Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:13 PM

I've been working with boxes on the software side (just simple skinning and emu/proggie setup/patching, etc.) for a couple years, so am not really new to the scene. I've finally decided to try a mod myself.

Using an Xecuter 2.3b Lite I plan to order from Divineo China (which, BTW have been great in getting me PS2 premods and various goodies), I want to mod a version 1.0 unit that I found cheap at a shop here in Japan.

I plan to use the pin-header install method, because it's more reliable than pogos and although I can solder, I don't feel up to a wire install. I plan to install a 180 GB HDD, so I'll need LBA support, and I don't want to use G: drive, just a big fat F: drive. Also, functionality is most important, but if possible I'd like to chose a BIOS that can be -noani modded, color modded, etc.

My main questions are:
1) Is there anything fundamentally wrong with my plan (re: modchip vs. V1.0 box vs. Japanese system?

2) There are two banks on the 2.3b lite, yes? As such, is there a size limit/requirement in flashing either of the banks from FlashBIOS? I've read that the process involves flashing a 256k BIOS to Bank 1 while the cromwell remains on Bank 2. If such is the case, would something like the X2_4982.06 or 4983.06 256k?

3. Any other input? Absolutely any advice, info or warnings would be greatly appreciated! Especially about the BIOS, is there one that will work with my potential setup, but allow BIOS color modding, etc.?

Finally, thanks in advance to all who reply, and shouts out to all the teams and devs who have worked so hard to get us ALL this far! smile.gif

Edited by Xombe, 09 September 2004 - 01:30 PM.

#2 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:56 PM

That chip will work on that version xbox. All xboxes are basicly the same with only differences being the power supply and the game region.
the 1.0 xbox had the lpc connections already filled with solder, so if you plan to do a pin header then you must remove the solder that is blocking you from doing so. generally a wire install is easiest for 1.0 xboxes as you just heat the prexisting solder up and push the wires in
there are 2 512k bios banks on that chip, when the chip is installed for the first time it is recommended that for your first flash you only flash 512k to bank 1 and leave bank 2 unflashed. to do this you actually set the chip to bank 2 which will flash only 512k to bank 1. if you have it on bank 1 it will try and flash a full 1024k bios, this is alright as long as you don't mess it up.
the bios you will more than likely want to flash would be xecuter2 4981 which you can color mod till you drop. other options would evox m7/8 or the ind-bios
if you use an x2 bios make sure that you choose the .06 version as this will give you one fat F partition, more info on this can be found at http://psilocybe.emo...biosversion.txt
the modding of the bios will involve programs such as xbtool, kernel basher, etc. all of which i believe can be found here on xbox-scene.com downloads section under tools

#3 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:48 PM

Thanks a bundle for that great response! Looks like the wire install is the way to go. I fogot that v1.0 boxes had the LPCs filled.

Now for the remaining stupid questions:

1) I got the 4981 bios from the "usual places" but I see there are several versions (other than the .06 and .67 differences). Theres a 'regular' and a 'fixed' version (the one fixed to work properly with XBTool). Am I right in assuming that the XBtool 'fixed' version is the best of the 4981 bunch? I KNOW you're the one to ask, since I only just now realized by reading the .nfos that they are largely your work wink.gif

2) With the wire install, I can of course assume that the d0 on the bottom on the mobo is a valid option, yes? (Dumb question, I know, since wires/pin headers just serve the same purpose, but it never hurts to ask, right?)

3) So, the 2.3b Lite has to 512k banks, but there is no problem with flashing a 256k bios to a 512 bank, right? Gotta be so, otherwise you wouldn't be recommending me to do so (but see above "dumb question" statement).

And thanks for the link to the biosversion.txt info. Always good to read up more and more about these things.

I think that's about all I need to know for now. Thanks again for your time and kind, informative reply. Peace out!

#4 gamerguy999

gamerguy999

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 10 September 2004 - 12:49 AM

So, the 2.3b Lite has to 512k banks, but there is no problem with flashing a 256k bios to a 512 bank, right?

You have to flash it with a 512k BIOS. Just get the x2 bios manager and make the 256k BIOS into a 512k. And yes you can use the alt D0(bottom).

Edited by gamerguy999, 10 September 2004 - 12:51 AM.

#5 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 01:29 AM

actually the chip resizes correctly when flashing through the flashbios (the first flash) or with flashX (teamxecuter chip flashing utility that runs on xbox), just evox does not resize it correctly
but it is still better to resize the bios to 512k
the "fixed" version just has the correct kernel version when you check the kernel, but both bioses work the same
the unofficial version was the version that i had posted on xbins as a bug fix of version 4980, but did not remember to fix the kernel version befoer i got it uploaded

also the bottom d0 is definately the best option

#6 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 03:47 AM

Cool. So I'll use the x2 bios manager to resize the kernel fixed 4981 to 512k, just in case, and to keep it in storage should I ever need to flash a box through evox. Then I'll wire solder the 2.3b lite I just ordered, and use the mobo bottom d0. Then, barring fragging, I'll set the chip to unprotect, set the bank to 2 and flash bank 1 with that resized bios.

I think I got it now. Just gotta wait for the chip; even FedEx express takes a while to get to Japan. Divineo China was out of stock so I had to order from the U.S., although I recommend the China branch highly cause they've always been very comunicative and delivered lightning fast to (near) Tokyo. They even got a pre-mod PS2 through Japanese customs inspection, which ain't that easy to do. wink.gif

beerchug.gif Here's to hoping that I don't mess up the d0 (the only thing I'm apprehensive about).

#7 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 05:09 AM

and to keep it in storage should I ever need to flash a box through evox.

with an xecuter chip there is never a need to "risk" flashing with evox, always use the xbox application made by the developers of the chip, the tool is flashX (not xflash the pc tool)

Here's to hoping that I don't mess up the d0 (the only thing I'm apprehensive about).

since you are going to solder to the bottom d0 you should be fine smile.gif

#8 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 07:11 AM

Man, you're right about the flashing. I sound like a noob. laugh.gif Thanks for the support, though. I figure if I can manage an 8-wire PS One (the little guys) mod, I can do the d0 (pardon the semi-pun).

BTW, I love your sig. I used to go to a "certain university" in Seattle, and they almost never replaced/relandscaped around where the really old, shady barkdust piles were. To the lucky few who took the time to do the legwork, there were several spots well-known as natural harvesting spots (nothing very powerful though, not like cultivated), but it was always cool to have taken the hike and collected yourself.

#9 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:09 PM

11:15 here in (just outside) Tokyo. Thanks to you, Psilonaut, er... Psilocybe ( wink.gif ), I got the box modded and running Evox just fine. Backed up the C and E, tweaked the ini file a bit to tailor it, and now tomorrow after work, the new drive goes in.

Thanks a million, man!

beerchug.gif Here's to hoping that the mod holds and doesn't crap out in a week laugh.gif

But, really, if you ever need a hookup in Japan for whatever, (no questions asked ph34r.gif), please feel free to let me know.

#10 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:34 PM

congrats on getting it up and running

ha, i'll keep it in mind if i'm ever there

0 user(s) are reading this topic