9 replies to this topic

#1 pouthestampede

pouthestampede

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 05:27 AM

I have many xbox related files on my pc. Soon I will be getting a laptop that's much faster than this pc, and I wish to do my pc to xbox transfers on it. I was wondering if/ how I can transfer from my pc to laptop. Now this should be a very simple process, but here's where I get slightly confused:

There are 4 computers in my house that use the internet. But none have static ip, they all "obtain ip automatically". I read some guides on a static IP, and it seems that if I want to setup a static IP for one pc, I have to do it to all computers on the network. So, inorder to transfer files from pc to laptop, do I need to setup static IPs? I ask this because the only ftp program I've used is flashfxp. I've backed up many files from xbox to pc, but I don't quite understand how the xbox locates the pc since I never specified an ip for the pc, just the xbox.

Hopefully my question is comprehensible

#2 tt-smiley

tt-smiley

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 05:35 AM

do u not have a network running? or if u have a burner just burn the files.....hmmmm or u could try hosting it somewhere, i dunno m8.

#3 mynuffinfutsitch

mynuffinfutsitch

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 05:39 AM

QUOTE (tt-smiley @ Sep 16 2004, 11:38 PM)
do u not have a network running? or if u have a burner just burn the files.....hmmmm or u could try hosting it somewhere, i dunno m8.

or do a direct conection between the pc and laptop with a crossovercable

#4 pouthestampede

pouthestampede

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (mynuffinfutsitch @ Sep 17 2004, 06:42 AM)
or do a direct conection between the pc and laptop with a crossovercable

I really don't think I have a network as I've neverr transferred anything from pc to pc in my house. But they are all connected to the same hub. If I used a crossover cable, and say used flashfxp, where would I find the ftp, username, and password of the laptop? This sounds dumb I know, but on the xbox they were just written on the System Management menu.

#5 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:16 PM

Dude, are what OS are you running? Anything Win98 or newer?

Two words: Work-frickin-groups. Just forget the IP/DHCP/whatever, and just use windows sharing to move files from one PC to the other.

If you don't know what I mean, elaborate, or do a google seach for home networking/file sharing, etc.

つまり, just make sure all PCs are in the same workgroup, share whatever you want to send to your new laptop, and then setup the laptop, and just grab them.

#6 xxxandyxxx

xxxandyxxx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:52 PM

Work-frickin-groups is three words biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#7 cwinning

cwinning

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 02:00 PM

FTP:

You can find the IP of your PC by going to Start --- Run ---- type CMD and press enter.

At the command prompt type: ipconfig and then press enter.

You can then use FlashFXP to transfer if you like.

#8 kelemvor

kelemvor

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 04:54 PM

Just to expound on the work-frickin-groups suggestion...

In Windows 2k or XP, right click on My Computer, go to Properties. Then go to the Network identification tab.

Every computer has a name. To set up a home network, you just have to put all the computer in the same Work-frickin-Group. Make up a name and put it in each of them in order. Also make sure MS Networks and FIle/Printer Sharing is installed on each. (Right Click Network Places, Right Click "Lan Connection" to check)

THen also go to each computer and right click on the folder you want to be shared and choose the Sharing option and turn it on.

Then from any computer in the same workgroup you should be able to go to My Network Places (or Network Neighborhood depending on the OS), then go to Entire Network, MS Networks, <work-frickin-group name>, and you should see the PCs on your network.

Now, I'm sure I left some stuff out but hopefully it's enough to get you started.

Edited by kelemvor, 17 September 2004 - 04:54 PM.

#9 ONI5

ONI5

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:09 PM

Do a websearch for "simple networking". That should give you all the info you need for your networking needs.

#10 cwinning

cwinning

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:36 PM

www.google.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users