54 replies to this topic

#1 XPort

XPort

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 28 August 2004 - 05:59 PM

This is the main discussion thread for the most recent version of AdamX.

Use this thread to do any of the following:

Ask a question about AdamX
Report a bug about AdamX
Submit a feature request for AdamX

Do not use this thread to post about projects other than AdamX.
Do not post questions/bug reports/feature requests without first reading the FAQs for AdamX.
Do not ask where these projects can be downloaded.

Rule violators will get one warning. After that, you will be temporarily or permanently banned depending on the situation. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it has taken me a cumulatively long time to write the FAQs for these projects. If you cannot do me the courtesy of taking the time to read them, then I do not want you posting here.

This thread will be pruned/cleaned periodically. If you had a question in this thread and it is now gone, then it was either in violation of the rules or your answer can now be found in the FAQs section.

#2 dawnie

dawnie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 12:18 AM

HI, I am currently brand new to this modded x-box stuff, I have had my xbox for many years now, but I just got it modded, I have snes and nes on the HD already and it plays just fine. I downloaded Adamx v2 with roms and i cant seem to get my HD to notice it when I copy it onto the HD in the same dir as the other emulators and roms, I am sure many others have asked for help with this, but I couldnt find them in the faq's, if you cold possibly help me, I would appreciate it.

Confused

#3 bulldozer

bulldozer

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:none

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:55 PM

Yo, whenever I attepmt to play a game ending in .7z, i get to a frozen screen with the emualtor or whatever saying, "please make sure you put the cartitriage in first and then press power" or somthing like that and it does it to every game....anyone? NVm, i'm an idiot, I forgot to unrar...heehehe

Edited by bulldozer, 22 August 2006 - 04:57 PM.

#4 RMM

RMM

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:59 PM

If you want smaller file sizes you can zip them and AdamX will play them just fine. You cant however as you have already found use 7z as that compression is not supported

#5 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:27 AM

fwiw in case anyone has not figured out. 7z functionally is pretty much the same as a Rar solid archive. That's how it achieves good compression.

#6 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:45 PM

Well I'm gonna be working on this puppy next. Here is a general run down of what I plan on doing..

-----------------
*** ToDo List ***
-----------------

- Change Disk function actually does not appear to work properly (not sure of a case where it would be used).
- Add toggle sound channel 1-4 on/off function as definable to joypad.
- Possibly add Fast Loading BIOS?
- Add support for Driving Controller (analog sticks, or left/right triggers) so games like Turbo, Destructor, and Dukes Of Hazzard will work.
- Add support for Roller Controller (So games like Slither and Victory will work).
- Add support for the speed roller on the "Super Action Controller".
- Allow player to set sprite flicker (-sprite 0/1) on/off (for accuracy purposes)? Would default to flicker off.

- Add Colecovision Overlays (Like I did with atari800xl).

- I was thinking of adding a seperate variable for "rewind speed". It is currently shared with the fast forward speed but although 4 is a good fast forward speed in AdamX, it is way to fast for rewind.

-----------------
*** Wish List ***
-----------------
- Interphase voice (Squish 'em Sam). Don't count on it, though. MESS is the only emulator I know of that supports of it and frankly I do not understand how the mess sound engine interfaces with a driver.

-------------------------------------
*** Questions that need answering ***
-------------------------------------
- Is there any purpose to the -diskspeed and -tapespeed parameters?
- Should I allow the user to enable overscan colors? (After all the Xbox is normally displayed on a TV set).

- The emulator defaults to a reverb level of 7. Does a colecovision really sound like this?

- Soundquality currently defaults to 3. I should be able to easily bump this up to 5. Is the sound really that much better at 5?

- I found a really cool colecovision music/sound player. I'd love to incorporate it somehow but it's in Java! icon_eek.gif Does anyone know of another one?

------------------------------------------------------
*** Games that use special controllers (and notes) ***
------------------------------------------------------

Driving Controller
Destructor, Dukes Of Hazzard, Turbo

Roller Controller
Slither, Victory

Super Action Controller
Front Line (Speed roller not used), Rocky (speed roller not used),
Baseball , Football, Soccer (unsure)

Driving Controller (Optional)
Bump 'n Jump, Fall Guy, Pitstop

Roller Controller (Optional)
Centipede, Omega Race, War Room

Super Action Controller (Optional)
Spy Hunter, Star Trek

--------------------------------------------
**** Carryovers from Atarixlbox ****
--------------------------------------------

- Ability to pick a file from within a zip file. Turns out this functionality was already in commonfuncs as a conditional compile.

- Recording time doubled.
- Fixed a few interface "quirks" regarding playing game sounds while emu is paused.
- select save state screen tells you whether your "loading" or "saving", it also now displays whether a save file has a record session ( R ) associated with it.

- When a new save state is created it deletes any recordings. If you press the "back" button while in the save state select screen it will allow you to delete that save state (as well as it's recording).

- Utilities menu display modifed to state "stop or start recording/playback" depending on whether they are turned on or off. It also displays total minutes remaining or played so far.

- Record/Playback turn off when exiting a game. Boy that sure caused some confusion.

- Switched positioning control of sprites in the skin menu to the left analog stick, that way you don't have to worry about unintentionally lowering the volume.

- Savestate load screen is a little more informational when sent to it from the save/record option.
- When you save a picture it removes the screenshot save path making it easier to see long names.
- Changed order of some of the entries in the "Music Control Menu".
- Playlist repeat mode, and View Name setting is saved in INI file. Although song name only shows in the music control menu.

