• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Slickee

Slickee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:10 AM

Ok I've had a look through the first few pages for some info and found a few things but if someone could clirify a few things for me that would be great.

As I understand things the exc2.6 comes fitted with switches for enabling and disabling the mod. The machine I'm looking at also comes with Evo X installed.
Am I correct in saying that if I boot up my box with the mod disabled it will load the deafult MS dash and if it's enabled during boot up it should load the Evo x dash?

Also how does having an upgraded HDD affect LIVE? If I boot the xbox with the mod disabled am I correct in saying that as long as the HDD is "locked" then there should be no problems whatsoever?

Which leads me to my next question. How do you "lock" and "unlock" the upgraded HDD? Is there another switch for this or is it doe in the Evo x settings.

Lastly. The machine I am looking at also comes installed with HDD Loader for backing games up to the HDD. Is this program easier to use than Evo x for this purpose?

ANyway guys, I know you must get frustrated with peeps asking this stuff alllll the time but any help you can give, and time you can spare in replying is greatly appreciated believe me.

Thanx. biggrin.gif

#2 Nightfire-Player

Nightfire-Player

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:20 AM

Am I correct in saying that if I boot up my box with the mod disabled it will load the deafult MS dash and if it's enabled during boot up it should load the Evo x dash?

Thats correct.

Also how does having an upgraded HDD affect LIVE? If I boot the xbox with the mod disabled am I correct in saying that as long as the HDD is "locked" then there should be no problems whatsoever?

Thats also correct.

Which leads me to my next question. How do you "lock" and "unlock" the upgraded HDD? Is there another switch for this or is it doe in the Evo x settings.

ConfigMagic is an app that can be put on the box to do it.

Lastly. The machine I am looking at also comes installed with HDD Loader for backing games up to the HDD. Is this program easier to use than Evo x for this purpose?

Evox doesnt backup the games, Evox is a dashboard. There is an app called DVD2XBOX which does exactly what its name says. This can be used to backuo games as well.

#3 Slickee

Slickee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:53 AM

Hey Nightfire, thanx for getting back to me.

Not being that BIG on all this stuff is making me ask lot's of questions but I just wanna get something thats easy to use and let me get the best from my setup with minimum hassle.

ok! So I had a look in some of the FAQ's and spotted some stuff about Configmagic. Fromm what I understand this is now part of Evo-x and this generates the password for locking and unlocking your HDD? Is this easy to do?
I read somewhere in the thread that it is just one menu command to lock / unlock but is it quite evident where to do this?
It also mentioned that the HDD MUST be locked to play on XBL, is this still the case?

I also had a look at the machine I'm considering purchasing and it does have the dvd2xbox app that you were talking abuot pre installed. Is this programme easy to use?

Once again thanx to anyone who takes the time to get back to me. smile.gif

#4 Nightfire-Player

Nightfire-Player

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:58 AM

As far as I know dvd2xbox has follow on-screen instructions like, Press A, press White, etc,etc.

Yes to use XBL your hdd must be locked so you can boot the original m$ files.

Have never used config magic or never unlocked/locked my hdd cause I still have the originals (until I get some spare cash). But I tihnk they are pretty easy to use.

#5 Strud1512

Strud1512

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:36 AM

ok! So I had a look in some of the FAQ's and spotted some stuff about Configmagic. Fromm what I understand this is now part of Evo-x and this generates the password for locking and unlocking your HDD? Is this easy to do?

ConfigMagic is not a apart of EvoX - it is a separate app that does a lot more than just locking/unlocking the HD. However, EvoX does now have the ability to lock/unlock your HD itself, by adding a few menu commands. It is very easy to do.

I read somewhere in the thread that it is just one menu command to lock / unlock but is it quite evident where to do this?

The commands are added to evox.ini - look at the tutorials for EvolutionX.

It also mentioned that the HDD MUST be locked to play on XBL, is this still the case?

Actually, the HD must be locked to load the retail bios, not XBLive itself. However, since you must be using the retail bios to use Live without banning, it amounts to the same thing.

#6 Slickee

Slickee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:05 AM

Thanx for that Strud.

Guess I'm gonna have to go and read up a bit more. As I've said I'm all new to this so I'm really just learning as I go.

All I'm really looking to do is back up my originals onto the HDD for link play with my other box and to be able to do the region swap to unlock the HDTV settings for using on LIVE!
So all I really need to do is lock and unlock the upgraded HDD each time I want to either play LIVE or back up / play link up's?

You say that all I really need to do is change the evox.ini file each time? To be perfectly honest I don't even know how to do that yet........ blink.gif
Still I appreciate you taking the time to help me out dude. Cheers.

#7 Strud1512

Strud1512

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:54 AM

So all I really need to do is lock and unlock the upgraded HDD each time I want to either play LIVE or back up / play link up's?

No, not at all - just leave it locked all the time. It doesn't matter if it is locked or unlocked when using the modchip, so just leave it locked to work with the retail bios/XBLive when you want to disable the chip and go online.

You say that all I really need to do is change the evox.ini file each time? To be perfectly honest I don't even know how to do that yet........ blink.gif

No, no.
You can add 2 menu items that are there all the time
eg
Lock Hard Drive
Unlock Hard Drive

You will not have to use them though. As I said, just lock and leave it alone.

#8 Slickee

Slickee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:34 PM

I seeeeeeeee.

Right, well that makes things a bit simpler.

I guess I'll just lock my hard drive and leave it then.

With it locked the retail bios will just think it's the standard 8Gb HDD right?

So what happeens when I use Evo-x? Willl it allow me to use the extra hardware available to me with the 120Gb drive installed? So long as everything is kept within the correct partitions on the drive everything should be fine right?

Thanx.

Edited by Slickee, 21 September 2004 - 06:37 PM.

#9 thewickedjester

thewickedjester

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Slickee @ Sep 21 2004, 02:37 PM)
With it locked the retail bios will just think it's the standard 8Gb HDD right?

Bassically

So what happeens when I use Evo-x? Willl it allow me to use the extra hardware available to me with the 120Gb drive installed? So long as everything is kept within the correct partitions on the drive everything should be fine right?

Yeah, youll see the extra space

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users