X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:37 AM

****How to Unban Your Xbox 1.6 from Xbox Live!*****
*****************************by lithite********

I have been told that eepromagic will work for a 1.6 xbox, I havent looked into or tested this.

IT IS MY OPINION THAT THE RECENT
BANS ARE LINKED TO HDD SERIALS AND THAT
ANY EEPROM SWITCH MUST BE COUPLED WITH
A NEW HDD

**WARNING**

This will work with any version, but pre 1.6 should use configmagic and a pre 1.6 eeprom.

I take no resposibility if you xbox becomes a very expensive paperweight. A modchip with a backed up eeprom is reccomended.

This is nothing more than a compilation of information found in various places, combined with very little that i had to figure out myself. I am not the first person to succesfully do this, but i believe that I am the 5th published person who has, so I know that this works. Please, before beginning, read all the way through to gain a full understanding of the procedures.

edit:several people have reported that this tutorial will work after it was posted. THanks for all your help goes to the guinea pigs out there who risked a $150 investment, often more, all based on my word. You are in our hearts and minds.

END WARNING

If done correctly, this should take 30mins, including downloading time.

To begin:
Tools you will need:
  • Crossover cat-5 Cable
    (cant do this through a router, at least I couldnt find a way, because ltools sets a static ip to 192.168.0.3)
  • An xbox app w/ ftp capabilities...ltools provided ftp wont work as it is read-only.
    (I will use evox for this tutorial, it is what I used.)
  • Latest release of ltools, found in the usual places.
    (Check the x-s tuts for more info)
    edit:I just remembered how hard this was to find. YES, it is in the single usual place, but it is considered a standalone OS, if that helps.
  • An unbanned 1.6 eeprom
    (.bin, 1 kbyte)
    edit:YES IT MUST BE A 1.6 EEPROM, NO AN OLD EEPROM WILL NOT WORK, EVEN IF RIPPED w/ LTOOLS
  • Patience
    (corny, but true)
******NOT A STEP, BUT UNLOCK YOUR HDD FIRST! I WONT EXPLAIN HOW TO DO THIS HERE, BUT DO IT!

1.connect crossover cable to your computer's ethernet port, and change the settings on that connection manually to 192.168.0.1, leave the rest (except subnet) blank
(On a windows PC, right click the connection and choose properties. Select tcp/ip, and choose properties.)

2.boot up evox and connect via ftp. upload your .bin file, something easy to remember(eeprom.bin)

3.download ltools and upload the entire folder to your e drive, as it looks it should go. navigate to the default.xbe and make note of the directory you are in. make a link to it in your evox.ini file.

4.on your xbox, select your link to ltools, select run mini-linux, and your screen goes numb. you are blind. walk away.

5.back at your computer, connect to your xbox via telnet on 192.168.0.3. login as "root" with password "xbox"

6.type in the following:
CODE
xtool -a -f eeprom.bin

it had better read it like an eeprom, and list a buch of information, including serial, etc... also make sure that the region is the same. and so on.

7.when you are satisfied that the eeprom is valid, and only then, type
CODE
xtool -w eeprom.bin

then type y, enter, and wait a little bit. then you are done.

7.2edit:If you want to change the region, do so now by typing
CODE
xberegion
Follow the onscreen instructions, which will allow you to put in a region, then require you to
CODE
xtool -w new_region.bin

8.IMPORTANT!!!!!!--before turning off the xbox, type
CODE
xtool -a

and make sure it is valid. if it is not, type in
CODE
xtool -w eeprom_bkp.bin

and try again. This will reset your xbox to its old configuration.

9. reboot your xbox, lock the hard drive, and bask in its wonderous xbl glory!

let me know what you thought of my first tutorial by posting to this thread or by PM. remember, typos and thngs that are downright wrong will go unfixed unless you say something. thanks.

Looking for a 1.6 eeprom for sale?
check out either seller 1 or seller a
seller A|seller 1

[lithite]
because it's magic

Edited by lithite, 04 November 2004 - 08:20 PM.

#2 Angerwound

Angerwound

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:39 AM

Excellant Job Lithite. Glad to see someone took the time to put this together. Mind if I link to it within my EEPROM sales thread?

#3 lithite

lithite

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:54 AM

yeah that'd be great. Im gonna try to clean it up a bit, as you can tell this is a bit of a thrown together tut.

edit:cleaned.

Edited by lithite, 21 September 2004 - 08:02 PM.

#4 lithite

lithite

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 11:21 AM

bump noses w/ a babe!
Made a few important edits!

#5 monkeyfleas

monkeyfleas

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:35 AM

Superb guide, lithite - really well done.

I just have two questions for you:

1. If it's an NTSC R1 eeprom - how do you flash it to a PAL R4?

2. After you've flashed, how do you turn the box back into an R4 PAL?

Thanks for the guide - fantastic work.

#6 lithite

lithite

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (monkeyfleas @ Sep 21 2004, 01:38 AM)
Superb guide, lithite - really well done.

