#1 ncasebee

ncasebee

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:01 PM

Which are the very best quality of DVD-R media. I've heard Verbatim, and I've heard Taiyo Yuden. I've also been recommened Verbatim DVD-RW. Now, which of these has the very best reflectivity? I want to know, becuase I want my backups to be the quietest they can be. Now, if Verbatim is good because of Taiyo Yuden dye, then I will just get Taiyo Yuden, because I don't want to play the guessing games of buying name brand media.

Also, what is making the noise when a Dvd backup is being read? Is it something a replacement Dvd drive will fix? Or is it media related?A combination of both? Is it the laser itself, or the in the PS2's case, the laser head moving up and down the rail. As my quote indicates, would oiling that spar help?

Here is a post I made on PS2-Scene.org, because I also want the best DVD media for my PS2.

I have a v7, PS2 with a Messiah 1.33b. I used TDK DVD-R for a long time, and now I'm using Ritek G04 DVD-R. I think both are very good for DVD backup.
For CD backup I use TDK cds. However, with my PS2 I do expierence a lot of read noise. Nothing extreme, but still annoying, and louder than originals.

A thing about dvd and cd media. I still have yet to find the absolute report, on the absolute best media for the Xbox(DVD-R)/PS2(DVD-R)/PS1 (CD-R) games. Some say Verbatim, but doesn't it all boil down to reflectivity. Also, a lot of people swear by Ritek, for the Xbox. Is there a chart that shows the reflectivity of all medias? What's the reflectivity of Tdk/Ritek/Verbatim/Taiyo Yuden etc?

What exactly causes read noise? Is it the laser head, going up and down the rail? Or is it something else? If this was the case, wouldn't just oiling up the rail make the noises disappear?

I have had my PS2 since approx winter 2002. I have been playing backups using the above media, since then.

Basically, I want to get rid of read noise. How do I do that?

I am also pondering the question of getting a new ps2 laser. At 43$ for a new one, I don't know. That is a third of a new console.

I did make some pot adjustments briefly a while back, along with cog adjustments to try fix red screens. However the red screens were the previous chip and not the ps2 laser, so I set ps2 laser back to it's original settings.

How does one get rid of read noise? Same goes for Xbox. What causes back up read noise there. I have a replacement Thomson drive, and am debating whether to put it in.

I do not want to hear, my dvd backup. I've completed some of the quest by starting to use optimized backups, with XDVDFS_TOOLS. This helps some too. Who expierences DVD read noise? Is it the Thomson drive? ??? Many questions.

"Quiet Down" Worms 3d (PS2) (Dvd Decryptor) (1x) (Ritek G04)
Full Spectrum Warrior (Xbox) (XDVDFS Tools/XDVDFS_MAKER/XDVDFS_Umper) (1x) (Dvd Decryptor Burn)

I can't stand it, when I can hear a game streaming in the middle of a mission as Full Spec and Worms do.

Oh Yeah, I have a 1.0 Xbox, Thomson Drive. I have a brand new factory direct Thomson sitting next to me here, but I haven't put it in yet. I want to clear this up first.

I guess I better sum up the questions

1.Which DVD-R's have the very best quality ?(Reflectivity?)(Mimic pressed discs the very best.)

2.Also, what is making the noise when a Dvd backup is being read? How can I fix this? New laser/drive? Media? Backup procedure?

3. Oh, yeah, for PS2/PS1 Cd based, I know this is Xbox-Scene, What CD-R's have the very best quality? (Reflecitvity?)

Edited by ncasebee, 19 August 2004 - 06:18 PM.

#2 pepsik

pepsik

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:55 PM

1. Riteks are my queitest discs but Apple discs are also very good. Verbatims are good but they do contract out so sometimes you might get CMC dye instead of Taiyo Yuden.

2. The noise can depend on a few things, dust in the lense is a big cause. The speed which the disc was burnt is another factor. On ps2 some folks get better read times from 2x burnt discs and others report 24x burnt discs work well. If anything give your drive a good cleaning. Or consider getting a samsung drive.

3.cd-r media is basically the same as dvd-r media when it comes to manufacturing. I've used riteks for years and verbatims are usually made better than the dvd-r counterpart. Fujifilm uses Taiyo Yuden dye sometimes.

You know who the good manufacturers are already as you seem to have them listed. Except for TDK......they seem to always use CMC dye, which is just crap.

#3 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:28 PM

Verbatim generally use the Mitsubishi Chemicals dye which is great but unless they are on sale, Taiyo Yuden are cheaper. After seeing bench tests of various different media, I am convinced that Taiyo Yuden is the best BAR-NONE. With that said, Mitsubishi Chemicals (aka MCC) is right on it's heels. So I would simply say to go for the one that you can find the best price on as the difference between the two would be very minimal. If you do go the Verbatim (Mitsubishi Chemical) route you will have to keep an eye out for specials, and make sure to check the packaging and see if it actaully says that they are manufacured by Mitsubishi Chemicals (you will see the Mitsubishi logo on the back). As mentioned above though, Taiyo Yuden are generally better priced and just a hair more compatible/durable. You can get 50 packs of 4x Taiyo Yuden DVD-R for $45+shipping from http://www.rima.com right now. As for the person who told you Verbatim DVD-RW were the best. . .well, yes and no. Verbatim could easily be one of the best DVD-RW medias out there but there is no comparing the compatibility of DVD-RW to DVD-R, no matter how good the dye is. Stick to a quality DVD-R media for best results. Ritek DVD-R are definitely the best media for the cost but if you want the absolute best, then I would say Taiyo Yuden is what you are looking for.

