• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SPDavis7

SPDavis7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 09:02 PM

I have a question, according to M3 Del description of a mod chip that is in the FAQ section he states that a mod chip modifies the original on board bios or completely replaces it. If that's the case, then what prevents us from just flashing the onboard bios with a modified one. Has anyone tried it, does anything on the mother board prevent this from working. It just seems to me that if a mod chip replaces the bios and the regualar bios isn't used then it would be easier to just replace the original bios with like an x2 or evox bios?

#2 AnimeCommander

AnimeCommander

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 12:06 AM

A modchip BIOS doesn't overwrite the orginal BIOS, it bybasses it (it's still there).

Plus,you cannot flash a bios on to the original chip, because the original chip is just a PROM, and modchips are EEPROM chips (at least mine is). Meaning that only the modchip is flashable. PROM chips can only be writen to once (M$ did that) and EEPROM chips can be Electronicaly Erased (so we can put what ever we want on it).

#3 MorfiusX

MorfiusX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 28 January 2003 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (AnimeCommander @ Jan 27 2003, 07:06 PM)
A modchip BIOS doesn't overwrite the orginal BIOS, it bybasses it (it's still there).

Plus,you cannot flash a bios on to the original chip, because the original chip is just a PROM, and modchips are EEPROM chips (at least mine is). Meaning that only the modchip is flashable. PROM chips can only be writen to once (M$ did that) and EEPROM chips can be Electronicaly Erased (so we can put what ever we want on it).

Wrong, you can flash the Onboard BIOS, but is not recomended for n00bs. Best to stick to a mod chip.

#4 SPDavis7

SPDavis7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 07:29 PM

So basically you could just flash the on board bios and it would work like a mod right (I'm not going to just curious)?

#5 gainpresence

gainpresence

11 herbs and spices

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 January 2003 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (SPDavis7 @ Jan 28 2003, 01:29 PM)
So basically you could just flash the on board bios and it would work like a mod right (I'm not going to just curious)?

Right, you can flash the TSOP and play backups, etc. without a modchip. But you will never be able to play Xbox Live and your chances of killing your box is around 75%.

#6 SPDavis7

SPDavis7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 07:34 PM

Okay guys, thnx for the info, not that I'll ever use it, but at least I can sleep now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users