#1 Global_Throttle

Global_Throttle

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:04 PM

I have a chance to help some people out in this small town I live in .But I don't need to go to jail.What can I do to mod or help mod these Xboxes? The ude1/ude2 legal??. The smartXX legal ? better yet What is legal? do all these use Hacked bios? or is there a way around it .I know of the linux bios and it is legal but you can't play backups on it ?

If you guys can post some links I can read on

Edited by Global_Throttle, 14 September 2004 - 02:08 PM.

#2 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:07 PM

It depends how you define "legal". Technically, none of the things you mentioned are legal because they are all hacked versions of copyrighted code. The code is illegal, not the chips.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You're not going to be arrested if you're not an idiot. Help people to mod and help people to help themselves find the answers and software and you'll be fine. Start doing something like selling backups then, well, you might go to jail.

However, legality discussions aren't really for technical forums. Moving to The Dump / General Chat.

#3 nemt

nemt

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (chefelf @ Sep 14 2004, 10:10 AM)
You're not going to be arrested if you're not an idiot.

These days, that's a pretty big if. pop.gif

#4 sheliak

sheliak

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:37 PM

General rule, if it requires downloading something from "the usual places" then it's not exactly legal. There are exceptions though.

#5 Global_Throttle

Global_Throttle

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 September 2004 - 03:15 PM

I have done the softmod on my 3 Xboxes and family.But people have asked me to do theres.There is a place in my next city that does them and they say it is legal.They do the smartXX but they won't tell me what bios.They charge $150 a mod .I was just going to hook my friends up with the UDE1/UDE2 for free .

#6 big_xbox_n00bie

big_xbox_n00bie

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • Interests:xbox modding, chillin with friends, playing cricket/football , Call of Duty , sleeping

Posted 14 September 2004 - 04:13 PM

if u think about it no BIOS is really Illegal its what you do with it that counts...

#7 Spency234

Spency234

LEAFS NATION

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 September 2004 - 04:35 PM

Thought about it, and hacked BIOS's are still illegal no matter what you do with them.

#8 sheliak

sheliak

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 14 September 2004 - 09:26 PM

if u think about it no BIOS is really Illegal its what you do with it that counts...

Wrong. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but 99% of the Bioses out there rely on copyrighted MS owned code. Reproducing, altering, and/or reproducing this copyrighted code in part or in full is illegal. As far as I know, the only Bioses that don't rely on copyrighted code are ones that will not allow you to do much of anything (Xbox-wise) like Cromwell, XeniumOS, and Linux. Again, correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I always understood it.

#9 Trisman

Trisman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:42 AM

I was wondering, if you knew what kernel version the hacked bios was modified from, and you originally had that kernel version on your console's TSOP, wouldn't downloading the hacked bios, be downloading a "backup" with modifications, thus making it legal.

#10 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 September 2004 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (Trisman @ Sep 16 2004, 05:45 AM)
I was wondering, if you knew what kernel version the hacked bios was modified from, and you originally had that kernel version on your console's TSOP, wouldn't downloading the hacked bios, be downloading a "backup" with modifications, thus making it legal.

Not according to the DMCA, or even any of the less draconian copyright laws in the US.

#11 AnThRaX

AnThRaX

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:03 PM

Every modified code is pretty much illegal, stuff like reverse engineering. Just look on the box or the disk it's stated right there, of course not many members know about that since 90% of the members don't even buy games. I buy ton's of games I have about 120 or so right now for the xbox. I don't buy as much as before.

#12 Trisman

Trisman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 17 September 2004 - 01:53 AM

Is there a sunset clause to the DMCA?

#13 Chicken Scratch Boy

Chicken Scratch Boy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 17 September 2004 - 02:14 AM

anything to do with linux is generally legal

most bioses (evox, x2, ind, debug) are illegal

ude is legal.

anything built iwth the xdk is illegal

anything built with freexdk/openxdk is legal

basicly, if you want a to give them a legal setup, you should give them ude to boot into a linux bsed program that has a big fat dislaimer saying "do you want to download blah blah blah illegal blah blah blah i assume no responsibility" a or b

then it either downloads all the apps and such for a proper set up or revirginizes the xbox

#14 zman519

zman519

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 17 September 2004 - 02:54 AM

There is a place in my next city that does them and they say it is legal.They do the smartXX but they won't tell me what bios.They charge $150 a mod .

Damb holy shit sum budys getting riped off and I thought I wuz riping people off at $50 a pop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users