Photo

Aliens Vs. Predator: Gold Edition (1999)

• Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#151 nes6502

nes6502

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:38 AM

I am taking a slightly different aproach to this port. I am seriously thinking about ditching the user interface. It's not really much to it, and it would be far quicker for me to wrap the game with a custom user interface (like ZsnexBox). i.e the user could configure the corntrols, select episode, etc...

This is just an idea. It depends on what's quickest. I wasn't a fan of ZSNES interface. I will likely continue my port, since I am primarilly doing it to get some more programming experience. I would like to get it running on the Xbox. Some things I've thought about adding are rumble (that can be turned off), hd resolutions, ms soundtrack support, and dual analog halo type control. Xmv for the movies and wma for the music is the likely choice for me. Of course, none of this (or even the port) is a for certain.

Having multiple projects for the same product is not a bad idea (unless they produce the same thing). They each may have strengths the other doesn't. Plus, I tend to work better alone on these types of projects. Waiting on other contributers is a restriction I would rather do without. It does sound like the other port is coming along nicely though.

However, a word of advice: The windows work you've done is a major milestone, but don't underestimate what's involved in getting it on the Xbox. All the input, some sound, and all the win32 specific code will have to be replaced, worked around (which can introduce all new problems), etc.. as well as dealing with general Xbox programming. Best of luck to you and feel free to ask any questions over stumbling blocks you may encounter. Chances are I may have allready figured it out.

I am working in stages. My current goal is to get a level to load (no sound or input) and render on the Xbox. I have the wondows version nearly ready to start the Xbox port for this purpose. I will post the status when there is some.

Edited by nes6502, 14 January 2008 - 12:39 AM.

#152 sirlemonhead

sirlemonhead

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:47 AM

Well, you've got a reputation around here and I don't, so I don't think anyone is going to be interested in mine anymore tongue.gif

Oh well, it's good programming experience as you said smile.gif

#153 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(nes6502 @ Jan 14 2008, 02:14 AM) View Post

I am taking a slightly different aproach to this port. I am seriously thinking about ditching the user interface. It's not really much to it, and it would be far quicker for me to wrap the game with a custom user interface (like ZsnexBox). i.e the user could configure the corntrols, select episode, etc...

There's no reason why that shouldn't work, of course, and it could add to the gaming experience; the standard AvP interface is so basic (and doesn't highlight the selected item as it should, at least not on my XP PC). Plus given your record of listening to the users' suggestions, we can be sure that any worthwhile suggestions will be considered.

QUOTE(sirlemonhead @ Jan 14 2008, 02:23 AM) View Post

Well, you've got a reputation around here and I don't, so I don't think anyone is going to be interested in mine anymore tongue.gif

You're joking (as your smilie shows), but in case there's any doubt at all in your mind, both versions will be (very) eagerly awaited, so please don't even think of abandoning your hard work (or we'll set VampX on you sad.gif ). We are hungry for a working AvP port, regardless of author, and now we've two versions to look forward to smile.gif

And the author of the best port will win the coverted (and just made up) Best Game Porter of 2008 award! Fame, riches, women!*

* Legal note: you might not get fame, riches or women via the port, but at least you'll have the warm feeling of having ported a game that the creme de la creme of XBox owners (i.e. those of us who still have an XBox original) play!

#154 sirlemonhead

sirlemonhead

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

Yeah, I won't give up. I started it out of boredom to be honest tongue.gif

But its been fun and I enjoy it, so *something* will come of it.

And yeah, the menus are pretty horrible. The ingame ones at least. I might use the same sorta design for those as the main menus in mine smile.gif

#155 neil222

neil222

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

Yeah Dude, don't give up on it.... I mean there are 2 versions of Quake 2 floating around, both having different strengths. Both you Guys are AWESOME! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Can't wait to play this....

#156 szalay

szalay

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:made a XBOX trainers
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:38 AM

yes very nice, hard work on porting the AVP guys
so good news
I've hella waiting to play with it , and made a trainer for.. smile.gif

#157 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:40 PM

Both of you, please keep posting regular updates in this thread on how your work is coming along. It'll make our waiting that little bit easier...

#158 sirlemonhead

sirlemonhead

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:27 PM

Sure.

I just started a new job after 6+ months of being a lazy post graduate, so avp progress is slowing temporarily while I adjust to the early mornings again. I do my best coding work in the night at 3am.. tongue.gif

I've a few issues still with the ingame rendering. As you can see in the screenshot..the player weapon sinks into walls/objects. Argh! That and stuff either randomly loses its transparency, or stuff that shouldn't be transparent goes transparent smile.gif

IPB Image

The red boxes on the HUD figures are a pretty trivial fix. Just haven't got around to it yet laugh.gif

#159 Monkey Bread

Monkey Bread

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:00 AM

I've been following this topic pretty much since it was first posted and it's exciting to see this progress from both offerings. Thanks a lot and best of luck to both of you.

#160 sirlemonhead

sirlemonhead

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

Just fixed some irritating bugs I had

The menu timer was broken, meaning the whole intro sequence would happen in the blink of an eye
random level geometry used to jump..like a chair sorta bouncing up and down
Marines used to skate rather than walk

Was caused by a high framerate breaking the game timer, from what I can tell. The fps is now capped to monitor refresh, which I don't think is a problem. I can always look into fixing it further if the need arises ph34r.gif

Now I need to fix the decal z-fighting issues, and the odd colours. The spill from the bottle in the picture i posted is meant to be black rather than white. Red blood is blue too wink.gif

#161 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE(sirlemonhead @ Jan 18 2008, 11:54 PM) View Post

Just fixed some irritating bugs I had...

Interesting post! Please keep on posting the updates.

From the sounds of it, you're tracking down the minor bugs now, does that mean that the Windows build is approaching completion?

#162 sirlemonhead

sirlemonhead

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:51 AM

Not sure really.. probably not that close but getting there. The rest of the stuff could either be very easy or very hard. I won't know till ive really dug in.

#163 Party Animal

Party Animal

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:27 AM

This is exciting news! Both you guys, please keep us updated.

#164 sirlemonhead

sirlemonhead

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:06 PM

Fixed a whole bunch of rendering bugs.. I've still got some for the predator vision mode and cloaking, but I haven't really looked into it yet.

The game looks pretty good at the moment (apart from the menus..work in progress! might ditch the 3d rendering idea and just do them with pixel writes as before)

God knows how it'll run on the xbox though..

#165 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(sirlemonhead @ Jan 29 2008, 12:42 AM) View Post

Fixed a whole bunch of rendering bugs.. I've still got some for the predator vision mode and cloaking, but I haven't really looked into it yet.

The game looks pretty good at the moment (apart from the menus..work in progress! might ditch the 3d rendering idea and just do them with pixel writes as before)

God knows how it'll run on the xbox though..

Thanks for the update, we're waiting eagerly smile.gif

Nes6502, how's your version coming along?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users