18 replies to this topic

#1 sakhr2

sakhr2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 01:37 AM

Is it possible to do the hotswapping safly if i put the box & the pc over something instead to put them directly the the ground and thanks?

#2 Trevante

Trevante

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,929 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 August 2004 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (sakhr2 @ Aug 29 2004, 02:40 AM)
Is it possible to do the hotswapping safly if i put the box & the pc over something instead to put them directly the the ground and thanks?

Use proper grammar and punctuation, and be more specific. I have no idea what you're trying to ask.

#3 RiceCake

RiceCake

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:Wait, what the hell?<br />Your interested in what I do?<br />None of your damn buisness!
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 August 2004 - 01:45 AM

I think I know what you said...

By putting the hard drive, XBox, and the PC on top of something it won't make a difference. Its the fact that your unplugging a running hard drive that can fuck it up.

#4 sakhr2

sakhr2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 03:09 AM

What is the percentage of failure & which periferique that can be damaged? was it the pc or the box hd? I don't have another choice than hotswapping bc i want to apply the xboxhdm & the UDE2 packages to my xbox v1.6 & i don't have neither a memcard nor an exploitable game & i can't get them. Is there any other solution to my probleme please bc i'm stuck & i don't want my $150 goes like that. This is one month that i bought it & i didn't play with yet. i only listen to cd audio with laugh.gif sad.gif . can someone guide me please. My kernel is 1.00.5838.01 & my dash is 1.00.5659.03 & thanks for your help.

#5 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 29 August 2004 - 03:41 AM

as long as u dont put a big magnet and poke the hd with screwdriver it will be safe, and be carefull about when u unplug the ide cables cz soemtimes if u use force them soem pins can break.

#6 sakhr2

sakhr2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 03:52 AM

Can i boot the pc with the box hd inserted or should i boot the pc & then insert thr hd?

#7 sakhr2

sakhr2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 03:55 AM

biggrin.gif
as long as u dont put a big magnet and poke the hd with screwdriver it will be safe

Can you explain what does it mean magnet and poke please bc english is not my native language & i want to understand the exact meaning bc each word is essentielle in that domain & any misunderstanding can be harmful. biggrin.gif

#8 SargeZT

SargeZT

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 29 August 2004 - 05:21 AM

There is no thing as safe hotswapping. If you understood anything about hard drives, you'd know it's a bad idea. That being said, 99% of the time you'll be safe.

#9 scryed

scryed

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 05:33 AM

First and foremost goto the Hotswapping FAQ in the tutorials section of this website. There you will find most of your answers.

Second, even before you decide where you are going to put your computer and xbox. Understand that you are going to have open up your computer to disconnect IDE cables and that you have all the neccessary knowledge and equipment. If you have never opened a computer before, this may be something you might not want to do before understanding what is inside a computer.

Now what was said earlier about magnetized equipment, is that any tool that has a magnetic charge within it (many regular tools are... "Computer tools" are not magnetically charged) has the possiblity of ruining computer because magnets displace energy and magnets pull-up metal on boards, disks, and drives. You will serverly hurt your computer and xbox if you use magnetic tools.

Now whats the probability of you NOT messing up? Your probability of how much you will NOT mess up is as good as much as you RESEARCH beforehand on what you need to do. If you are well prepared and have researched you should be fine, unless like stated previously, you use a magnetic tool or you break the pins on the IDE connections, but in my experience of hotswapping, you will get lots of practice when going the route of softmod, because its trial and error.

Last but not least read... I understand that English is not your native language. I would say ask a friend who knows better english and could help translate for you would be a smarter move. Now here's the UDE2 Tutorial . This will give you the steps. The only difference is that if you are hotswapping you are not going to be using any save files. You are going to use a Hard Drive program such as fatXplorer or HDD_Driver to save or upload each of the files that is required. beerchug.gif

#10 Sidewinder007z

Sidewinder007z

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 04:54 AM

Hey not to be a smart alec about this.

But if I was going to try and learn everything I could about these exploits,
I would go to a site where the majority of people spoke my language.

I have seen Italian,German,Spanish....sites dedicated to this thing. It is
so hard to try to get someone to understand the exact steps even when they speak the same language. Throw in translation, and you start having big problems!!

#11 sakhr2

sakhr2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:36 PM

I'm Moroccan, so i'll never find a forum in arabic biggrin.gif . Second i studied english since 5 years but from time to time i meet a new word or a word that i'm not sure from its meaning & before starting my modding i want to understand each woed written in that forum to be ready to mod my box 100%.

#12 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:41 PM

If you read the hotswap faq carefully you noticed that the xbox has a floating ground and the pc not. So therefore there can be a potential difference of more than 100 volts over the hd. I dunno if this could harm the xbox but I'm sure it isn't good also. To get rid of this voltage connect the pc chassis to the xbox chassis.

#13 DaddyJ

DaddyJ

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 August 2004 - 02:34 AM

QUOTE (krayzie @ Aug 30 2004, 04:44 PM)
If you read the hotswap faq carefully you noticed that the xbox has a floating ground and the pc not. So therefore there can be a potential difference of more than 100 volts over the hd. I dunno if this could harm the xbox but I'm sure it isn't good also. To get rid of this voltage connect the pc chassis to the xbox chassis.

yes or use pc power.

#14 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:33 AM

QUOTE (DaddyJ @ Aug 31 2004, 03:37 AM)
yes or use pc power.

how would you use the pc power during a hotswap?

#15 DaddyJ

DaddyJ

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE (krayzie @ Aug 31 2004, 12:36 AM)
how would you use the pc power during a hotswap?

I use this method.

Connect PC Power to Xbox Hard Drive.

Leave Xbox IDE plugged into xbox hard drive, unplugged from xbox dvdrom (dvdrom still has yellow power wires connected.)

Boot Computer, and pause break at bios, or xboxhdm boot (before actual boot).
(If your quick enough, you dont have to pause, as xboxhdm takes about 7-10 seconds before actually booting default (1) option.

Power xbox and wait until it boots into error 12.

Unplug xbox IDE cable (it is now safe to turn off xbox).

Attach PC Master IDE cable, and resume xboxhdm boot.

Drive should be detected, and is now using pc power.

It is easier to use this method with the xbox hard drive removed from the xbox, and this eliminates the grounding issues.

Edited by DaddyJ, 31 August 2004 - 05:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users