X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:49 PM

First, my XBOX:
v1.0, replaced Thomson with a Sammy 616T, installing an Xecuter 2.3b Lite

Question about resistor R7D6

I did the wire install, and while soldering the wires to the LPC, I had the iron at too shallow of an angle, and I think I destroyed resistor "R7D6", which is the closest to the front of the XBOX of the three resistors along the left side of the LPC (in V1.0..the location varies depending on version).

It seems to work fine, but I don't want to run the thing with a possible bad component. Still trying to locate my multi-meter, so I can't tell you if my handiwork has left the resistor open, short, or somewhere in between.

Can anyone tell me the rating of resistor R7D6? It's location has me foolishly hoping that it isn't normally used, but eh....probably wishful thinking.

My Xecuter 2.3b Lite experience

Any my experience was a fairly good one, destroyed resistors aside. The dreaded D0 point is a bitch, until you remember that you just bought some flux, and it's sitting across the room laughing at you as you try to get solder to stick to the slippery PCB. I lightly roughed up the D0 point, and used a dentist pick type deal, stuck the point into the flux, and then in D0. Just a weeeeeeee bit, and BAP!, the D0 becomes pretty dang easy. The solder was BEGGING to get in that hole once I put that flux in there.

I did frag the first time. I powered on, got the blue LEDs, but the system self-powered off/on about three times over a few seconds, then red/green frag. This is when I noticed my resistor. I also noticed some solder splooge that might have been bridging two of the LPC connections. Desoldered, then resoldered neatly, and the chip worked!

The tutorials and FAQs on this site helped immensely! And to anyone having problems, just have patience, search the forums, and carefully read the tutorials! And DON'T RUSH THE SOLDERING JOB! That's some tiny crap..you can get eye fatigue fast and start making sloppy mistakes if you rush....like destroying things with that 600 degree piece of metal you are flopping around inside your XBOX. Take breaks often.

Bryan

#2 Ice9Tech

Ice9Tech

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:26 PM

I've installed a couple X2.3a's, and I've heard of people saying that they've accidetally desoldered a resistor. I'm sure the Xbox works fine, I think they are used for extra power or temporary memory... Something like that, but the Xbox can function without it. Try using the Xbox for a while, play a game for a long time (1-2 hours).

I can't remember if it was the 1st or the 2nd time I was installing an X2.3a, I burned my hand soldering it. I rested my hand and the iron on the metal shield for a second, and my middle finger on the other hand got sort-of glued to the iron for a few seconds, for the simple explination that it was too hot to feel... Man, did I ever pay... The skin literally boiled off of my finger. What a pleasent experience...

#3 jROC99

jROC99

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:32 PM

"Can anyone tell me the rating of resistor R7D6? It's location has me foolishly hoping that it isn't normally used, but eh....probably wishful thinking."

Its a 10Kohm resistor.
Resistor code is 103.

Enjoy
JROC

#4 bdonalds

bdonalds

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:17 PM

JROC-

Thanks! I'll have to test it to see if I have made an Ininifty Ohm resistor out of it...

QUOTE (Ice9Tech @ Aug 25 2004, 09:29 AM)
I can't remember if it was the 1st or the 2nd time I was installing an X2.3a, I burned my hand soldering it.  I rested my hand and the iron on the metal shield for a second, and my middle finger on the other hand got sort-of glued to the iron for a few seconds, for the simple explination that it was too hot to feel... Man, did I ever pay... The skin literally boiled off of my finger.  What a pleasent experience...

Ouch! I forget to mention my other soldering "faux pas"...but it's nothing compared to yours. I left my iron on, and went across the room to do something else for a minute. That's when I smelled it...I flew back the my work area, and saw my iron had scooched over and snuggled up against the XBOX case cover that was sitting on the table. Turning the edge of one corner into a droopy smelly mess. Good times!

I am seriously considering adding "Case Melty-Mod" to my list of mods in my signature....

thanks!

Bryan

Edited by bdonalds, 25 August 2004 - 04:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users