#346 edude03

edude03

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:03 PM

Hmmm... some one will probably beat me up for this, but has anyone seen www.linuxbios.org ? the is a section on that site about running other operation systems after linux boots.... something about using a glue layer called ADLO (iirc) maybe we can borrow ::steal:: some of there code :-P

Ok i'll go get my casket ready
Michael

#347 nt authority

nt authority

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:26 AM

WINDOWS SOURCE CODE FOR BOTH NT4 AND WIN2K BUILDS WERE LEAKED.

Considering the massive knowledge base and amount of applications and hardware devices created to exploit the xbox system this source code can most definitley be used to create a full version of windows for the xbox that can be installed in a native, proper, and full fashion that is truly complete.

Has anyone considered these methods, resources, concepts ???

(1) Build a full Xbox Native Windows from the ground up: Using leaked Windows 2000 Source Code with the missing "non-leaked" components substituted with the relative parts from

(A) leaked Windows NT4 {this has boot code and kernel initialization code in \nt\private\ntos\private\boot\ and \nt\private\ntos\init\ which would allow for the construction of an XBOX specific NTLDR/OSLOADER.EXE and/or NTOSKRNL.EXE

( REACTOS source code: the REACTOS avenue appears great as it already has a Hardware Abstraction Layer with custom code for the XBOX.

(2) Windows CE.NET source code, samples, and binary image building - Dependent on the CE .NET framework to a large extent it nevertheless provides an execellent resource especially when it comes to the construction of pre-kernel (and as such pre WinCE) executions such as those that occur in the hardware enumerating OEM ADAPTION LAYER during boot: a DEFAULT.XBE boot loader has already been constructed for the XBOX and a WinCE NK.NB0 image has been released. Modification to WinCE source code, specifically to the XBOX WinCE image mentioned above (that already works) could lead us somewhere.

By injecting leaked NT/WIN2K code, BIOS/x86 Emulation code such as Bochs, and possibly code from the EFI firmware interface released from INTEL, one could create a glorified superBIOS: This would be a WinCE OS perhaps residing on a LPC module like normal modchips and would allow execution of a normal PC windows setup program (unmodified). This is quite a complex idea but essentially works by creating an intermediate layer between the XBOX and Windows and thus makes Windows think it is installing itself on a PC instead of an XBOX.

(3) Create a BIOS PE FILE to replace XBOXKRNL.EXE then package it up under CABinet protocol and insert it back into the BIOS BOOT ROM so that it is unpacked upon POST.

Obviously we would rebuild NTOSKRNL.EXE using leaked code, rename it as XBOXKRNL.EXE, reseal it with appropriate cryptography and compression and then flash it into the region where the XBOX exepcts such to be.

This would then expect a HAL and Device Drivers as well as a Session Manager Sub-System and further programs at least up to the Winlogon.exe point where a system boot officially comes to an end.

#348 Spartan-048

Spartan-048

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:00 AM

You know, this bring me back to a thread I made... ( http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=502787 ). If this could work, I'd definetly use it on the project were working on. Good luck to you guys smile.gif . Hmm... I'd also have to run to and fro on the wikipedia to really get into what you guys are talking about sad.gif

#349 ferjero989

ferjero989

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:53 AM

mmm... i've reading this from the very begining.. and.. well.. i would like to say some things
1- the challenge was to run a windows on the xbox. selected ONE win98... i agree
2- some ppl tried to talk about wince and winxpe.. ok.. its easier BUT THATS NOT THE F** THREAD ABOUT
i vote to use win98 se. i tried all windows versions in my pc already... with a huge hard drive and up to 5 boots (win95, win98se, winme, win2k and winxp) so.. i can say i was running all at once..
was a pentium 550 slot 1, with 448 megs, 16 megs nvidia riva tnt and a sound blaster live. everything was fine.. BUT... winME sucks BIG TIME.... win2k... takes WAY TO MORE to load up. winXP is ok.. win98SE was amazing (just dont load up ie6.2). win95.. well.. kinda limited...
i vote to continue the proyect with the win98se... and those assholes talking about using winxpe and all that... shut up and open a new thread about running winxpe in the xbox...

#350 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Reverse engineering, Linux, crazy operating systems voodoo, embedded development
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:43 AM

In case you'd missed the actual point of the discussion - running any version of Windows (other than CE, which is not the same OS but merely shares a name and the general API design) on the Xbox without using emulation will require some tricky binary patching that is well outside the capability of almost everyone who is interested. Getting 98 to run would likely be *more* difficult than getting 2000/XP to run, because consumer Windows has a much less well designed kernel with a poorer hardware abstraction - it would likely need to be modified quite significantly. Getting an NT-based Windows to run would likely only require boot-time modifications as the hardware abstraction layer is far more complete.

Either way the chances of anyone actually doing it are pretty tiny. It's extremely hard to do without the source code, and those who have the source legitimately are not allowed to tell (Shared Source licencing for Windows requires a non-disclosure agreement, which is my position).

