• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pimplicious

pimplicious

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:06 PM

First off, i'm a newbie and this is probably stupid so feel free to laugh. I'm certainly no stranger to trying to get personal computers to do things they were not designed to so this seemed like the obsious next evolution (no pun intended wink.gif ). Unfortunately I have encountered somewhat of a snag. I installed an X 2.3 B Pro with no problem. Flashed the bios to 4981.67 with X2BM 2.2 also without event. A guy I work with hooked me up with an EvoX boot disk and SlaYer's 2.5 to help me on my way. I started with the EvoX boot disk to install my dashboard. Everything worked fine chip off as well as chip on with one exception, the installed dash was missing a few choices like launch DVD and the launch games and apps menu as wall as not launching the default dashboard when you click Launch MS Dash. At that point I tried the SlaYer disk to install the dash with the same results. My friend at work told me how to ftp to the box and copy the evoxdash.xbe and the evox.ini files from the DVD to my C drive, and to modify the .ini to make sure Launch MS Dash pointed to the original xboxdash.xbe. Now the Evox dashboard works flawlesly and I can play rented games etc. Happy, and with a bit of proud arrogance, I played a game from my hard drive and after a while deciced to boot without the chip on and guess what? Error 21! I have made sure to have a known good copy xboxdash.xbe in the C drive, formatted the HDD, reinstalled Evox, and nothing works. Everything works fine while the chip is on, so long as I don't hit Launch MS Dash, which gets me the Error 21 again. I don't care about XBL, at least not at the moment, and if there was any other way to set the clock, manipulate saved games etc. I realy wouldn't care. However I'm EXTREMELY anal and won't be satisfied until it is perfect. Now I must implore your help, the wise mod gods, to remedy this situation. Any help appreciated, no criticism to harsh.

Please and thank you.

#2 thewickedjester

thewickedjester

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:43 PM

sorry, that was a bit to long for me to read, it sounds like your hdd might not be locked. but im not sure this would cause an error 21, anyways, error 21 means that the xbox was told to boot to an error, mabye a corrupted gamesave?

try empting out the cache drives
X:
Y:
Z:
E:\Cache

just delete the files in them not the directories themselves.

#3 pimplicious

pimplicious

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:54 PM

Since a few places discuss 21 being a posible hdd error i replaced the original with a 60 gig maxtor. I made sure to lock it, and it's freshly formatted so at the moment there aren't any game saves on it.

#4 pimplicious

pimplicious

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:56 PM

Sorry about the length, I wanted to be thorough in my description just in case I might have missed some minor detail.

#5 thewickedjester

thewickedjester

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 07:03 PM

what did you use to install the files that are already on there?

can you boot to an evox boot disk? if so, try ftping in and replacing the dashbaord files that way, its possible they were corrupted on whatever disc you used to install them

#6 Cog

Cog

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:02 PM

and for the love of god, paragraphs please.

#7 nikeskateboarding.net

nikeskateboarding.net

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:51 PM

Error 21 = HD not locked, also meaning that the new bios that was installed is looking for a file name that wasnt found

i.e. = if your evox file is evox.xbe and the bios is looking for evoxdash.xbe, then the system will look for the msdash

Since your hard drive is not locked you get error 21, try burning an evox copy on some kind of media and then rename the file

#8 pimplicious

pimplicious

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:43 PM

I have Evox working fine, I only seem to have problems with the xboxdash.xbe. When I don't have it installed I get a 13 error if try to go from EvoX, or a 14 if I boot with the chip off. I think both of those are about not finding the dashboard. When I do install it I get the 21. Is there the posibility that the xboxdash.xbe I'm using isn't compatible with my revision? If so how would I find out? Also, are there specific files required to support xboxdash.xbe and where could I find out what they are?

#9 pimplicious

pimplicious

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:58 PM

Good news everybody. I have seccessfuly reinstalled my xboxdash with the help os SlaYers 2.6. Apparently, 2.5 never was installing M$ Dash like it said it would, hence the continuous errors. The 2.6 is love on a disk, so I would recommend all of you other noobs like myself grab it ASAP. With too many things for us to screw up doing our first mods it's a good tool have should you encounter problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users