#4 Jagaer

Jagaer

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:55 PM

Taiyo Yuden are the best (in my experience, and that of the tests done at cdfreaks) but I prefer Riteks as they are easier to find and a little less expensive.

If you want your xbox to be quiet, not just the backup/laser, why are you still using a v1.0? It is MUCH louder than the later revisions.

#5 ncasebee

ncasebee

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:15 AM

I'm only worried about DVD read noise, not Gpu/Case fan noise. Also, how much would replacing the lasers help. However, if original Dvd's are still quiet, there is no reason to replace a laser, because quiet can still be achieved. Right?

I guess the same goes for cd media. Verbatim/Taiyo Yuden.

I'm not trying to achieve compatibility, I'm trying to achieve silence. However, I guess they are all interconnected.

Just ordered the ones you suggested, have been eyeing those for some time. I'll see what the very best media has to offer, noise level wise. Hopefully, I won't be able to hear them. Please!!! Please!!!!! Wouldn't it be sweet if they were as quiet as originals. They are the best right. I've done a little research too, and Taiyo Yuden is apparently of extremely high quality. I guess I'll see.

Next, I have to decide on CD-R media.(I know this is PS2 related, but.)

I guess it's verbatim(DataLifePlus) or Taiyo Yuden. Which will it be? Or is there another. I am looking for "The Very Best". In terms of quality/sound.

New titile for this forum. "The Very Best."

Edited by ncasebee, 20 August 2004 - 02:18 AM.

#6 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:30 AM

Taiyo Yuden is also the champ for CD-R media. With CD-R media you have two options, you can either order the Taiyo Yuden branded CD-Rs from rima.com or you can go down to your local store and pick up the Fujifilm CD-Rs that are MADE IN JAPAN. They must be MADE IN JAPAN. These are gauranteed to always carry the Taiyo Yuden dye and it isn't too hard to find specials on them from officemax or bestbuy. Apparently you can also find the Taiyo Yuden dye on the Fujifilm DVD-R discs that are made in Japan however, the cost is quite a bit more than on the generic Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs. For the PS2, keep in mind that CD-R are the most stressful on the laser and reguardless of how high a quality you are getting (even TY) there is a world of difference in noise between a 4x burned CD-R (slowest speed on most newer burners) and a 16x CD-R. I won't lie to you and tell you that it is as quiet as a factory pressed original but it certainly isn't the horrible "chainsaw" sound that you often hear with CD-Rs. Anyways, for the noise factor on the XBOX and PS2 (CD-R or DVD-R) try burning at slower speeds and see if that also makes a difference. Anyways, if you wish to carry on the conversation about PS2 then go over to ps2ownz or ps2news.

Edited by jesterrace777, 20 August 2004 - 07:30 AM.

#7 eminvil_12

eminvil_12

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:27 AM

hi personally i use VERBATIM(data life iplus)DVD-R.
i have tried heaps of other types of media but these are extremely quite and pretty cheap when found on sale.
I recomend verbatim data life plus dvd-r all the way
The quality is also very good, not one has frze or not worked for me yet wink.gif

Edited by eminvil_12, 20 August 2004 - 09:29 AM.

#8 truefate

truefate

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:38 AM

my friend uses TDK and has never had an issue. as a matter of fact thats what we used to flash his bios and install evox. maybe we got lucky but he has been using them and only them for some time with not one issue and he is running a thompsons crap dirve :}

#9 ncasebee

ncasebee

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:55 PM

I've tried TDK. Uhg...I had a totally different expierence. My expierence: Slow, and extremely loud. Loading times were as much as 20 seconds greater than on Ritek. I'm never using TDK again. But remember, you may have gotten good dye, and I got shitty die.

I think I might go down to staples and get some FujiFilm, if what your saying is true, if Taiyo Yuden is guaranteed on Fujifilm, and that die is the very best. Then I don't have to wait.

#10 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 August 2004 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (truefate @ Aug 20 2004, 02:41 AM)
my friend uses TDK and has never had an issue. as a matter of fact thats what we used to flash his bios and install evox. maybe we got lucky but he has been using them and only them for some time with not one issue and he is running a thompsons crap dirve :}

I've used TDK. They worked great (spindle of 100) until the last 20. All of the last 20 failed. TDK's quality varies a LOT!

#11 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:33 PM

That is because TDK is not consistant with who it chooses to manufacture it's dyes. In the past they generally stuck to Ritek and Taiyo Yuden, however as of late they have started using dye manufacturers like CMC Mag quite frequently (lower quality). This is why I don't recommend name brand media (for the most part) as they will just end up costing you more and you are taking a gamble with what you are getting from batch to batch. It isn't unheard of name brand companies to have different quality dyes in the same batch. @ncasebee, the Taiyo Yudens I listed (DVD-R) are going to be significantly cheaper than their Fujifilm counterparts, or were you talking about the CD-R media?

Edited by jesterrace777, 20 August 2004 - 06:34 PM.

#12 ncasebee

ncasebee

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:00 PM

I was talking about CD media. I already bought the Taiyo Yudens DVD-R you suggested at Rima.com.

#13 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:30 PM

Oh okay. Post back with your findings. wink.gif *EDIT* BTW make sure you check the label on the Fujifilm and make sure it says MADE IN JAPAN. I don't want you to buy some Fujis made in Taiwan and then ask me why they don't carry Taiyo Yuden. wink.gif

Edited by jesterrace777, 20 August 2004 - 07:43 PM.

#14 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:34 PM

Wow glad all you media gurus posted. I have been enlightened. beerchug.gif

#15 ncasebee

ncasebee

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:13 PM

Heading down to get some Fujis. Yeah, I think this post is very good, and useful for everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users