• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rebel-Soul

Rebel-Soul

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Interests:Soccer,Skiing,snowboarding,rock climbing,xbox,HALO.
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:04 AM

the bottom of my jewel is scratched a bit well u kno from sanding neways would some kind of polish or glaze cover them right up

#2 Mongoose

Mongoose

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 09:46 AM

I've never tried this... but I would think it would be difficult to actually make the scratches 'disappear' completely - even if the polish completely filled in the scratches, the two materials (plastic & polish) would probably have different refraction properties. Your best bet would probably be to do a little more sanding with a VERY fine grit paper. I think that's what most people are doing (wouldn't hurt to try, anyway).

#3 Deadbeef

Deadbeef

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 10:30 AM

Wrong,
it can be done.

What you need is a plexiglass glue. it has the same light (hope I spell this right) refraction index (or close to) the jewel plastic.
This glue (2 component glue) if it hardens it looks and feels like plexiglass. (you could even cast a new jewl with it)
The reason this works, is that the glue also has a low density that makes it flow into the small grooves created by the sanding . The result will be a clear , maybe a bit blurry new jewel.

It might be needed to put the jewel on a spinning disk to apply the first layer. This to make the glue disperse evenly into all the grooves.
After that just brush it on thick and let it settle.
(be carefull with dust, it will show clearly if you use a backlite for the jewel later!!)

Deadbeef

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users