Photo

9.4 Gb Dual Layer Dvd-r, Any Recommendations?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Briton Callahan

Briton Callahan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 05:49 PM

Alright, well there are a few XBOX games that won't fit on a 4.7 and I know there's a bunch of DVDs that won't either, so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the 9.4 GB DVD-Rs. I know some of them say double sided, but does that mean that they need to be turned over? I would appreciate it a lot if someone could point me to a place that sells dual layered DVD-Rs for the cheapest or at least relatively cheap ones (the ones you don't have to turn over..?).

Thanks in advance.

#2 gainpresence

gainpresence

11 herbs and spices

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 January 2003 - 06:02 PM

You have to turn them over.

DVD-+r(w)s cannot be dual layered because of the made they are made.

#3 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 06:59 PM

There are dual-layered recordable DVDs, but I haven't been able to locate any. I was trying to find a price for a dual-layer burner and the average price for a dual-layered recordable DVD, and I have had shitty luck so far. I know the price for a burner is in the thousands, so it's a much more feasible option to rip or downsample.

#4 gainpresence

gainpresence

11 herbs and spices

• Head Moderators
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (Xeero @ Jan 25 2003, 12:59 PM)
There are dual-layered recordable DVDs, but I haven't been able to locate any. I was trying to find a price for a dual-layer burner and the average price for a dual-layered recordable DVD, and I have had shitty luck so far. I know the price for a burner is in the thousands, so it's a much more feasible option to rip or downsample.

There may be a different standard (Something like dvd-dl possibly). But DVD-R(W)s and DVD+R(W)s cannot do dual-layer. You'd also need a different burner (I haven't seen any, nor have I seen the media, or even a registered standard).

#5 limbfilter

limbfilter

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 25 January 2003 - 07:09 PM

I didn't think it existed but google proved me wrong....

http://www.avdeals.ca/dvrs201.htm

#6 gainpresence

gainpresence

11 herbs and spices

• Head Moderators
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 07:28 PM

That is a "DVD-R for Authoring" drive. It's capacities are 3.95GB and 4.7GB ONLY. Check out it's whitepaper at Pioneer.

http://www.pioneerel...444,797,00.html

http://www.pioneerel..._whitepaper.pdf

#7 limbfilter

limbfilter

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 07:50 PM

didn't think to do that. Thanks. I thought it wasn't possible. Dual layer is something that can only be pressed.

#8 gainpresence

gainpresence

11 herbs and spices

• Head Moderators
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (limbfilter @ Jan 25 2003, 01:50 PM)
didn't think to do that. Thanks. I thought it wasn't possible. Dual layer is something that can only be pressed.

It's possible to burn it I'm sure. I just haven't seen a standard for it yet, much less discs or a burner.

There are, however, two nice new standards out for Blueray and HDVD (or something to that effect, high density versitile disc). one holds 27GB per layer and the other 20GB per layer (up to ten layers). I believe that Toshiba is competing with some other companys on that one (Toshiba has the Blueray i think).

#9 limbfilter

limbfilter

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 09:31 PM

I'm sorry....did you say 10 layers?

#10 gainpresence

gainpresence

11 herbs and spices

• Head Moderators
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (limbfilter @ Jan 25 2003, 03:31 PM)
I'm sorry....did you say 10 layers?

Indeed I did. The standard supports up to ten layers. I'm not sure if we'll ever be seeing that, though.

I'll post a link once I find it again.

#11 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (gainpresence @ Jan 25 2003, 02:28 PM)
That is a "DVD-R for Authoring" drive. It's capacities are 3.95GB and 4.7GB ONLY. Check out it's whitepaper at Pioneer.

I don't know how accurate that whitepaper is. I have the DVR-104, and I burn both general use and authoring media in it. The authoring media is of higher quality, naturally. If that drive just uses a wavelength slightly different than the other drive but other than that has no increased functionality, why would it cost $4,000.00 USD???

I interpreted the language that states it can burn to both 3.95 GB and 4.7 GB to mean that those are the only two capacities available right now, and it can burn both of them. It does say it works on both single- and dual-layer discs, and I'm assuming they're not touting its capabilities of reading both.

(Edited for spelling)

Edited by Xeero, 25 January 2003 - 11:43 PM.

#12 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 January 2003 - 11:47 PM

No, there are NO burners capable of writing dual layer (DVD9) discs.

End of story.

I'm closing this thread, because the truth has been spoken, and anything else is misleading.

P.S. Authoring drives are different. They prep a master for use in the stamping process. As it happens, the creation of DVD9 discs involves creating two authored discs, which both end up stamped in layers on a mass-produced DVD9 disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users