274 replies to this topic

#61 RMM

RMM

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:26 PM

The reason FreeDO is closed source is not because they dont want to share info.

Q. What happened to the Open-Source FreeDO Project, located at http://freedo.sourceforge.net?

A. While I (awright69) would have liked to have kept the project open, I was shown by felixl that we couldn't legally do this. The 3DO architecture is very well isolated by cryptographic protections in hardware and software, and also by patents and IP laws which prevent the public disclose of much of its inner workings, and revealing those would have left the project far too open to legal action. While it can be argued that the 3DO or its technologies are outdated, patent and IP law simply does not allow for that. (Thanks to ewhac for pointing that out. Youíre right, I was naÔve.) If someone wants to find a way to do this without stepping on anyone's legal toes, please go ahead. The FreeDO open-source page will remain only as a marker for historical purposes, with a link to the closed source page, and no code or methods from the 3DO or this project was ever, or will ever be, hosted there.

That being said if you cant emulate the the 3DO system on the xbox right now then it wouldnt make any sense to port it until they better optimize their code.

#62 PhatStreet

PhatStreet

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:34 AM

IPB Image
http://www.luolamies...software/luola/
Luola is a fun game where you fly ships around and try to kill your opponent.
Seems to be coded in C, requiring a few SDL libraries, which are all in SDLx, although "zlib" is barely mentioned. I'm not sure if it would be a problem. This would be a great multiplayer game on the Xbox. biggrin.gif

Edited by PhatStreet, 25 October 2006 - 11:36 AM.

#63 landstack

landstack

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:07 AM

Would be great to see a CoCo 3 emulator port from MESS. Looks like it could be taken from MESS as the Atari7800 emulator was. It's one of the few great 8 bit systems without an xbox port. Thanks for all the great emu's.

#64 enderandrew

enderandrew

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(XPort @ Aug 29 2004, 05:44 PM) View Post

MESS - not likely. I may get around to ripping out certain sections e.g. A7800, Coco

Coco - see MESS

Vecrex - see MESS

#65 seanp2500

seanp2500

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:42 PM

I would like to see a port of Infinity CAT pls pls I have bud who can decomplile source but I guess it is frowned upon just wanted to make you aware of this program....I run xmugen currently and this sounds alot better.

#66 goblin2

goblin2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE(mike315 @ Aug 15 2006, 03:37 PM) View Post

There's been interest in Nethack( http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=537957 , although zepman wants the orig done lol. )...sooo Falcons Eye would be cool. I mean come on its nethack, its been ported everywhere...why not the xbox lol. still love that game...

Exult has been ported, although I havent played the game through, so im not sure how well it works...

Troubles of Middle Earth....howd I miss this game?? Im downloading to my pc right now. wink.gif

But i'd like to see Falcons...errr nevermind I want to see TOME...its dope. Didnt realize it was Angband like...

is there any emulators for ps2 or psp so i can play ps2 or psp games on my xbox

#67 VampX

VampX

X-S Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,149 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE(goblin2 @ Nov 8 2006, 01:33 AM) View Post

is there any emulators for ps2 or psp so i can play ps2 or psp games on my xbox

No, and it will never happen either.

#68 napierzaza

napierzaza

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:26 AM

Do you port only games? I think a port of a ROM manager (not knowledgable enough about them to say which is best or opensource) for the roms that your ports deal with would be smashing. It'd be really great to have a copy of GoodXXX or RomCentre on my Xbox that I could just upload ROMS into a dropbox and have the program catalogue, name and archive my roms for me. It's a bitch otherwise.

#69 shadowfall

shadowfall

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:58 AM

I don't know a stable emulator, but I really want to be able to play final fantasy III for ds on my tv, The tiny screen for a final fantasy game just doesn't work for me.

