enve19

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 September 2004 - 03:10 PM

I have just ordered an Xenium Ice chip and was wondering what peoples opinions of them are that have bought one?

I know i am likely to get people saying look at the comparison chart, but i generally want peoples opinions on them i.e Any good? worth the money?

Any help on this matter will be truely appreciated

Thanks in advance

#2 Nightfire-Player

Nightfire-Player

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 September 2004 - 03:13 PM

I have haerd some good things about it from various people on here. A lot of them seem to recomend it to people when they ask for which kinda chip should they get. So I guess it cant be that bad lol.

#3 Killa420

Killa420

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 03:14 PM

I use it, it works great. All I use it for is to load my evox dashboard or m$ dashboard and thats it. Simple as that. The only problem I had was dont use the hd upgrade wizard on it with the os2 beta b/c it screws up and your live games wont work. Although there is a fix for it and I fixed it. Other than that its a good chip. Worth the money to me except the solderless adapter which I used for a day. I suggest saving your $20 and dont get the solderless adapter if you ever plan on moving your xbox. I bring my everywhere and the solderless sucked even with the paper trick. Use the pinheader and you'll never have problems.

#4 enve19

enve19

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 03:21 PM

My box doesn't go anywhere it jus stays in the house.

I ordered the whole package: Xenium ICE, pin header install kit, external multifunction LED kit, USB adaptor, solder less install kit. So i have a number of choices as to what to use to install it.

I have heard a lot of people slating the solderless adapter saying that it is pointless and you may as well jus solder it newbie or professional.

Well i guess when it turns up i'll give it a try and if not pull out the soldering kit!

#5 Killa420

Killa420

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 03:27 PM

If your box doesnt move much then the solderless should work. I take mine every weekend to halo lan parties and the first time I brought it with the solderless, I get there, boot up, frag. I live 45 min from my house so going back to get some torx screw drivers wasnt happening. Needless to say the next day the pinheader was installed.

#6 enve19

enve19

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 03:31 PM

Was the pinheader easy to install? i have a v1.0 box and have found all the lpc points soldered up!!

With the pinheader it is just that isn't it? as in no d0 point or do i have to do that aswell??

I guess im gonna have my work cut out for me aint i?!?!?

#7 Killa420

Killa420

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 03:35 PM

Well I have 1.4 box with no solder so it was simple. The only hard part was the d0 point, its really really small. I used the top d0. You will see theres a little plug with a blue and black wire. Black is ground, blue is for the d0. You have to have a d0. If using the pinheader on a 1.0 box, well your going to have to get the solder out, I have never done that so I cant say how it is but it is just more work.

#8 enve19

enve19

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 03:40 PM

Oh well the only thing i can do is give it a shot with the adapter first.

Get my grandads reading glasses out to do the d0 point and possibly the soldering!!!

#9 Killa420

Killa420

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 03:47 PM

Lol it took us (me & dad) a magnifying(sp?) glass about 12 inches big. He had a big one and it still looked small lol. Just remember if you do solder. Stick the blue wire into the d0 first, with your iron already hot. touch the board for like a sec then touch the d0 with your solder really quick like less than a sec. It didnt take much at all. The solder just filled in the hole around the d0 like nothing but we had to do it really quick so we didnt spill any n e where.

Edited by Killa420, 17 September 2004 - 03:47 PM.

#10 cwinning

cwinning

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 04:56 PM

I couldn't be happier with Xenium chip I have in my Xbox. If you run into any issues with not being able to see the G:\ partition, do a search on cwinning. blink.gif I'm sure I posted how I fixed my issue.

All in all it is a ROCK SOLID chip.

#11 Dagoth

Dagoth

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 September 2004 - 05:11 PM

I've installed a couple of Xeniums (1.2 & 1.4) using the solderless adaptor with no problems. (5 minute installation)

With a v.1 your lpc holes are filled, so you would need to remove the solder with some desolder braid - if you are looking at the pinheader installation.

The xenium chip is a good chip to work with, the built in FTP and SMB servers are very nice. - being able to browse from windows & performing drag & drop is great

One little tip - make sure that you clock is set to the correct time before playing with the xenium.

ie.

Installation order

Install the solderless adaptor
power up the box & check the time is correct
turn off box
install xenium
power on box
setup retail bios & test
setup X2 or M8 bios & test
select X2/M8 as default
enable auto start - will enable your default bios to start on powerup without accessing the xenium screen

#12 mkulrey13

mkulrey13

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Interests:Computer Modding<br>Xbox Modding<br>Sex
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 17 September 2004 - 05:39 PM

Its a good chip. one of the easist chips to set up and flash the chip becuase of the built in FTP the OS 2.0 has. No need to burn evox cds or cds tyo flash the bios. just ftp[ the files onto the HDD and your set. biggrin.gif

#13 AcuraTSX2245

AcuraTSX2245

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:12 PM

xenium ice is a great chip, good choice!

#14 X3rules

X3rules

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 04:16 AM

QUOTE (enve19 @ Sep 17 2004, 04:43 PM)
Oh well the only thing i can do is give it a shot with the adapter first.

Get my grandads reading glasses out to do the d0 point and possibly the soldering!!!

Try a frickn' pair of binoculars, man I know I'm getting old but I got a pair of those cheap Walgreens glasses plus a magnifying glass and then I can do the dO ! I hope.

#15 Wrincle

Wrincle

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:If you wanna know, ask me.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 September 2004 - 04:18 AM

From what I hear, the Xenium ICE is a great chip. You made a great choice. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users