default
A18 grounded = boot 3rd bank
A19 grounded = boot 2nd bank
A18 + A19 grounded = boot 1st bank

If your homemade BIOS was truly in the following format:
orig4034 + orig4034 + x2 4974 + x2 4974

Then grounding A19 will boot the original 4034 BIOS, grounding A18 will boot the x2 BIOS.

My suggestion would be to post the command you used to create your BIOS and tell us which point you have grounded. I'm assuming this is wired up to a switch. What kind of switch did you use?

#3 slizzap

slizzap

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 07:59 PM

If you want to keep it in stock form for Xbox Live, I'd recommend leaving the retail BIOS in the 4th bank of your BIOS. And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 4974 BIOS a multi-v1.0+v1.1 BIOS? I know that the Evox D.6 had problems running alongside the retail BIOS with a multiBIOS TSOP.

I personally use the following setup with A19 grounded:
Evox 2.6 Blue + Evox 2.6 Blue + Evox 2.6 Blue + Retail 4034

Switch off boots Retail, switch on boots Evox.

#4 brywalker

brywalker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 08:24 PM

See my thing was that you don't want XBOX Live to see *beyond* the bios to a modded one, if they implement a check, hence why you would have it boot modded by default, then switch to a original bios therefore it can only check 1, 2, or 3 banks depending on how you have it set up.

I set it up with this command:

Copy /B 4034.bin + 4034.bin + 4974.bin + 4974.bin 4034_4394.bin

I have a switch between A19 and ground. Off wouldn't boot (boots now with 4973) and on would boot original 4034. It is a DPDT switch, as I am wiring LEDs to tell what mode it is in.

I think that it has to be something with the 4974 because it requires no RC4 key and works on both systems. Maybe it doesn't play well with others or something. I really wanted to use this bios, because I like the ingame reset better than I like the evox one. That, and when nexgen gets good, I plan on migrating there.

On the flip side, I would like color mods too. Anyone give me a link to a patcher that will work with X2 4973? I tried it with xbtool but there is no profile. I have FanCbox .25 or something but that doesn't know it either.

Thanks again guys!

B

#5 phantax

phantax

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 08:34 PM

Definately does seem to be a problem with the x2 4974 and d6 bios not wanting to play together well with a Retail Xbox bios on the TSOP as well. I cannot boot a retail bios from any spot on the TSOP if one of the other banks has a x2 4974 or evox d.6, albeit works like a champ if I use 4973 or evox 2.6

#6 brywalker

brywalker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 08:44 PM

Sweet.

Thanks for the help, I thought I was going insane.

On that other note, I have fanCbox .50 and apparently there is support for 4973, but when I load it it gives me the whole unknown bios, cannot patch crap. I have the needed info for the ini, so that is not a problem. Actually this happens why I try to load ANY bios.

Any idea?

Thanks for the 1000th time!

B

Edited by brywalker, 21 January 2003 - 08:45 PM.

#7 phantax

phantax

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 08:48 PM

No idea on the FanCBox, I usually just grab the premade colormods off xbins

#8 brywalker

brywalker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 08:53 PM

phantax:

Please check your PMs.

Thanks.

Bry

#9 slizzap

slizzap

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (brywalker @ Jan 21 2003, 02:24 PM)
See my thing was that you don't want XBOX Live to see *beyond* the bios to a modded one, if they implement a check, hence why you would have it boot modded by default, then switch to a original bios therefore it can only check 1, 2, or 3 banks depending on how you have it set up.

Well, I can't say I really understand your logic here. Since by default it only reads the 4th BIOS bank. That being the case there's no data after the retail BIOS. Whereas if you have the retail BIOS in the 1st bank, then there are 3 BIOS images after it that you could read. Note that this is assuming it were actually possible to do a check and read the full TSOP.

Just an FYI, I've done numerous TSOP flashes for friends. They all use my standard "hacked + hacked + hacked + retail" format. A couple of them have been using Xbox Live with the switch disabled for over a month now. So it definitely works fine that way.

#10 bluespot

bluespot

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 04:03 AM

Just an FYI, I've done numerous TSOP flashes for friends. They all use my standard "hacked + hacked + hacked + retail" format. A couple of them have been using Xbox Live with the switch disabled for over a month now. So it definitely works fine that way.

Another FYI, if you put the retail BIOS in the last bank (so it boots by default), you're not gonna be able to flash anything else to the TSOP without reinstalling a modchip. Why? Because the entire chip can only be addressed from the default position. Grounding A18 or A19 in any combination will leave you unable to flash the TSOP.

Also, any other word on why the X2 4974 and Evox D.6 can't be used in multi-bios TSOP configurations? Seems very strange to me...there must be some part of the boot up routine that looks beyone the 1st (well, last actually) 2Mb of the chip and into the other images. When it dosen't get the code it expects (because there's a different BIOS there), you don't get a boot. Maybe due to the fact that this started off as a 4Mb image and was later 'optimized' to fit in as a 2 Mb image? Also, some misinformation earlier...all the other images work in the multibios work, it's just X2 4974 position that dosen't work.

#11 ice1138

ice1138

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 February 2003 - 12:57 PM

Another FYI, if you put the retail BIOS in the last bank (so it boots by default), you're not gonna be able to flash anything else to the TSOP without reinstalling a modchip. Why? Because the entire chip can only be addressed from the default position. Grounding A18 or A19 in any combination will leave you unable to flash the TSOP.

This is not true, all you have to do is boot into one of the other banks (A18 and A19) and then unground them and then Flash.

-ice1138

#12 bluespot

bluespot

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 06:44 AM

If you insist on doing things the hard way...sure. Just make sure that you get the switch position right before you flash or you're not gonna be booting anything. IMO, no reason to put M$ BIOS in position 4, they don't check for it now, and I seriously doubt they ever will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users