#70 Timerever

Timerever

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(napierzaza @ Nov 9 2006, 07:33 AM) View Post

Do you port only games? I think a port of a ROM manager (not knowledgable enough about them to say which is best or opensource) for the roms that your ports deal with would be smashing. It'd be really great to have a copy of GoodXXX or RomCentre on my Xbox that I could just upload ROMS into a dropbox and have the program catalogue, name and archive my roms for me. It's a bitch otherwise.

That's not a bad ideia! Would be intresting.

#71 enderandrew

enderandrew

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE(shadowfall @ Nov 9 2006, 11:05 AM) View Post

I don't know a stable emulator, but I really want to be able to play final fantasy III for ds on my tv, The tiny screen for a final fantasy game just doesn't work for me.

A DS emulator will never happen for a variety of reasons. Doing a quick Forum Search will reveal:

There is no DS emulator out there that can run commercial roms. Even if it existed, it wouldn't run at a decent speed on XBox hardware, there would be no good way to handle the touch-screen controls on the XBox, and no good way to do the two screens.

That being said, if all you want to do is play FFIII on your TV, that is easy.

Play the original FFIII NES game with a translation patch, or just find the already patched translated ROM. It is against forum rules to tell you where to find ROMs exactly, but it really isn't hard to find.

For more old school Final Fantasy games, with improved graphics even, look for Final Fantasy Origins, Dawn of Sorrow, Chronicles, Collection, Anthology, etc.

#72 shadowfall

shadowfall

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:32 PM

I already have the previous remakes, I bought Origins for psx, then found that dawn of souls was better. I am playing V right now for gba in xboyadvance. I figured there would be a problem with the touch screen, wasn't sure about the resources needed though. I hope that they make another anthology with the new version of three for wii or gamecube. I Just don't like handhelds. Well, thanks for the info, I didn't know that there wasn't an emulator that can play commercial games.

QUOTE(enderandrew @ Nov 9 2006, 10:39 PM) View Post

A DS emulator will never happen for a variety of reasons. Doing a quick Forum Search will reveal:

There is no DS emulator out there that can run commercial roms. Even if it existed, it wouldn't run at a decent speed on XBox hardware, there would be no good way to handle the touch-screen controls on the XBox, and no good way to do the two screens.

That being said, if all you want to do is play FFIII on your TV, that is easy.

Play the original FFIII NES game with a translation patch, or just find the already patched translated ROM. It is against forum rules to tell you where to find ROMs exactly, but it really isn't hard to find.

For more old school Final Fantasy games, with improved graphics even, look for Final Fantasy Origins, Dawn of Sorrow, Chronicles, Collection, Anthology, etc.

#73 napierzaza

napierzaza

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE(Timerever @ Nov 9 2006, 12:07 PM) View Post

That's not a bad ideia! Would be intresting.

Thanks, hope it happens!!!

#74 telengard

telengard

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE(landstack @ Oct 25 2006, 11:14 PM) View Post

Would be great to see a CoCo 3 emulator port from MESS. Looks like it could be taken from MESS as the Atari7800 emulator was. It's one of the few great 8 bit systems without an xbox port. Thanks for all the great emu's.

Either the coco support pulled out of mess or xroar which I think also emulates the coco would be most excellent.

~telengard

#75 kerobaros

kerobaros

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE(Pennylane @ Sep 1 2006, 08:48 AM) View Post

Seeing as stepmaniaX was the reason for me to get an xbox (thnx btw) i would be happy to see "freetar hero" ported.
Its a Guitar Hero Simulator (it even has some song editor).

Just today the developer decided to go open source (not yet released, but i'd be glad to post again as sonn as its released...)
well i should also say that its in a pretty early stage (aka only a beta was released..). dont know if it would be better to wait for a more final version...

Slight problem with this plan. Freetar Hero is written in Java, and as far as I know, a Java compiler that works with the XDK to produce .xbe's doesn't exist. But, hey, if I'm wrong, and I hope I am?

Also, there's Frets on Fire, which is similarly awesome, but written in Python. Another problem.

Way around these issues: run Linux on your Xbox. I've never ran either program like this, but, hey, if Firefox works.. :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users