14 replies to this topic

#1 warbeast

warbeast

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 06:28 PM

my 120g hdd gets VERY hot i have been told about a kind of water cool thing u can get any one know anything to do to keep it cool

and i am not moveing to north pole

#2 cadman

cadman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 07:18 PM

Is your xbox closed on a cabinet or something?. If you fit it on a tight space I would place a clip on fan (3 bucks) to make sure you ventilate the area with cool air.
Why is your drive so hot? Is it an old drive?

#3 Drew826

Drew826

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:38 PM

I've never heard of water cooling a drive, but i suppose it's possible...

#4 Hawk

Hawk

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (Drew826 @ Aug 8 2002, 07:38 PM)
I've never heard of water cooling a drive, but i suppose it's possible...

Yeah they exist.

#5 Dark Schneider

Dark Schneider

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 09:00 PM

Course you can water cool the hard drive, but then where do you put the reservoir and the pump...and the hoses? You're gonna find your system isn't so portable if ya try it,...oh...and another thing..you don't just TRY watercooling for the hell of it! =) You better know exactly what you are doing, and what the consequences are before you begin.

Might as well take your Xbox apart and put it in a mini-atx case of sorts if you plan on super-cooling your xbox inards!

Heh or cut a huge whole in the top of your xbox and mount an Alpha Pal8045 with a screamer on top...put a grill also..might lose a pinky!

#6 Dark Schneider

Dark Schneider

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 09:01 PM

In all fairness the best thing would be to see if you could fit an aluminum hard drive cooler in the area with the xbox, but then you'd have to splice the power converter to add it. Not a real hard thing to do, just gettting more into the realm of f'ing your xbox up!

#7 public_enema

public_enema

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (warbeast @ Aug 8 2002, 05:28 PM)
my 120g hdd gets VERY hot i have been told about a kind of water cool thing u can get any one know anything to do to keep it cool

and i am not moveing to north pole

So what hard drive is this then? - one to avoid.

I bets it a 7200 rpm one innit?

#8 AC Slater

AC Slater

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 12:12 AM

I have an IBM 120 7200rpm drive in my box and it doesn't get very hot at all. It's not the quietest drive available, but it does the job and doesn't overheat. What kind of drive do you have?

#9 HELLTICK

HELLTICK

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 August 2002 - 12:39 AM

hey ....i had the same prob with my WD 120...only way to keep it cool was to keep the upper cover off and use the $3.00 clip fan...funny thing is i took it back and got 2- 80 giggers (paid the small difference) and no heat issue's anymore...i've had the thing on for 24 hours...with the 120 i would get game freezes...dont know what it is , as they are both 7200 rpm...so now i just swap h/d's as necessary...keeping all the good shit in 1 drive(primary) then the shit that is sort of good to the (secondary) drive...been play'n...transfer'n for 24 hours (with upper cover on and no fan)...no more problems...hope this helps... dry.gif

#10 Dark Schneider

Dark Schneider

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 04:13 AM

LOL now you got me thinking about making the Xbox into a hot-swappable raid config...lol...too much time on my hands I think.

#11 cadman

cadman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 04:34 PM

Ok... why in hell are you guys having so much problem with heat. I have an 120GB WD 7200rpm and don't have any problem at all. This drive have been on for 24hrs!!... So here is what I think is going on.

1. If you are placing your hand on the disk drive, it WILL heat up is a HD it suppose to.

2. Before releasing the HD the manufacturer put the HD to a series of test that involve heating and cooling the HD to insane temperatures. With this information they release a Temp. # which the HD can withstand without failing on information transfer. look for the drive datasheet on the manufacturer web page. here an example:

Operating :
Ambient Temperature 5 to 55 degrees celcius (approx 131deg F). Is your drive up to 131 degrees??? (that's very hot).

3. Is strange to me that a new drive make that much noise. I can't even hear mine. return it! and get another one.

4. a 7200 rpm can run cooler than a 5200... there is no relation on this it depends on the drive!!!!!

5. Please don't place your hand on the back fan and say OHHH is hot!!. If you look inside you will se that the main function of the fan is to extract the hot air from the CPU heat sink. Did you place the hand before the HD exchange??? so how do you know it wasn't running that hot before!!!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#12 WiKKiD

WiKKiD

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 04:54 PM

Well, the only problem with the stress testing hdd's undergo by manufacturers is that it is nowhere near real-world stress testing... Anybody who doubts that, ask why IBM no longer manufacturs hdd's..

If heat is killing your hdd, it won't happen the moment it hits a specific temperature, what actually happens is the platters warp due to heat.. This is a slow process that can happen over months.. You are best to keep your hdd's as cool as possible at all times..

I'm not looking to make anyone paranoid, or scared... But what would be cool is if someone out there has hardware manufacturing connections, a nice lil custom fan setup specifically for the xbox hdd would be a sweet (and i'm quite sure profitable) venture. smile.gif

#13 cadman

cadman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 06:37 PM

Well is always a good idea to keep everything as cool as possible, but you need to understand what cool means. The only reason IBM wouldn't like to manufacture HD anymore is because HD buisness turns out to be a commodity, no big profit. You can buy a 80GB HD for 100 bucks, not a big margin ah!!
And yes they still put they name on it. That's why they still sale HD's. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif they are made in Hungary.

#14 WiKKiD

WiKKiD

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 12:25 AM

IBM sold it's hard drive manufacturing division to Fujitsu, sorry to say...

Reason being the entire GXP series of hard drives, and an extremely large, valid, civil law suit that will probably take a nice chunk of change from IBM...

#15 rzyzzy

rzyzzy

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 10 August 2002 - 04:41 AM

I'm not looking to make anyone paranoid, or scared... But what would be cool is if someone out there has hardware manufacturing connections, a nice lil custom fan setup specifically for the xbox hdd would be a sweet (and i'm quite sure profitable) venture.  

http://www.lik-sang....oducts_id=1944

$12.90, 'Nuff said....

Also, If you're worried about the durability of the drives, Buy one in a "retail" box - the "OEM" drives have a shorter warranty... My WD 5400rpm 120 GB was $153 shipped( about $20 more than the lowest price on pricewatch), in a retail box with a 3 year warranty, and it came with an 80 conductor ata-66 cable... Seems to run very cool too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users