- (cheat codes)When "adding a code" from the "edit code" screen the current code is copied as a template. You can activate/deactivate a code from the "cheat code list" menu by pressing start.

- Deleting a cheat code now asks you if you are sure (I got tired of accidently deleting my codes ).

- Fixed up the problem created from using multiple files in a Zip file.
- Fixed problem when a filename inside a zip contains too many characters. While I was at it I fixed the space as the last character when trimming to 42 characters behavior. Zip files where the path was saved now unzip correctly.

- Rewind and Fastforward are de-activated during record/playback and netplay mode. It even tells you so when you try!!
- Modified YesNoMenu so it doesn't clear m_menuText.

- Added ability to add in cheat codes from a Gameshark compatible database (see description below). This includes the ability to export the cheat codes in a game to "share" with your friends. Cheat/rumble codes are included for most games. When "adding" codes from the gameshark DB it will move you to the entries with a matching CRC. If not you'll have to manually find the game (sorry, only one CRC per game).

Edited by madmab, 16 July 2008 - 07:46 PM.

#7 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:23 PM

Well here is an update for anyone who happens to be watching. Doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for the Colecovision. laugh.gif

Reverb Level turned off. I didn't like it anyways. tongue.gif
Soundquality changed to 5. Not sure but the volume levels seem to be finer.
Added support for Driving Controller. Turbo fans rejoice! Bump 'n Jump and Pitstop can use it as well. Dukes Of Hazzards works now although the driving controls are a little weird.

Added support for Roller Controller. Slither and Victory now playable.
Added support for speed roller on the "Super Action Controller". Super Baseball now playable. Have not tried Football or Soccer.

Updated my controller list since for the most part it was "incorrect".

There seem to be two different types of colecovision Overlays. Normal and ones that fit the Super Action Controller.

#8 rubarb

rubarb

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:40 PM

I like Coleco smile.gif beerchug.gif

#9 robot3

robot3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:22 AM

Thank you Madmab!
what version of Adam X are we on now?

Also if you can look into this, the game "squishem sam" had a voice feature to it. It was one of the few games made for Coleco that featured voice. Absolutely no emulator I have tried emulates the voice for this game. Not sure if it is a major issue or just something simple and overlooked? Please do what you can if you do decide to look into this.

#10 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:38 AM

Cant belief I missed this post.
Good to hear your at it again.
Im looking forward to getting this one.
All the rest you have done have been impressive to say the least.Im sure this one will be no different.
Thanks for your work and effort.
LONG LIVE THE XBOX 1!

#11 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE(robot3 @ Jul 26 2008, 12:58 AM) View Post

Thank you Madmab!
what version of Adam X are we on now?

Also if you can look into this, the game "squishem sam" had a voice feature to it. It was one of the few games made for Coleco that featured voice. Absolutely no emulator I have tried emulates the voice for this game. Not sure if it is a major issue or just something simple and overlooked? Please do what you can if you do decide to look into this.

Read my wish list. laugh.gif Supposedly mess can do the voice but I have no clue how MESS's sound drivers interact with the machine driver.

I forgot to mention that the driving games and roller controller games are currently mapped to the left analog stick.

Edited by madmab, 27 July 2008 - 01:46 AM.

#12 sotu

sotu

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:29 AM

Nice to hear you updated this emu. I kinda gave up on it since it took around 10minutes for it to load any games for me. Not sure if it's that slow for the rest of you. Will give it another go and see if it's any faster. Thanks!

#13 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:58 AM

Hey Madmab,

This was the next emu I was working on and tonight I found out that the outdated version I have doesn't even let you scroll through artwork. I've got the boxart and cartscans for most of the games ready to go. Unfortunately, the usual spot is down tonight it seems. Oh well.... sounds like there will be an even newer one soon. Looking forward to whatever you do.

Video previews on this one? I got the videos.... cool.gif

~Rx

#14 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:24 AM

Although I am highly interested in adding previews it isn't really high on my list right now. Mostly due to the amount of time it would take me to figure it out compared to the time I actually have to work on it. laugh.gif

Once summer is over and school is back in session my free time should increase.

Someone compiled all the emu's with the latest features, best I can tell. Although some of them like adamx are running older code. Depending on what it is.

#15 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:32 PM

ok guys. Here is an update. This week was supposed to be overlay week but you'all got lucky and I was able to get video previews going. Give all thanks to Nes6502 since I pretty much borrowed his modified SDK xmv playback code and changed it to work with x-port emu's.

Because of this, though. I had to make numerous changes to the x-port interface. Here is what they were.

Created a new configuration menu called "Screenshot/Movie Preview Configuration". It now contains the new Movie Preview settings as well as all the screenshot related settings that USED to be in "General Settings".

The "Screenshot/Movie Preview Configuration" is as follows.
  • Show Screenshots? No, Screenshots Only, Movies Only, Screenshots 1st- Then Movies, Movies 1st- Then Screenshots.
  • Play Sound From Movie? Yes, No
  • Seconds before auto-advancing screenshot -
  • Auto-Screenshot Capture Delay -
  • Show Screenshots While Scrolling? Yes, No
These were removed from the "General Settings Menu" and I shuffled around the "General Settings Menu" to better balance things.

You can set the movie/previews directory in the "Change Default Directories" section. The default location is standard x-port emu format "E:\MOVIES\EMU_NAME".

The movie name has to be exactly the same as the ROM name. Only one movie per game. tongue.gif

All settings are saved in the emu_name.ini file.

I hope you all enjoy!

Edited by madmab, 30 July 2008 - 07:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users