374 replies to this topic

#331 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:30 AM

For those who are so fond of XPE, you do know that there would be some licensing requirement that will never make it possible on Xbox, don't you ? Either MS would simply deny you from distributing it or the royalty would be too high for 'amateurs' I saw here ;-)

#332 netdroid9

netdroid9

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:46 AM

There IS a Timebombed version, and a beta which I doubt has a timebomb. Both are perfectly ok to distrobute from what I've heard.

It's legaler than those hacked up M$ bioses (of which I think most bioses are), and the XDK compiled files that aren't supposed to be distrobuted without M$'s consent.

Edited by netdroid9, 15 May 2005 - 04:51 AM.

#333 Shadow7789

Shadow7789

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:19 PM

I am really sick of waiting. Xbox 360 is comming out this year. You guys should just do whatever will be ready the soonest.

#334 tfgbd

tfgbd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:19 AM

If there were legal issues in relation to distributing the full XP Embedded OS, the author could always just distribute the Target Designer project file and simply include download and build instructions to make it easier for end users to set up. It shouldn't take anymore than a few minutes to generate the OS image build and has the added benefit of letting the end user add some optional components they may wish to use....

XPe should also work fine in an emulator like QEMU if you want to try, though its just not the same... sad.gif

Oh, and Pocket PCs are built on "Windows CE", not XP.
Also, there is no such thing as "Windows CE Embedded." Its always embedded anyway because its designed as an Embedded OS. tongue.gif

#335 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:26 AM

QUOTE(tfgbd @ May 20 2005, 08:30 AM)
If there were legal issues in relation to distributing the full XP Embedded OS, the author could always just distribute the Target Designer project file and simply include download and build instructions to make it easier for end users to set up.  It shouldn't take anymore than a few minutes to generate the OS image build and has the added benefit of letting the end user add some optional components they may wish to use....

XPe should also work fine in an emulator like QEMU if you want to try, though its just not the same... sad.gif

Oh, and Pocket PCs are built on "Windows CE", not XP.
Also, there is no such thing as "Windows CE Embedded."  Its always embedded anyway because its designed as an Embedded OS.  tongue.gif

View Post

Interesting perspective. I thought building OS are for geeks and people asking for Windows on Xbox seems to be not in that camp. BTW, what you are saying is that XPE is effectively FREE so long I don't mind building the OS ? Hard to believe as assuming that I am a mid to large size corp, I can do what you said and popular all my desktop with tailor made XP(like a customized distro in linux term) and save hundreds of K(if not millions) per year license fee ?

#336 netdroid9

netdroid9

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:13 PM

Of course, there is the matter of the 120 day TIMEBOMB, chimpanzee.

#337 Slipknot01

Slipknot01

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE(Slipknot01 @ May 11 2005, 10:30 PM)
will this be possible to use without a gamepad & just a controller?

-Slipknot01

View Post

Question still not answered.... dry.gif

#338 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(netdroid9 @ May 24 2005, 02:24 PM)
Of course, there is the matter of the 120 day TIMEBOMB, chimpanzee.

View Post

I see. So the users of this phentom XPE on Xbox release just need to rebuild it every 120 days, that sounds like a nice solution ;-)

#339 netdroid9

netdroid9

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE(Slipknot01 @ May 25 2005, 09:20 AM)
Question still not answered....  dry.gif

View Post

*Sigh*

Yes, just use the XBCD drivers, and the ControlMK software from the same place.

#340 Slipknot01

Slipknot01

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:24 PM

usual placeq?

#341 _Sorcerer_

_Sorcerer_

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:00 PM

Hey!
I thought that I can help you out with coding, if needed. So if you are trying port Windows XP for XBox I am in. But only for make a chalange, because I think linux is better on XBox than WinXP, although XBox kernel is someting like Windows 2000 kernel, so there is posibilities that that one is going to work. dry.gif

#342 the_devil73

the_devil73

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:00 PM

no one is in this forum anymore man, its been dead for a while. I lay flowers on it grave every once in a while, but no one is here nemore. Better look at mac osx for the xbox 360

#343 Cio

Cio

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:07 PM

It's not dead jet.. just in a coma. Once all hope is lost, the plug will be pulled. Untill then, there's qemu.

#344 sick_mate_xbox

sick_mate_xbox

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:-Skateboarding<br />-My VT Commodore<br />-Xbox Modding<br />-Rachael :)<br />-Snakes
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:00 AM

i wonder how that ReactOS port for the xbox is going.. i hope that comes along. havent seen updates on it for a while yet..

#345 The_Chemist187

The_Chemist187

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:im in high school and i don't have much money im also jobless<br /><br />http://www.cellphonehacks.com/viewtopic.php?p=120913&amp;highlight=#120913
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:19 AM

Im confused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users