17 replies to this topic

#1 0123456

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 04:48 PM

Greetings folks

I'm toying with the idea of illuminating my crystal S controller buttons - if you've done this mod could you please post up some pics of the inside of your controller.

I've read the tut on the main page buy just want to see some more installations so I have a good feel for the mod.

Was it difficult to close the case with the wires?

Any colour bleeding? (I'm thinking of using 4 6000 MCD LEDs that I will drop with resistors so that the buttons glow lightly - not like light sabers).

When you trimmed the inside of the button did you remove all of the "posts" inside or just one and mount the LED on the side? (I'm thinking of clamping the buttons and then drilling directly into the middle with a 4mm drill bit so the LEDs sit perfectly in the middle).

How did you bring the LED legs out of the side of the button? (2 holes and then feed through and bend or cut a chunk out with a Dremel and drop the LED in?).

Did you hot glue the LEDs in afterwards?

Any performance difference?

Any general hints/tips/pointers?

Thanks

user posted image

#2 TGC79

TGC79

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 05:17 PM

I did mine with a Duke controller. The only advice I have is make sure the wires on the buttons are super small. I personally had a shit load of problem with the buttons getting stuck down after being pressed due to the wire size. And this was in a duke.. so S will be smaller.

Also make sure you DO NOT drill out all the white pieces.. I made that mistake and i had to fill the thing with hot glue just to get the button to press down properly. And what i did was i took a thumb tack and held my solding iron to it.. It pushed through the button and created a perfect LED leg hole.

Any other Questions?

Edited by TGC79, 30 August 2004 - 05:20 PM.

#3 Arjun

Arjun

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 August 2004 - 05:22 PM

Ive done this. My perspective. DO NOT DO IT!!! ITS A HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS!!! The buttons never feel the same!!!

#4 0123456

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the pointers chaps - I'm going ahead with the mod biggrin.gif

I'm thinking of using 4 different coloured LEDs in order to really accent the button colours. The ones I've picked out are:

Blue - 2500 MCD, 3.5v forward voltage, 20-30 ma forward current.
Green - 3000 MCD, 3.3v forward voltage, 20 ma forward current.
Orange - 4000 MCD, 1.7v-2.0v forward voltage, 20 ma forward current.
Red - 4500 MCD, 2v forward voltage, 20 ma forward current.

I know how to work out the correct resistance values for a normal LED mod but how would I make all 4 LEDs illuminate at around 2500 MCD so that all the lights are even?

Choosing this method over my intital 4 white LEDs will cause a bit more hassle as I will have to fit 4 resistors in instead of one and the parallel wiring for 4 white LEDs would be a lot easier.

I will probably end up doing the 4 white LEDs but I'm just checking out this option as well.

#5 ShastaO

ShastaO

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 07:52 PM

I wouldn't worry about the lights being too bright. They are shining through opaque plastic, which diminishes a lot of the glow.

If you really want to dim them, you can try resistors with a higher ohm rating, but that's pretty much a game of trial and error, because you can't just say, for example, "The resistor is 10 ohms higher and the brightness is reduced by 1,000mcd, so 10 more ohms should reduce it by another 1000mcd." It doesn't work on a nice, neat curve like that.

Another option to vary the brightness would be to drill the holes you put the LEDs in each button to different depths. If your light is shining through 2mm of plastic, it will appear dimmer than if it's shining through 1mm.

If you have wires with alligator clips on the end, you can test the brightness without putting the controller back together. Just clip a 9V battery to an appropriate resistor and connect that to the wire coming off the LED. Then you can see just how bright those buttons will look before you decide to dim them.

I cut out a slot in each button rather than drill holes. I bent both positive and negative leads into the same slot, as close together as I could get them without touching. Then I carefully pulled the LEDs out and put a dab of superglue on the leads, bridging the tiny gap between them and preventing them from EVER touching.

To secure the lights, I used superglue on three of them and hot glue on the other. There's no noticable difference, at least to my eyes.

#6 TGC79

TGC79

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:58 PM

I would recommend just using white LED's. The colored plastic will give it the color. That way you can get the proper mcd values youre looking for.

#7 EmTea

EmTea

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:11 PM

i'd suggest one thing, TEST TEST TEST.
Make shure every thing works the way u like befor u start playn with the wires.
B/c after takeing the time to get them all tucked away u wont want to do it again. which is why im not shown u the inside. Sry.

#8 0123456

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:01 PM

I'm going to use 4000 MCD frosted white LEDs in all 4 butons plus I'll probably end up limiting them with resistor experimentation.

Reason being is that I wan't just the buttons illuminated, no flooding and nothing so bright that it singes my retinas.

Whilst RedDragon has done a very good job with his pad (see below) I'm looking to achieve a smoother mod in terms of illumination and wire visibility.

user posted image

user posted image

Using 4 of the same LEDs in parallel means that I will only need 2 pieces of wire showing which should lend itself to a cleaner (but much harder) finish and the frosted LEDs should have much better light dispersal without leaking.

Work will start in a couple of days or so.

Thanks to everyone for their input - be it on this thread, by PM or from previous posts detailing their mods.

#9 TGC79

TGC79

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:34 PM

I dont tend to really use mine anymore cause I just end up staring at them. But lucky for me I installed a switch for them on the back. So I can turn them off.

#10 HHN-Zero1

HHN-Zero1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 31 August 2004 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (Arjun @ Aug 30 2004, 06:25 PM)
Ive done this. My perspective. DO NOT DO IT!!! ITS A HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS!!! The buttons never feel the same!!!

My buttons feel the same as before I did the lighted button mod.

#11 twisted.penguin

twisted.penguin

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 31 August 2004 - 12:33 AM

Pics of my controller with them

Hehe, looks liek someone from X-S bid.

#12 BobBrkersMyHero

BobBrkersMyHero

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:51 AM

QUOTE (twisted.penguin @ Aug 30 2004, 07:36 PM)
Pics of my controller with them

Hehe, looks liek someone from X-S bid.

that thing has duke joysticks on it... ohmy.gif

#13 vpogv

vpogv

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:43 PM

What rating LEDs did you end up going with? 4000mcd whites? From the pictures I have come across the coloered LED's seem to show the colors better, but as was stated it's hard to get them the same brightness. If you could show pictures of the final product I would appreciate it.

#14 jankro

jankro

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 06:47 PM

How about using surface mount led's ? They're small and they could be held in place by a dab of silicone.
Also I found some very flexible and thin wire from old headphone cord and it seems to be so flexible that it will not restrict the button movement at all.

Just a thought....

jankro

Edited by jankro, 06 January 2005 - 06:48 PM.

#15 dboyer

dboyer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:24 PM

1 - Leave it to people with postcounts <10 to drag up really really old threads

and...

2 - i realize that twisted-pinguin is most likely gone forever, but look at his ebay auction... "professionally modded"?? look at that mass of wire.. ick!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users