#1 los93sol

los93sol

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 21 August 2004 - 07:10 AM

Alright I have my v.1.1 xbox softmodded and TSOP flashed with X2 4981.67 and I am using UnleashX. I have the switches installed to split my TSOP into four banks also. I have been doing a little reading about mythTV and freevo. I do not know anything about linux at all. I also have friendtech media centers latest release installed on my xbox. I am running windows XP on my home computer and have an ati tv wonder ve tuner card installed. My xbox is connected directly to the computer via crossover cable. Are there any step-by-step n00b type tutorials to get mythTV working with my style setup? Or can anybody provide me with a tutorial for my setup? Any help would be awesome, I have tried searching all over and cannot come up with anything that I can understand. Found a few tutorials but they do not explain how to setup the PC part of the setup. Again, I am trying to use the xbox as a regular softmod with my x2 4981.67 bios running unleashX on one bank, then I want to be able to switch over to a different bank to use my xbox as a PVR. Has this been done already? Or do I HAVE to choose either one or the other?

#2 phire

phire

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:08 AM

in order to do this you will need a dedicated backend server for mythtv (look at the recommended spec list on mythtv.org)

Unofortunately for you there are no 1. 2. 3. step n00b tutorials to get this up and running.. Your card may or may not be supported at all.

However if it is.. i recognize its a software based encoder.. meaning youll need a pretty mean machine to stream and record a show at the same time, even jsut recoridng a show will tax a slower system since its doing all teh video processing handling in the cpu, not the tv card... (onboard mpeg2 encoders do this work right on the card itself offloading the cpu, hence their hefty price tags)

On another note, there is absolutely no reason to have a softmod AND you tsop split 4 ways.. it doesnt make any sense... rmove that softomd and boot from your 4981 bank of the tsop. Once that alternate bios is in ram you can run any unsigned code youd like, and have no need to exploit the dashboard.

About the only thing you are gonna be able to do with yoru current setup, is get a pvr app for windows XP machine, and have its output directory be a samba share that xbmc can access.. not as nice or transparent as a backend/frontend combo.. but.. youll be able to play back your captures...

#3 los93sol

los93sol

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 21 August 2004 - 12:46 PM

Thank you so much for responding. I think I might be misunderstanding what MythTV on the xbox is actually going to be doing. I was thinking it would actually be able to control the tuner card on my computer and setup record times and whatnot just like Tivo. I was thinking I would be able to use the Xbox DVD remote to flip through the menus showing what is playing and when, as well as being able to flip through the channels. I don't really know if this is possible or if this is even what I would be able to do, from reading your response it does not sound like that is even what the program is meant for. On the other hand I found out that my tuner card is compatible with MythTV and my home computer is pretty decent. It is 2.4ghz plenty of ram and tons of drive space. I don't know if this matters or not, but it is Dell's media machine. I am going to do some more research now that you have started me on the right path so I am not just running around searching blindly. Let me know if there are any places I need to search for information or if you can think of anything else that would help or maybe get me on the right track even more. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users