the_devil73

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 03 October 2004 - 05:54 PM

Don't thread crap.

Edited by mrRobinson, 04 October 2004 - 08:55 PM.

#17 betaluva

betaluva

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 01:26 AM

MS Corp. today announced the availability of a free technology preview for Windows XP Embedded with Service Pack 2 (SP2) for download and testing. Windows XP Embedded delivers the power of Windows in componentized form to enable device-makers to rapidly build reliable and advanced small-footprint devices such as point-of-service (POS) kiosks, medical systems and thin clients.

Windows XP Embedded with SP2 Technology Preview is available for download via the Windows Embedded Web site. Delivering on MS's commitment to make new Windows XP Embedded technologies available within 90 days of the client release, Windows XP Embedded SP2 will ship in the second half of 2004.
http://www.MS.com/do...&displaylang=en

#18 h8raid

h8raid

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:56 AM

Nice update on the latest release, I will head over there and check it out. We have decided to go ahead and work with XP Embedded exactly for the reasons mentioned above. It is a perfect platform for our goals, we want a stable uncluttered environment that will run efficiently. At the same time this platform will also support everything you will get with XP, only with Embedded, you have more control over things at startup, thus giving you a more powerful operating system.

#19 klik

klik

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 11:32 PM

Windows PE could be the first step. It is Windows Preinstallation Environment. It comes with every XP installation disk. But you need extract it out with some script and tools. A great tool for recovery if your XP die.
It is supposed to run on any hardware and have most funtionalities of XP. It can be used to run Target Analyzer(MS XP embedded site has an article about it). But it is pretty large(150M) so it is impossible to boot from RAM. Maybe someone can turn CD boot sector code into a XBE, then put every thing on to a CD and let XBox boot it. I suppose Windows PE can read file from the CD if the CD is in ISO format. Now the only obstacle is that XBOX crashes when Windows scans PCI bus. Maybe someone could change a few bytes in Windows binary tongue.gif

#20 betaluva

betaluva

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 01:32 AM

you need a custom bios for the xbox to boot winPE,trust me ,people have allready tried, it looks like a custom cromwell bios would be the best bet.

#21 fire2501

fire2501

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:33 AM

alright then, our next step is to get some bios coders because this sounds like the biggest obstical wink.gif

#22 h8raid

h8raid

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 04:43 AM

Alright guys, this is sort of unrelated, but the headline right now about Mac OS running is interesting news to say the least. I realize the two OS are completely different, however, the techniques these guys used are interesting. Check out their site and review some of their works. It would be nice if we may be able to find a similar solution to what these guys have done. I am going to do some research on pearPC to see exactly what it is. I am assuming it is a Mac tool, and unfortunately, I am not familiar at all with Mac. My goal here is to see what exact role that portion of their install plays, the way their site reads, it sets up the installation environment. It will be interesting to see what is really going on more in depth with their installation of the Mac OS. Once again, I realize the two OS are completely different, I am only suggesting their methods of installation may be worth taking a look at, I do not expect it to be a solution for us to do something similar, however, their methods could very well be tweaked to suit our needs and make things a bit easier on our part. Let's get some feedback on this, I am going to go ahead and start researching, if anybody is more knowledgable, please give us your input in this thread.
Edit: Oops, forgot about something else that was recently brought up in the thread. Scan-C and I had previously discussed the possibility of a modified Cromwell bios to boot. It is true that the bios would be the most effective way to get things working, however, there are other things which I am sure Fire knows to be a bigger problem with this idea. The amount and complexity of the coding would be insane, and would most likely make the solution extremely difficult at best to implement. If there is anybody that would like to get onboard with the team and start working on this idea, please send a PM. The thing that needs to be realized is that there are underlying obstacles we are currently unaware of with getting Windows to run. What this means is that our first project may work, but it may get to a certain point, and an alternate route must be taken. For this reason, I would like to see a few different approaches to this project, this will establish a few key things. It will allow members of the team to learn what is going on with the installation from different perspectives which will help when another part of the team reaches a stopping point. Hopefully, the knowledge gained from one side of the project will help solve problems later on, and we will end up with a few solutions to the problem whether than just having one way to do things. This in turn, will make for a more successful project in my opinion as it would be more versatile in the end.
Regards,
-H8raid

Edited by h8raid, 06 October 2004 - 04:50 AM.

