• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FryRice

FryRice

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 01:35 PM

I have SBC Yahoo DSl. They provided me with a 2Wire Home Portal/Wireless Router. It only has 1 ethernet port, a USB port, and a phone port. My problem is, I'm trying to get my PC and XBOX networked so i can use XBConnect. Everything's fine if I connect the homeportal to my PC via ethernet cable, and my laptop via wireless. but how do i connect my xbox? i tried connecting the portal to an SMC Wireless router and then my PC and xbox to the SMC, but PC won't have internet connection and if i try to use my laptop on XBConnect, my xbox can't find the games i try to join. i tried hooking up my 2wire to a hub instead of my SMC Router and got the same results(should i have used cross over cable between 2wire and hub?).

any suggestions?

#2 kiwidj

kiwidj

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 05:19 AM

Easiest way is probably to either buy a wireless access point (Eg D-Link DWL-2000AP+) for your xbox to connect OR a wireless router with 4 (for instance) ethernet ports so that you can connect your xbox and pc at the same time.

I guess you decision should be based on whether the xbox is in the same room as your pc

#3 FryRice

FryRice

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:25 PM

i did try attaching another router to the 2wire dsl gateway/router, but that didnt' work either

#4 gsgleason

gsgleason

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (FryRice @ Aug 20 2004, 05:28 AM)
i did try attaching another router to the 2wire dsl gateway/router, but that didnt' work either

it would work if it ws set up correctly. Was it a router with a built in switch?

If your dsl gateway has a WAP built in, it's probably a router itself. What model is it?

If it's a router, get an ethernet switch. If it's not, get a router with a built in switch.

#5 FryRice

FryRice

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:54 PM

well finally got this working. simplest way was to connect my pc to the router via USB, and then hookup my xbox to the router via ethernet. then my laptop worx fine over wireless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users