• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GT!

GT!

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:55 AM

I'm trying to make a backup of a DVD movie from my xBox to a DVD-recorder. The DVD-recorder refuses to record, indicating that the source is copy-protected. I'm assuming this means Macrovision is present. How can I disable this?

I did some reading and I've seen posts that say the BIOS should disable Macrovision. I just upgraded to X2 4983.06, which claims to disable it, but still getting the copy-protected signal. Any suggestions?

I'm using the HD-pack if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

-GT

#2 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 September 2004 - 05:29 AM

this isn't macrovision, macrovision is what wont allow you to run a dvd through a vcr, which for the xbox is disabled when you install a modchip, or by connecting a few points on the mobo
the movie is just copy protected, get a pc app such as dvd shrink or dvdxcopy or something to remove the protection and back it up

#3 GT!

GT!

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (Psilocybe @ Sep 23 2004, 06:32 AM)
this isn't macrovision, macrovision is what wont allow you to run a dvd through a vcr, which for the xbox is disabled when you install a modchip, or by connecting a few points on the mobo
the movie is just copy protected, get a pc app such as dvd shrink or dvdxcopy or something to remove the protection and back it up

I'm playing an original DVD movie in my modded xBox. I've connected a DVD-recorder to the AV outputs of the xBox and I'm trying to record it. The DVD-recorder won't permit it saying that the signal is copy-protected. Are you sure this isn't Macrovision? Sounds to me like I'm doing the same thing you describe with a VCR, except I'm using newer technology (the DVD-recorder).

Thanks.

#4 XboyAdvance

XboyAdvance

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:07 PM

You can use THE Program "DVD-Cloner 2" To copy DVD's. IT's the best DVD Backup tool available.

#5 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:28 PM

ah i get what you mean now, so what you are saying is taht you have a dvd recording device that is a stand alone system like a vcr would be
i would still guess that the dvd recorder you have just doesn't want to copy the media because it is protected with a security key, or encrypted or copywrited
what macrovision does is when you have the device that is Playing the dvd movie connected to another device rather than straight to the television, you will get a bad image quality, or a black and white image, or blips every so often, etc

#6 GT!

GT!

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (Psilocybe @ Sep 23 2004, 10:31 PM)
ah i get what you mean now, so what you are saying is taht you have a dvd recording device that is a stand alone system like a vcr would be
i would still guess that the dvd recorder you have just doesn't want to copy the media because it is protected with a security key, or encrypted or copywrited
what macrovision does is when you have the device that is Playing the dvd movie connected to another device rather than straight to the television, you will get a bad image quality, or a black and white image, or blips every so often, etc

Exactly! However, instead of giving poor quality, the standalone dvd-recorder detects macrovision and just refuses to record at all.

DVD-cloner will not work for me. I don't have a dvd burner for my PC. Decided to get the standalone recorder first since it also allows me to dump video from my satellite PVR. The standalone recorder also saves me the time & effort to rip the dvd content, but this is besides the point.

Anyone have ideas?

#7 ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (GT! @ Sep 23 2004, 02:38 PM)
Exactly! However, instead of giving poor quality, the standalone dvd-recorder detects macrovision and just refuses to record at all.

DVD-cloner will not work for me. I don't have a dvd burner for my PC. Decided to get the standalone recorder first since it also allows me to dump video from my satellite PVR. The standalone recorder also saves me the time & effort to rip the dvd content, but this is besides the point.

Anyone have ideas?

Well, this is a crap shot, but have you tried hooking your PVR up to your Xbox, recording the DVD to that, then burning the DVD that was backed up to your PVR?

I hope you're not doing this to make backups of your DVDs, since you're going to have a TON of quality loss.

#8 alwaysonjohn

alwaysonjohn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 27 October 2004 - 05:28 AM

XBMC will get rid of the block for you... however some movies won't play (don't ask me why). I am looking at other software for the xbox to see, but your only option now is either using xbmc to play the dvd, or use dvd2xbox to copy to a folder on your xbox and play the folder using xbmc (for the movies that won't play). good luck...

Psilocybe, i thought you were all knowledgeable.....? Your still cool in my book. beerchug.gif

(and i won't tell anyone) ph34r.gif

#9 XBOX War3z

XBOX War3z

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 27 October 2004 - 01:10 PM

The BIOS removes the macrovision protection but it doesnt work if you are using the Xbox Dashboard.
You could use XBMC but just use DVD-X2 which will play any DVD.

#10 alwaysonjohn

alwaysonjohn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 27 October 2004 - 03:31 PM

dvdX doesn't work at all...

#11 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 12:36 AM

Psilocybe, i thought you were all knowledgeable.....? Your still cool in my book

what is that about?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users