• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sketch016

sketch016

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:15 AM

This is my first attempt to mod a case. I've cut the jewel hole out of my case, experimenting with various dremel bits (very messy) then I've been cleaning it up with a dremel sanding drum. The lip left is a fairly nice circle and pretty smooth, but not quite as perfect as many of the xboxs I see on this site appear to be. I guess my question is... are there any tips or techniques from those who have done this to create a nice perfect circle? Is it just patience and skill with a dremel sanding drum? Or is there any specific technique or attachment to make this easier. I left myself some extra lip to sand down and make it perfect, any tips would be appreciated.

#2 jacksparrow

jacksparrow

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts
  • Interests:Long walks on the beach
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:17 AM

i will make a mini tut:
-use search
-read tuts
-go to main page faqs
this has been asked a gajillion times (yes i made that word up, what are you going to do about it). seriously, i know ure new to the site but cmon its a waste of all of our time.

use a 2.5 in drill bit it works perfectly...and learn how to use the resources that people have put up for u instead of wasting time

#3 sketch016

sketch016

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:42 AM

Sorry, I did read the tutorials and did quite a few searches through the forums. I was a bit scared to try the hole saw since it left little room for error, I'm not very experienced using one. I got the other option of using the dremel from the tutorials. All I found on the subject was just sanding it down to a circle. I was just hoping to get some insight from someone with experience on a way to make it more perfect. Like some way to guide it more accurately. Sorry again if this topic is beaten to death smile.gif I really haven't found anything else on using the dremel.

#4 squeek

squeek

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:04 AM

i just did mine a couple weeks ago and i just went to the local sears and bought the 2 1/2 inch hole saw and i have never used one b4 and i just started it slow to get the right spot then i just did it. mine turned out great. then i just hit the rough edges with some sandpaper and wala. you might wanna practice doing it on a piece of scrap wood or something if you are really that worried. i did
hope this helped

#5 God-send

God-send

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:27 PM

2.5" hole cutter here also. I just used a bit type thing that goes into a drill and poof a perfect circle without little sanding.

#6 Samstag

Samstag

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:59 PM

I find it very hard to believe you did any searching. How can you miss the Case Modding Frequently Asked Questions [faq], Rules, and Key/Important guides/threads??

It's the second post in this forum.

Seriously.

#7 Scaramanga

Scaramanga

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:05 PM

got 2 words for you-
Hole Saw

#8 sketch016

sketch016

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Samstag @ Sep 23 2004, 03:02 PM)
I find it very hard to believe you did any searching.  How can you miss the Case Modding Frequently Asked Questions [faq], Rules, and Key/Important guides/threads??

It's the second post in this forum.

Seriously.

Yes I did read through that post, along with many others. Besides stating "Use a hole saw" or "Use a dremel to sand it", none of them offered anything on the technique of performing the task, which is what I was asking for. My hole has been cut already, with a little room to clean it up, so a hole saw is no longer an option. Again, sorry to upset people with a stupid question. I was just hoping to hear if there were any attachments, tricks, etc. to sand it down to a clean perfect circle rather than using my artisic side to do it by eye.

#9 SICKdimension

SICKdimension

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:TO IM ME, STATE YOUR REASON, DON'T JUST SAY "HEY R U THERE?"
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:38 PM

Get a hole saw with the drill bit centered in the middle. First I would drill a small hole dead center, then use the big hole saw, and drill in that hole, and it will be perfectly centered. No errors.

#10 eldarko

eldarko

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:34 PM

After I got my hole roughed in with the dremel I sanded it by hand. The circle was almost perfect. I didn't even need to glue my custom jewel in because it fit so tight.

#11 DisapearingAct

DisapearingAct

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:52 AM

QUOTE (SICKdimension @ Sep 23 2004, 09:41 PM)
Get a hole saw with the drill bit centered in the middle. First I would drill a small hole dead center, then use the big hole saw, and drill in that hole, and it will be perfectly centered. No errors.

i did something similar to this - i had to hold the xbox down - u can also clamp it - and my co-worker from above used this drill - with the perfect diameter bit - it left a little edge for the jewel - its amazing how thick the top was !~

whatever u do take ur time _

SICKdimension - did u ever finish ur xbox?

#12 fuzzdaddyo

fuzzdaddyo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 24 September 2004 - 01:43 PM

I've had great luck cutting out holes using the router attachment for the dremel tool and the tips that work best (IMO) are the ones that look like drill bits but are designed to side cut rather than drill.

#13 sstrasser86

sstrasser86

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:sports, stealing music, and playin xbox

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:11 PM

how big is the actual jewel?

#14 Zodiiak

Zodiiak

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 24 September 2004 - 03:49 PM

2.5 hole saw - works perfectly wink.gif

#15 RelativeAsh

RelativeAsh

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 04:28 PM

What size would be used for an S-controller jewel?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users