#1 kelemvor

kelemvor

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:39 PM

I have a v1.0 box and when I booted off Slayers Boot disk I noticed that the tempreatures were well over 100 degrees. I'm letting slayers format my new hard drive right now and the temps currently say 132 CUP, 118 MB. Is that normal?

The fan in the back is running but I can't really feel much air movement. But if those are normal temperatuers I just won't worry about it.

Now it is rather warm today where I'm workign on it and it will normally be in the basement where it's much cooler so hopefully that will help as well. But just wanted to see if I shoudl be worrying or not.

#2 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:57 PM

CPU: 50-69 degrees C.
Mobo: 45-ish C.

You're box will automatically shutdown, flash orange and kick the fan speed up to 100% is you exceed about 70 C.

If your overly concerned, use XBtool to mod your BIOS (provided it's an X2) for a higher constant fan speed. Even better, make XBMC your main dash and control everything fan/heat related from there.

Footnote: If you're lazy, just go to google and use the C to F calculator... smile.gif

#3 kelemvor

kelemvor

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 11:05 PM

I see in XBMC where it tells me the speed is set at 20% but I can't get down to it to modify it. Do I need to install something first to let me do that? I have the 6983 or whatever it is Bios and just got done installing SLayers disk but haven't found where everything is yet.

Also, how do I get out of XBMC and back to EvoX when I'm done? Can't seem to get a button to exit me.

#4 Mog

Mog

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 September 2004 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (kelemvor @ Sep 22 2004, 07:08 PM)
I see in XBMC where it tells me the speed is set at 20% but I can't get down to it to modify it. Do I need to install something first to let me do that? I have the 6983 or whatever it is Bios and just got done installing SLayers disk but haven't found where everything is yet.

Also, how do I get out of XBMC and back to EvoX when I'm done? Can't seem to get a button to exit me.

Go to the usual places and get XBtool. Open up the bios you're going to be using on your computer with xbtool, and there you can up the fan speed. FTP that little fucker into the bios directory in evox and reflash.

Now, as for exiting XBMC, to the bottom right of the screen there are two little buttons. Reboot, shutdown, and dashboard commands are there. Just look a little harder. wink.gif

#5 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 11:32 PM

Dude, he's runnig the 4983 bios, which is encrypted, and CAN'T be modded. Futhermore, his reboot button could be linked to ANY xbe, not just evoxbios.xbe. Although with a SlaYer's install, it's most likely defaulted as such, but, hell, you never know. It might have gotten linked to xboxdash.xbe or something.

Remember, this ia a NOOB forum. Tailor your posts as such.

As for kelemovr:
20% is the BIOS default. XBMC can override that (temporarily), but only when it's running. Hence, my suggestion that you make it your main dash (which won't always help anyway) Regular XBOX games should never overheat your box (unless your blocking the airflow or something).

A better option in XMBC auto-temp control, rather than setting the fanspeed yourself. That's just above the fanspeed control setting. Just set the auto-control value to whatever temp you want, and the fanspeed will automatically adjust to keep it at that chosen temp.

If you really want control over both, edit the settings.ini file in E:\TDATA\0face008 to:
<autotemperature>true</autotemperature>
<fanspeedcontrol>true</fanspeedcontrol>

And if you have the X2 4983 bios, you can't modify the bios, so you can't set it to have the fanspeed at a certain level at ALL times (re: in dash, in game, in emu, etc.)

If Evox is still your main dash, and you want to get from ANYWHERE back to it, press Back, Start, LTrigger and RTrigger all at the same time (aka IGR).

If your still worried, use the X2 4981 bios, and modify the CONSTANT fanspeed with XBTool.

Edited by Xombe, 22 September 2004 - 11:37 PM.

#6 McRocket

McRocket

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:43 AM

I got a question related to this topic...Is heatsink better than a fan?

#7 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:07 AM

Can't be compared. One complements the other. If the box CPU had no heat sink, it fry (literally) shortly after powerup. But, if there was no fan to move air over the heatsink and through the case, you would have heat problems real soon then too, all over the mobo.

If you're talking about the GFX chip and it's changes from v1.0 --> v1.6, that's a different story. The newer boxes have graphics chips designed so that a HS is enough, and the additional fan on top of the GFX HS (found in older models) is not longer necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users