XaRaNn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(XPort @ Aug 18 2006, 08:34 AM) View Post

Actually to the contrary - if it is basically a wrapper around Bochs, I'm going to stay as far away from it as possible. That port gave me the most trouble that I can remember out of everything that I've done. And it didn't even work very well. (Well, that's unfair to Bochs. I should say that it was very accurate (probably moreso than DOSXBox), but horribly slow on the XBox.)

Thanks for the clarification

#33 Antiriad

Antiriad

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:52 PM

Seeing the authors of Steem are dragging their heels over making their emulator open source, can I suggest a port of the Atari ST emulator Hatari? It's source is here. It is SDL mind.

However, unlike WinSTon it is able to emulate the STE architecture and run certain games that WinSTon doesnt like such as R-Type for example.

Just to also say thank you for the recent releases of emulators for what are more obscure platforms. I can also say that ports of FUSE and a BBC emulator would also be very much appreciated by British XBox owners.

Edited by Antiriad, 27 August 2006 - 06:53 PM.

#34 Kanyero

Kanyero

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:08 PM

Maybe ootake?

http://www.ouma.jp/ootake/

It´s based on pc2e but it seems to be more advanced. I dont think it´s better than mednafen but it is updated very often and it may worth a try someday.

Hazemd32plus seems to be another interesting project. Based on mame/mess it only emulates megadrive/genesis master system and game gear, but it emulates some genesis games that any other emulators like kega/gens are able to play.

http://mameplus.emu-france.com/

Edited by Kanyero, 01 September 2006 - 12:12 PM.

#35 XPort

XPort

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:41 PM

but it emulates some genesis games that any other emulators like kega/gens are able to play.

Did you mean to say that it plays some Genesis games that no other emulators can play? If so, what are they?

#36 Pennylane

Pennylane

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:41 PM

Seeing as stepmaniaX was the reason for me to get an xbox (thnx btw) i would be happy to see "freetar hero" ported.
Its a Guitar Hero Simulator (it even has some song editor).

Just today the developer decided to go open source (not yet released, but i'd be glad to post again as sonn as its released...)

well i should also say that its in a pretty early stage (aka only a beta was released..). dont know if it would be better to wait for a more final version...

Edited by Pennylane, 01 September 2006 - 03:44 PM.

#37 Kanyero

Kanyero

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE(XPort @ Sep 1 2006, 02:48 PM) View Post

Did you mean to say that it plays some Genesis games that no other emulators can play? If so, what are they?

Here is what i read in the documentation:

Reasons you might want to use this:

1. It runs Sun Mixing’s Super Bubble Bobble (actually maybe this should be in the
other list..)
2. It runs Dino Dini’s Soccer Properly
3. It runs the Realtec titles
4. The Star Wars scroller text is present in Monster World 4 (but backup ram
isn’t, yet)
5. You can probably use MAME’s INP recording to record some cool replays
6. You can use MAME’s cheat engine

I know the list is very short but maybe there are more. Haze released a lot of wips while he was updating the driver. You can read all the information here:

http://haze.mameworld.info/

#38 XPort

XPort

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:20 PM

And those titles do not work in Gens?

He may have improved upon the MAME/MESS core, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the things he got working didn't already work in Gens because they're two completely different projects.

Neogenesis already has a sophisticated cheat engine and it can also record/playback.

#39 manumetal

manumetal

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:20 PM

I know about the ps2 emulator for PC, I have used it and works slower (PIV 3000HT, GEFORCE FX5600 256MB, 1G RAM) but the emulator is open and would be great and emulator for the XboX, i know it will run slow but it will be a great Enginiering work to do, only for to know if it could be

I know that is a banned emulator but it would be amazing ( and a little freack)

Sorry!!!, for my english.

#40 Kanyero

Kanyero

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE(XPort @ Sep 1 2006, 06:27 PM) View Post

And those titles do not work in Gens?

He may have improved upon the MAME/MESS core, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the things he got working didn't already work in Gens because they're two completely different projects.

Neogenesis already has a sophisticated cheat engine and it can also record/playback.

According to haze no, but even if the emulator is not ported it would worth to having a look at the source code. i think the emu uses some specific hack to make the games playable, so they could be also be used in other emulators smile.gif

#41 BobBorakovitz

BobBorakovitz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:xbox

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:28 AM

I have a request - can you release sourcecode to your newer projects? I know the GP2x could use some of your work as a basis to start their own projects. Also, if you ever did disappear from here (please don't!) then someone else could update your emulators/games if needed

thanks for considering smile.gif

QUOTE(Kanyero @ Sep 3 2006, 05:13 PM) View Post

According to haze no, but even if the emulator is not ported it would worth to having a look at the source code. i think the emu uses some specific hack to make the games playable, so they could be also be used in other emulators smile.gif

I don't think they're hacks at all, the MAME team doesn't like hacks, they try to go for the most accurate emulation possible. It also runs Time Killers and Gargoyles that other Genesis emulators don't like to run.

I think it's a great idea, but maybe a little immature still at this point to deserve a port.

#42 hargle

hargle

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:30 AM

Having successfully ripped the 7800 emulator out of MESS, how about a stab at the bally astrocade, or the vectrex? I like ALG5's vectrex emulator, but having support for sound and overlays (along with all the other xport goodness) would put it over the top.

Someday I personally would also like to see the RCA studio II and Fairchild Channel F ported too. It's not so much that these are great machines with tons of games that deserve to be resurrected and played for hours, it's a matter of completeness (like rom collecting!).

I am just in love with the fact that the xbox can do SO MANY machines all under 1 console. Minus just a few of these obscure machines, our single console can walk through nearly 4 decades of video gaming. It's mindblowing.

#43 Tomgh

Tomgh

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:46 PM

Stupid f*ck me,
so this is where I should have post my tread.
Anyway, check it out
http://zatacka.sourceforge.net/
its a fun little game.

#44 Chron Johnson

Chron Johnson

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:59 AM

I have a proposal for a simple upgrade / feature addition to the universal GUI. Those who install varied artworks to correspond to their ROMs are married to whatever type of artwork happens to be lowest-numbered in the screenshots directory...say one's box fronts are all 0001.png...cart scans named 0003.png must be viewed manually as it is now, or one must select a rom and wait for the image to cycle to additional images.

How about an option to select which number is displayed first? Setting "3" in the above example would cause all box fronts in the user's ROM directory to be instantly replaced with cart scans. If this feature has already been implemented then I'm some sort of fool...but if not, people will get some good use out of it.

#45 jcautela

jcautela

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:The World
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:13 PM

Hello Xport,

Fishy is one of the most addicting flash games I have ever played but yet so simple. The controls are only the directional pad on the computer. Basically you eat other fish in a big ocean environment and avoid being eaten yourself by larger fish. There is basically no hud and no levels, you simply get larger and larger until you destroy the ecosystem.

I don't know how hard this would be to port (flash) but please atleast take a look, I have the decompiled source in fla format here:

http://files.filefro...;/fileinfo.html

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users