dbldown768

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:42 PM

Ok, so i decided to pick this game up yesterday, mainly because it was the first battlfield 1942 style of play to make it to a console. Im not a huge star wars fan by any extent and i took the game for what it was worth. I wasnt impressed.

My first concern is that the game doesnt have enough options to keep you playing for months on in. For example, you try to capture the other teams command posts online to win the battle, but thats all you can do. There are no other styles of games to play.

Another problem i believe is going to stick with this game and console playing is the Lag. Now i was in one room that wasnt too bad on XBL but that host had 768 upload and 768 download and was paying $70 a month for it. I dont think all the average gamers can afford that bill - he was using a business connection. Another thing i just found out, is that PS2 and PC versions are using Gamespy as thier host - the good thing about this is they allowed users to download Server code to run a dedicated server for both of those version - none for the Xbox.

Since Xbox console gaming is all P2P i think is going to be hard for them to get close to having 16 users in one arena. That being said the AI bots that are in the game can be very stupid and not help at all. I think that MS should look into having a centralized server for such games since most users usually have a greater download speed that upload.

The graphics are good and the sound of a LA game are always good, however if i was to do it all over again i think i would have just rented the game first. I think I might even consider selling this one back or on ebay it things dont change.

Maybe Xlink Kai people can host a better game than XBL - i know that could be possible.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the online portion of the game suggestions welcomed.

#2 esc1

esc1

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:37 PM

You can run Battlefront as a dedicated server and support 24 people right off the CD, without downloading anything. rolleyes.gif

I do agree with you however, it is a tad laggy from what I have experienced. Definately need a fast connection to serve, but think about it. All those bots and players, theres going to be a little lag if the connection is not up to par.

#3 dbldown768

dbldown768

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:40 PM

but the deal with the dedicated server for ps2 and pc is that you can use your pc for the dedicated server while playing the game on your ps2 - this way your ps2 isnt hosting as well.

Edited by dbldown768, 22 September 2004 - 03:41 PM.

#4 Allen626

Allen626

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 September 2004 - 12:09 AM

There definetly needs a dedicated server program for PC. Almost all people that would host it will not because there hosting service doesnt have xbox's.

#5 DuDeR MaN

DuDeR MaN

X-S X-perience

• PipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:57 AM

this game is enjoyable for the short run. for the long run, I don't quite know yet but it may have enough in it to last.

I've only played it fora day but I like it so far.

#6 awal

awal

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Interests:XBOX
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:57 PM

is it any fun without xbl?

#7 esc1

esc1

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 04:24 AM

Yea me and a bud had a blast doing co op for six hours the other day. smile.gif

#8 wes4real

wes4real

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 12:38 PM

Its an ok game apart from...

1-It is glitchy and laggy!!

2- the weapons are pathetic!

3- you have to pick a weapon b4 playing:S

4- the 1 player mode is basicly multi with ai(HOW GAY)

5- NO SABERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in all the game plays ok..ish and is fun for a couple of days(online) but this game could have been soooo much better just like so many other xbox games since i played halo evrything else just sucks assssssssss!!!!

#9 rgtaa

rgtaa

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 03 October 2004 - 01:26 PM

just like Battlefield 1942 had no story ...same with this game.
Jumping into the different walkers, airships,turrets is fun ...just like 1942.
Just compare it to 1942 and not Story Based games.
If you don't like 1942 you will not like this.
If you get bored with 1942 you will get bored with this.
If you LOVE 1942 you will LOVE this game! love.gif love.gif love.gif pop.gif
If you set up one xbox as dedicated server NO LAG! smile.gif
It has setup screen in game that gives you that OPTION (make this xbox dedicated server)
GREAT for LAN party! 24 people.

Edited by rgtaa, 03 October 2004 - 01:34 PM.

#10 handydan

handydan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:15 AM

i get NO lag when playing.

and it's keeping me occupied like you wouldn't believe.

of course i'm a very very huge star wars geek- so that probbaly helps.

#11 browndanielusn

browndanielusn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Coding, Database Design, anything computer related.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 21 October 2004 - 05:50 AM

my wife and i ran through it in a weekend, completing all scenarios and modes. i haven't tried it on live yet, but it was fun while it lasted...at least it will hold me over until Nov. 9th

#12 crossova

crossova

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:51 PM

single play gets boring quick. it wouldve been nice if you could just obtain any weapons or special features throughout the time that you play...so a wookie could find a jet pack and use it or maybe even a light saber. that wouldve been hot.

the connections online with XBL are horrible. once in a blue, i'll actually get a good game without too much lag.

#13 DuDeR MaN

DuDeR MaN

X-S X-perience

• PipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 23 October 2004 - 01:20 AM

single player and splitscreen is only fun for about a week and then it get old fast. I know realise how many problems this game has. Most notible is the AI. I was stuck on a freaking mission that I couldn't because the computer opponents get one shot kills where as my computer teammates will stand directly next to an enemy and not freaking shoot. I ended up shooting alot of my own guys from being pissed. Don't get me wrong.. this game is fun but not for any longer than a rental (for the campaign modes and galatic conquest anyway). I don't know about xbl play, that may be what saves this game. I have to get a new xbl account to find out. But it pisses me off that the game (in single player/split screen) is basically you against an entire sith army, or rebel or whatever side you are playing.

*end rant*

#14 Iron_Man

Iron_Man

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:THe X-Box, Game -Cube, And PS2
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:54 AM

I personally loved this game.I mean I'm no expert but I like this guys point of veiw All those people, Theres bound to be lag. beerchug.gif

#15 mattydread

mattydread

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:48 PM

i play it at home on singleplayer and love it, running around windmilling into a barrage of gunfire, you can choose a whole raft of characters (with halo you get 1)
Jet packs, various weapons, vehicles galore, yours and the enemys!

I thoroughly enjoy it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users