#1 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:51 AM

Found at http://www.geocities...ononochimpanzee

This one allows you to upgrade your HD in place.

The difference between this and ldot's xboxhdm is that his run on PC, mine run on Xbox.

Mine is designed for people who are :

1. extremely rich and runs Mac
2. extremely poor who doesn't have a burner nor a PC(I am using a 5 years old notebook)
3. extremely lazy

Now people said that hotswap/hotplug may have the remote possibility of damaging your IDE device as it is not designed for such activities so if you are paranoid and do have a PC, play safe and use xboxhdm.

EDIT: thanks for ipodder2003 for hosting the file, the package can also be found here
http://jono.forbidde...les/chimp26.zip , though there is no instruction but it should be pretty easy to follow

Edited by chimpanzee, 25 August 2004 - 12:22 PM.

#2 remedee

remedee

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:22 AM

I haven't actually tried this yet, but assuming it works as stated, all I can say is that is cool shit, good job chimpanzee!

#3 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:05 AM

It works on my 1.1 Xbox though I can't say for sure if there are bugs that I have missed(hopefully not as I have tested it in a number of 'dry run' scenario) :-)

BTW, you can try out the cloning even you don't do the swap. It just dump the data from the HD to a black hole, no harm done. Of course, you cannot do the lock/unlock as I hardcoded it to only do it for the secondary harddisk though if you know linux script, you can make modication to it and try that on the master HD.

Edited by chimpanzee, 25 August 2004 - 09:22 AM.

#4 ldots

ldots

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 10:14 AM

Just popped in after weeks of absence...

Nice job on these packages (linux UDE installer and HD tool). Just had a look at the scripts and tools included. Development is good, but a little credit would have been nice wink.gif

The difference between this and ldot's xboxhdm is that his run on PC, mine run on Xbox.

Another difference : Your tool is purely a HDD upgrade tool. Since you use the 2.6 kernel you cannot access the fatx filesystem. Xboxhdm can also be used as a rescue disc.

Nice job on the xpad driver and linux loader. I'd like to make use of those in the future.

#5 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (ldots @ Aug 25 2004, 11:17 AM)
Just popped in after weeks of absence...

Nice job on these packages (linux UDE installer and HD tool). Just had a look at the scripts and tools included. Development is good, but a little credit would have been nice wink.gif

Another difference : Your tool is purely a HDD upgrade tool. Since you use the 2.6 kernel you cannot access the fatx filesystem. Xboxhdm can also be used as a rescue disc.

Nice job on the xpad driver and linux loader. I'd like to make use of those in the future.

ah, sorry.

Since I seldom care about credit, I didn't pay too much attention to that either :-P

Actually, I hope that you and a number of other authors who have created those executables/xbes would include some copyright material into the source so at least people running it would notice that.

I have no intention to take credit, just lazy.

As for rescue, it is basically self explained as if I cannot boot up Xbox, there is no way I can run anything on it :-)

#6 garyopa

garyopa

X-S Genius

• Admin
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Embedded Hardware and Firmware
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:29 AM

Better to get your files hosted at the "usual places"

As "geocities" has shut down your site, due to too much
users accessing the files, going over their allowed fixed
"bandwidth" for a general free web site.

But the utility does like very good.

#7 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:44 AM

geocities is my last resort as freewebs.com doesn't allows me to up load file > 750K and usual place are not too keen on hosting my stuff too, after all, I ain't one of those fame characters like ldots :-)

#8 mynuffinfutsitch

mynuffinfutsitch

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 01:31 AM

i want to bump this because of this well thought out tool , wish i could have done it!

#9 forthex

forthex

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 September 2004 - 01:50 AM

my parents won't let me take apart the computer, so i can't use xboxhdm. and i fucked up one of my xbox, cause i'm stuck in a clock loop, so if i could use xboxhdm on my xbox, that would be great! This is a good step to making xbox HDD recovery, cloning, and modifying self contained! Good job!

#10 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (forthex @ Sep 5 2004, 02:53 AM)
my parents won't let me take apart the computer, so i can't use xboxhdm. and i fucked up one of my xbox, cause i'm stuck in a clock loop, so if i could use xboxhdm on my xbox, that would be great! This is a good step to making xbox HDD recovery, cloning, and modifying self contained! Good job!

I was in the same boat as you which was why I made these tools. The only difference is that I have well passed the age of parental control, and that I am only poor and don't have a PC :-)

#11 forthex

forthex

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 06 September 2004 - 12:16 AM

are you planning to make this tool for Splinter Cell and 007: AUF?

#12 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:05 AM

no, I have no space to host it.

However, making one for yourself is pretty easy. Just get the 007/SC game save from somewhere else and copy over my files and it is done.

My programs don't care where you launch it from, it can be any game save or even just from Evox, or on a DVD.

#13 adeingolf

adeingolf

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:29 AM

Apologies if this is an obvious question but it is late and im extremely tired!

If my xbox is already softmodded with ltools mechassault and I wish to upgrade the hd, do I :-

Put the second tool from your page on a memory card, set up the two hard drives with power and run the gamesave from memory card and follow the menu/instructions?

I guess what im asking is, do I need your UDE installer or can I run the hdclone with an already installed softmod?!

Thanks anyway as the idea behind it is great!

#14 Trevante

Trevante

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,929 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (adeingolf @ Sep 6 2004, 02:32 AM)

If my xbox is already softmodded with ltools mechassault and I wish to upgrade the hd, do I :-

Put the second tool from your page on a memory card, set up the two hard drives with power and run the gamesave from memory card and follow the menu/instructions?

I guess what im asking is, do I need your UDE installer or can I run the hdclone with an already installed softmod?!

Gamesave exploits must be run from the HDD (copy the gamesave to your harddrive first). You cannot launch apps from a memory card.

As for installing the softmod on the new HDD, well you can just copy the UDE files from one HDD to another, so you don't need to use his UDE installer, but if cloning it doesn't work, then go ahead and just try his UDE installer.

#15 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (adeingolf @ Sep 6 2004, 02:32 AM)

since you already softmod your box, you just need to ftp the essential files in my hdtools zip file to Xbox and launch it from say EVOX. No need of the installer or a memory card. The memory card is just a way to get the file onto your box.

Treat both of my tools as "Xbox applications" which can be launched from one of the following :

1. game save(put them in the directory of the game save of your choice)
2. E:\apps\whatever
3. DVD

I only package for MechAssault because that is what I have and the most popular, IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users