6 replies to this topic

#1 declan

declan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 01:37 PM

Only just started using dashboards and chose unleashx, i don't have a problem with any complexity just needed certain functions. I really like the way unleashx structure is but looking at MXM skins i was very impressed. As much as i would like to design my own theme, i don't have the time. So could someone answer a few question for me please.
i will use MXM as dashboard..
Are MXM menus easily customizable, ie subfolers etc..
Does MXM have built in commands, ie shutdown restart, launch DVD etc
What are its strongest points?
Cheers Declan

#2 thetruethugg

thetruethugg

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:31 PM

Are MXM menus highly customizable/flexible?

Yes. They use they pretty standard xml to do so, and they are very easy to setup. I don't use automenu, but I think it's pretty good.

Shutdown commands and such?

Yes. They can be accessed through the system menu, FTP or even in a menu item, as I do it. I'm lazy right now (always, actually), but I can get my menu file later and show them to you.

MXM's selling points (as in, plural)?

Well, certainly action scripting when it's completely done and in the next public release, nothing out there today, and probably for the rest of the life of xbox modding, can top that. Next is it's media capabilities, video rich skins always look better than crappy still images (well, there are plenty of good still image skins, but still, you get the point). Other shit like that.

It's like this, MXM is the firefox/mozilla of xbox modding, everthing else is IE.

#3 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (thetruethugg @ Sep 7 2004, 02:34 PM)
It's like this, MXM is the firefox/mozilla of xbox modding, everthing else is IE.

Hold up a second buddy, I wouldn't be calling MXM th mozilla of xbox modding...
Its more like the Opera of the internet surfers... It owns all other browsers smile.gif

#4 thetruethugg

thetruethugg

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 03:04 PM

Well, the feeling is mutual to an extent. What I was getting at, is it's far superior than anything else out there (though, FF/Moz vs Opera is an opinion, Both of them > IE, is fact) smile.gif

I guess I just not got into Opera, I used it, and I can tell it's a very good browser, but, I guess you could say I got used to FF/Moz first (don't get me wrong, both [considering FF/Moz the same, as they basically are] are great browsers), and therefor wouldn't consider switching or even giving opera another chance. This reminds me of a sign I saw, it read "Marijuana. Hey, at least it's not crack", "Moz/FF/Opera, hey at least it's not IE".

Edited by thetruethugg, 07 September 2004 - 03:08 PM.

#5 declan

declan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 03:36 PM

beerchug.gif I like all the browser comparisons, though personally i use safari on the mac. Now if apple designed a dashboard, hmmm..
One more question, when you say shutdown etc is available through the system menu, are these placable else where, ie shutdown, restart of any part of the menu, ie root.. So example

Media Center
Emulators
Games
System
Restart
Shutdown

Also, what other commands are available, ie launch dvd, start, stop ftp, are these also placable..

And finally, is there a setting screen, or all done through xml, likewise with save management..
Thanks Again Declan

#6 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 September 2004 - 03:51 PM

beerchug.gif I like all the browser comparisons, though personally i use safari on the mac. Now if apple designed a dashboard, hmmm..

Can't say I've used that browser.... I don't have a mac sad.gif

One more question, when you say shutdown etc is available through the system menu, are these placable else where, ie shutdown, restart of any part of the menu, ie root.. So example

Media Center
Emulators
Games
System
Restart
Shutdown

WOW - That is nearly exactly the same layout I used to have! So yes it is possible... You can either add the Restart/Shutdown as individual items or have them selectable from an 'action' menu... (Basically like your Games menu but for scripts.)
Also, what other commands are available, ie launch dvd, start, stop ftp, are these also placable..

Launch DVD is in place, and I believe start/stop FTP is in place, however Im' not sure if it can be done through a menu command... You might have to press (Y) to get up the system menu to do that.
And finally, is there a setting screen, or all done through xml, likewise with save management..
Thanks Again Declan

The setting screen is the system menu, just press Y then go to system menu and change whatever you want...
At the moment there isn't a save game manager but I know one was being worked on for MXM...

#7 thetruethugg

thetruethugg

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 06:00 PM

To add the Shutdown/Restart items to your menu, use this:

CODE
<Item>
<Title>Shutdown</Title>
 <Action>shutdown</Action>
 <media>::ICO_ACTION</media>
 <Thumbnail>::ICO_ACTION</Thumbnail>
</Item>
<Item>
<Title>Reboot</Title>
 <Action>reboot</Action>
 <media>::ICO_ACTION</media>
 <Thumbnail>::ICO_ACTION</Thumbnail>
</Item>

Another good one or two is powercycle and resetmenucache, which, I think are probably obvious what they do. wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users