#23 betaluva

betaluva

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:11 AM

thought thesemight help, differences between ms fat and fatx ,http://www.xbox-linux.org/docs/msbios.html understanding the xbox bootprocess,http://www.xbox-linux.org/docs/msbios.html

#24 betaluva

betaluva

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:15 AM

RE: mac osx on xbox,they are just using pear-pc for linux, if you need info about mac-osx more just ask.

#25 Scan-C

Scan-C

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:55 AM

pearpc is only a powerpc emulator. would be like we are using vmware and tell we got windows running.

h8raid and i were discussing about remote booting xpe as cromwell supports the pxe remote boot client. i'm looking over this right now and i want to at least get cromwell to catch the image file.
the idea with a bootloader xbe which acts as cdrom boot sector sounds pretty good to me. we should at least be able to get pe showing a system message before it crashes. anyone who could code such xbe?

#26 Scan-C

Scan-C

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:58 AM

h8raid, i saw your post just now. was really busy as you know.

We have been working hard since last july if i remeber correctly.We made a loader, we can get it to boot but with no video! This windows (Unforunately) is based on NT 4.0

dont tell X-S this, but we have Ideas for an Xbox-Windows!!!!!!

like windows XP, windows 200, there will be and xbox-windows with ful software compatibility.

Were using a bios based on Award. AMI is xtremley hard to decode and the files uncompressed are like 4 mb. We made a Linux Loader (fucks up your xbox) but its buggy.

We have only gotten this far do to a team of 20 hard working seniors and juniors, 3 willing teachers, and 10 million dollars budget

dont tell x-s there gonna ask questions and were going to try to make a release by x-mas and get em all by suprise!

PS, if we do get it to work, its only for Modchip Xboxes only, this of course will be released under the GPL

10 million dollar and a hacked award bios... yeah rotfl.gif

Edited by Scan-C, 06 October 2004 - 09:59 AM.

#27 h8raid

h8raid

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:41 AM

Haha, I have been really busy myself with these classes, thanks for posting that I was looking for it in my PMs but its gotten lost, lol. Also, after I started looking into PearPC that's what I found out, so that shoots down that idea. Looks like they just did the same thing people are doing to run windows through bochs only with their own stuff instead. Oh well, I also like the idea of a bootloader xbe as well. Also just to let everyone know, betaluva is going to be helping out, mostly he will be researching and maintaining the thread. Meanwhile, xantium still has not responded so I am assuming he is not interested in the project. Looking for programmers! We need a classified ad on X-S homepage. laugh.gif Well, if anybody knows any programmers/wants to help recruit, we need the extra help.
Regards,
-H8raid

#28 fire2501

fire2501

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 02:12 PM

yea we do need an add on the x-s home page, say like windows on xbox project brought back into play, we need experienced xbox coders that would like to help with the project. wink.gif

oh and by the way, yes embedded will take alot to code... right now im looking at images of embedded that other people have coded that might relate to the xbox a little more, then we may be able to work from that wink.gif

Edited by fire2501, 06 October 2004 - 02:13 PM.

#29 klik

klik

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 02:13 PM

There is award bios source floating around p2p. Maybe that one could be referenced instead of cromwell bios.

#30 Scan-C

Scan-C

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (klik @ Oct 6 2004, 03:16 PM)
There is award bios source floating around p2p. Maybe that one could be referenced instead of cromwell bios.

didn't know that but i'll look at it. recoding the bios is pretty hard because of all the initialisationprocesses but maybe some of the code can be used in cromwell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users