19 replies to this topic

#1 animosity03

animosity03

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 06:23 AM

I took the stock van and wired it to 12v by tapping into the yellow wire on the HD power cable. It didn't help. Then I went on the fun task of cutting into my HD tray and the 80mm fan I dropped into it. I also wired this to 12v the same way as before and it makes it run no cooler. Yes, the air is blowing out of the xbox. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, it still runs at 127-130 degrees at idle, 122-124 after gameplay.

Edited by animosity03, 02 September 2004 - 06:42 AM.

#2 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Art, hockey, bodyboarding, electronics, books, computers, things that go BOOM!
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:57 AM

What exactly runs at those temps, the air inside the XBox, or specific parts (CPU, HDD?)

Speaking of the temps, did you get them mixed up, or am I ignorant/stupid? Why would it run hotter idle than after intense gaming?

Also, do you have any light mods that might make it heat up?

Anyhoo, if it doesn't freeze or overheat, I really wouldn't worry about it. If you really want, you could install a fan under the HDD, or go all the way and blend a small fan in with the side of the XBox...maybe a 40mm? I should try that smile.gif .

343SB

#3 punqewe

punqewe

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:44 AM

First thing I would do is,goto your nearest computer store and get yourself some arctic silver3. If you replace your stock thermal paste with this,it will be a whole lot cooler. There should be a tut on how to do this on the xbox scene web page. Next,if you do run alot of lights and a lrage as hell hdd,it might be a good idea to look for a small fan to use as an intake. Anything to move tha air around. (a 1" fan on the front left under the dvd drive sucking in works great) Also,you could maybe move the box to a different part of your room that might have more ventilation......maybe it's the room that's warm.

Other than that,I don't know.......but that should help you out a bit i think.

#4 Arjun

Arjun

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:53 AM

do what i do. leave the top off.

#5 Sylvester182

Sylvester182

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Electronics
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 02 September 2004 - 09:21 AM

I don't know whats going on with your box but I have a 1.0 with a 80mm and I could tell a definite difference after the install..of course the 1.0's have those notoriously loud fans on the mobo. That might have something to do with it..i don't know.

#6 amicold

amicold

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 02 September 2004 - 09:35 AM

Well nothing left to do now except

http://forums.xbox-s...opic=229108&hl=

laugh.gif

oh shit, it's not cool without the pictures

#7 Vignir

Vignir

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 12:32 PM

Can anyone tell me.. my xbox is abouuuttt 53C ... is that normal?
When I check the heat out on the dash it's about 130 F and rocks to 140 F! (thats about 53 to 60C)
.. but when I check the heat in XBMC [Settings] it's about 49 to 53C (Never stable)

What is a normal heat on Xecuter2 v2.3b lite modded Xbox (v1.5) ? smile.gif

Best regards,
Vignir

#8 jefferelli

jefferelli

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 01:17 PM

I originally put in a Panaflo 80mm L1A fan because I read how quiet they were. They were correct but my Xbox temp went up. So I just bought a cheap cooler master and it draws more current by the specs and has a higher CFM ie moves ALOT more air, and unfortunatly is louder.

Specs are as follows
Panaflo L1A or 12L Airflow: 24.0 CFM
Cooler Master Airflow: 32.11CFM
The difference in CFM made a BIG difference in my temps.

#9 animosity03

animosity03

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (343 Salty Beans @ Sep 2 2004, 09:00 AM)
What exactly runs at those temps, the air inside the XBox, or specific parts (CPU, HDD?)

The CPU runs at those temps, and that is with a small fan from wally world that I had purchased just to move air in my room, blowing straight into the xbox. As far as light mods, I have 2 in one controller, and the top is painted. Taking the top off doesn't help much if anything at all. I am pretty much at a loss right now, but it seems to stay steady. Yes, it runs lower after gaming and in-game reset than just sitting there. It baffled me too. I saw that install for the small fan that is put on the side, and I couldn't find the name for it. Where can I find this thermal "goo" as my computer hardware teacher calls it? I am also looking for new mods for it, like jewels and a new custom box and paint, which will be my own masterpiece, I guess. Which should I watch out for when I need to worry about heat?

#10 Varsis

Varsis

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 02:43 PM

ambient where i live is around 85 to 90, my box runs on average from 120ish at night when its 80 or so out, to around 130-135 during the day depending how hot it gets. thats around 53 or 54c, the procs are rated for 60 easy, dont worry.

#11 TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 02 September 2004 - 03:06 PM

animosity, i'm not trying to flame you but i kinda have to

In ALL of the tutorials you do nothing with the red (power) wire that is 12 to begin with, the black cable (ground) is grounded to a 5v ground, so you only get 7v of power going through, you're supposed to ground the black cable to the metal xbox shielding , or to the hdd ground (one of the blacks) all you did was switch where the fan gets it's 12v from, and did nothing with the ground

#12 h4x0r_harry

h4x0r_harry

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 03:10 PM

Easy way I got my xbox quieter...removed the fan and cleaned it and put it back in...peace at last:P

#13 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Art, hockey, bodyboarding, electronics, books, computers, things that go BOOM!

Posted 02 September 2004 - 09:00 PM

Either put in a side intake fan, or put a 40mm under the HD and see if that helps.

343SB

#14 animosity03

animosity03

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:23 PM

My black wire is securely taped to the side of my xbox metal casing.

#15 TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:46 PM

Then you can just leave it in place on motherboard

ALso try screwing it down under on of the mb screws (and make sure the cable is striped just a bit) , if no luck buy a 3 pin to 4 pin adapter and plug your fan into that and into the hdd power
wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users