6 replies to this topic

#1 layziethekid

layziethekid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 11:21 PM

Hey,

I got my 1.4 (Halo Edition) Xbox set up with a Xenium Ice soderless kit. The soderless kit doesn't seem to work correctly. The chip keeps coming loose. We've tried to Hot-Glue it down, but it keeps breaking free. Any suggestions on how to get the Chip to stay connected?

Thanks,
Layzie.

#2 watcher64

watcher64

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 12:11 AM

I hate to sound like everone else .... but , Solder it ....

I have a box with the solderless adapter and it comes lose evertime I move it .. so I just don't move it, my other 2 boxes with the "Quick" solder method work fine and I even use one of those in the car.

I have tried hot glue and everything, the best thing was to put a piece of double stick tape to the bottom of the DVD-Tray just above where the chip is and then put a piece of anti-static foam on it and make sure it works, then put the dvd right down on top of it.

That worked the best.

Gonna solder that one this weekend ...

#3 acemilo

acemilo

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (watcher64 @ Sep 11 2004, 01:14 AM)
I hate to sound like everone else .... but , Solder it ....

I have a box with the solderless adapter and it comes lose evertime I move it .. so I just don't move it, my other 2 boxes with the "Quick" solder method work fine and I even use one of those in the car.

I have tried hot glue and everything, the best thing was to put a piece of double stick tape to the bottom of the DVD-Tray just above where the chip is and then put a piece of anti-static foam on it and make sure it works, then put the dvd right down on top of it.

That worked the best.

Gonna solder that one this weekend ...

A man after my own heart. Ya the adapter is pure garbage and completely worthless. Solder it in.

#4 layziethekid

layziethekid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 11:12 PM

I figured i'd have to solder it. What are the draw backs to soldering it? Other then getting the solder touching the wrong hole(s), thats it right?

#5 appleguru

appleguru

an Apple a Day...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 September 2004 - 12:15 AM

There are no disadvantages to soldering it... You have a1.4 xbox, so it's easy. I'd use the pinheader method, and practice a little first if you've never soldered before. Pop in the pinheader, solder it down from the back being careful not to drip solder (If you do clean it up before you turn on your xbox), pop the chip on the pin header, and boom, your done.

#6 appleguru

appleguru

an Apple a Day...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 September 2004 - 12:17 AM

Oh yeah.. don't forget to solder d0 8)

#7 Gumba

Gumba

X-S Freak

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 12 September 2004 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (layziethekid @ Sep 12 2004, 12:15 AM)
I figured i'd have to solder it. What are the draw backs to soldering it? Other then getting the solder touching the wrong hole(s), thats it right?

The only disadvantage is that if you screw up you can screw up bigger.

Practise on some old electronics first, then be patient, methodical and careful. Don't aim to get it done in 15 mins if you've never done this type of thing before. I'd suggest setting aside at least 2 hrs of time if you have never soldered before!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users