I just have two questions for you:

1. If it's an NTSC R1 eeprom - how do you flash it to a PAL R4?

2. After you've flashed, how do you turn the box back into an R4 PAL?

Thanks for the guide - fantastic work.

Thanks, Im glad you like it.

As for the Question, I know that you can change the region, at the same screen, after flashing your eeprom, just type xberegion and follow the guide, you will have to flash new_region.bin, or w/e...
Im not sure about changing the video std...If you have a Xenium Running XOS 2 you can do it blndly, and until i find something better that's waht Ill have to suggest... Ill get back to you on that. If anyone has any Ideas, nows the time to speak up.

#7 oochr1soo

oochr1soo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:40 AM

Awsome.. Few questions before i try this out..

1. i just copy ltools over, no install needed correct? And which version is the best for it, the 007, MA 1.75 or the 1.75 SC NTSC?
2. When you say edit evox.ini to add the path to ltools, is that for the launch menu?
3. Does it matter where you put the EEPROM on the xbox?
4. If the region is off thats edited after you run the command "xtool -w eeprom.bin" or before?

Other than that I think i understand everything else.. I might read it a few more times to make sure lol.. Good stuff though..

Chris

Edited by oochr1soo, 22 September 2004 - 01:42 AM.

#8 lithite

lithite

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:55 AM

QUOTE (oochr1soo @ Sep 21 2004, 08:43 PM)
Awsome.. Few questions before i try this out..

1. i just copy ltools over, no install needed correct? And which version is the best for it, the 007, MA 1.75 or the 1.75 SC NTSC?
2. When you say edit evox.ini to add the path to ltools, is that for the launch menu?
3. Does it matter where you put the EEPROM on the xbox?
4. If the region is off thats edited after you run the command "xtool -w eeprom.bin" or before?

Other than that I think i understand everything else.. I might read it a few more times to make sure lol.. Good stuff though..

Chris

1.All of the things are the same, they just use different games to run them, and you must upload it as if it were a save game or mini linux will not work correctly.
when you d/l it, it will come in a folder like udata, upload tha to that same folder, so that udata's contents are uploaded to udata(the easiest way to do this is to copy the root to the rrot of e, i believe, but use your common sense, its been a month since i installed ltools)

2. yes. Just make it so that you can launch default.xbe in the evox menu...this is to save time from navigating all the way to the path of default.xbe, which would be long and tedious, as it is designed to look like a save game.

3.for the sake of ease, put it on e, or else you will have to put the path for the flashing like xtool -w ./eeprom/eeprom.bin( i think)

4.After.
xberegion reads the currently flashed eeprom and then writes it to a .bin file, changing the region on the fly. then you must reflash it, new_region.bin, back to the thing using xtool. if you are using an ntsc box, as i assume you are, just stick w/ angerwound's eeproms, they are region 1.

as an alternative, you can use the exceedingly okay tool provided in xos2, which works some of the time, but also may get you banned...Im not sure.

edit: If in danger, if in doubt, run in circles, sream and shout...or just ask.

Edited by lithite, 22 September 2004 - 04:04 AM.

#9 monkeyfleas

monkeyfleas

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 06:58 AM

If I run an R4 PAL XBox temporarily as an R4 NTSC Xbox, will I be banned? MS would surely detect that I was running non-standard hardware, wouldn't they?

#10 lithite

lithite

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 11:20 AM

yes they would, but you dont have to... Let me ask what mod chip you have? You can change a ntssc into a pal box

#11 monkeyfleas

monkeyfleas

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:32 PM

I have a DuoX, and my XBox is a 1.6, which I bought in Australia - I assume making it Region 4. Our DVD's are R4, anyway. So, it's a 1.6 PAL R4 Xbox - and the eeprom I bought from AW is a 1.6 R1 NTSC.

Any solutions?

#12 Spency234

Spency234

LEAFS NATION

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:40 PM

This should be pinned IMO.

beerchug.gif

#13 lithite

lithite

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (Spency234 @ Sep 22 2004, 10:43 AM)
This should be pinned IMO.

beerchug.gif

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! NOW GET SOMEONE TO DOI IT!

#14 monkeyfleas

monkeyfleas

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:53 AM

Helloooo? Anyone out there?

I'm getting desperate, guys! Does ANYONE know how to change an NTSC eeprom to PAL on a 1.6? I was emailing AW this morning, and he says that I'll not be banned with an R4 NTSC box - but that i'll only be able to play NTSC discs, which totally ruins the point of the exercise.

THere's got to be some Australians out there who've done this. Anyone?

#15 lithite

lithite

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:40 AM

im sure taht there is... but im working on figuring it out now, please be patient, I have alot on my mind, and getting this figured out for you is not at the top of my list. Try asking ldots if there is a command in ltools which lets you do it...I know that XOS2 will do it, so consider maybe booting your xbxo w/ a friend's xenium in, editing eeprom, and switching back?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users