#351 thepureamrit

thepureamrit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:08 AM

Ahhh,

Allow me to introduce my self. I am The Pure Amrit. When I first read this topic, I knew this was right for me. I am a Windows Geek. I have been reading this article since the begining. The thought of running Windows PE on an XBOX is not bad. I do not know if someone had suguested Bart PE, but it can work. In Bart PE, you can create plugins for Windows XP (OR 2003) and modify the whole OS. In my (worthless) ammount of experiance, I believe that Windows 2003, and Windows CE will be the bet choice for the XBOX. Shure, it is possiable that you can make drivers for the XBOX. The Dashboard (and the rest of the xbox software) is only a modified version of the Windows 2000 Kernel (and Direct X). If That Helps Out At All, I Would Like To Know.

thanks

~The Pure Amrit

P.S.

If The XBOX is only Windows 2000, There is still hope for Windows XP... ( wink.gif wink.gif ,Hint Hint)

#352 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Reverse engineering, Linux, crazy operating systems voodoo, embedded development

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE(thepureamrit @ Nov 22 2006, 01:15 AM) View Post

In Bart PE, you can create plugins for Windows XP (OR 2003) and modify the whole OS.

Those are just convenient ways to include/exclude particular files, they don't patch OS files.

The Dashboard (and the rest of the xbox software) is only a modified version of the Windows 2000 Kernel (and Direct X). If That Helps Out At All, I Would Like To Know.

Nope. The Xbox kernel is not in any way useful to run Windows - it's not compatible in any way with the NT kernels, even though it's derived from them (the most fundamental issue: NT syscalls take wide Unicode strings, Xbox syscalls take ASCII, so all string-based APIs are immediately incompatible).

Running Windows on the Xbox would have to work the same way as Linux - a loader replaces the existing kernel with something else.

#353 nathan24

nathan24

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:00 PM

i am trying to get into windows 98 through xdsl but when i click on aterminal the windows 98 bootscreen comes up then a blackscreen with sum writing come up tahat says cd-rom device driver for ide(fourchannels supported.)Copyright oak technology inc.1993-1996.Driver version:V340. Device name:Tomato.Transfer Mode:Programmed 1/0.Drve0: Port=170.(secondary channel).Master IRQ=15.Firmware version :0.6

Ex version 2.25. Copyright © Microsoft Corp.1986-1995.All right reserved.Drive 6 Driver TOMATO unit 0.
i installed xdsl by ftp if that helps.

Thanks

#354 jake09071990

jake09071990

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:51 PM

Ok well i only read the first post and had an i dea pop into my head. pop.gif Well we can make windows not make the check by using nlite to modify the instalation disk. i have done this at least 10 times before and it can take out almost all of the minimum system requirements that are on the install disk.

Just thought this would help alot.

This is to modify windows XP only.

Edited by jake09071990, 17 March 2007 - 06:52 PM.

#355 Scan-C

Scan-C

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

Oh WOW! This thread is still alive and a sticky? O_O I was away a long time I know and I got a lot of PM's asking for the source...
I didn't read everything til my last post but I'm sorry to say the source and binarys are lost. I got into some situation which stopped me from working on the code and visit these forums...
Well, I think Windows on the XBOX is still something we should try to archive and I would really like to get a project starting but this isn't as easy as using nlite. It needs patching of binary files and rewriting alot of Win32-Functions used at boottime.
I will need some time to get into all this again. I just tried to replace my Dashboard and, believe it or not, I couldn't remember how to name the xbe.

If someone knowing assembler wants to help, look over the files ntldr and kernel32.dll and try to understand it's basic inner workings. That's where patches need to be applied.
I'll be off know but I'm happy to be here again. The community seems to be as polite and friendly as ever.

Cya

#356 PunMaster

PunMaster

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:37 AM

Hey. I've been looking at all the forums about running Windows natively on the Xbox and have become very interested. smile.gif I have a ton of questions but would love to help if I can! First of all, it seems as if the latest piece of working code, the CE .NET thing, is quite old but looks very promising. What the heck happened to that? How could a project that cool just die? Am I missing something? Secondly, What's the current focus? I've heard of a lot of different ways people are trying to get various versions of Windows running on the Xbox. Which ideas are still being actively perused? Lastly, what do I need to do to get involved? I am good with assembly, C++, and C# .NET. I also know a lot about windows and the Xbox hardware. I would love to be a part of this, but as of now I am pretty confused about where the Xbox Windows endeavor is going. Thanks! biggrin.gif

#357 hellknight

hellknight

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:19 PM

It going no where sadly and I doubt with the 360 out that it will go any further then its death I hate saying it but this community and completely died since 360 came out and modding 360's isn't even that great and offers us nothing at the moment in the way of homebrew or anything like that so I really don't see or understand why 360 is slowly killing the xbox scene

#358 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(hellknight @ Mar 10 2008, 05:55 PM) View Post

It going no where sadly and I doubt with the 360 out that it will go any further then its death I hate saying it but this community and completely died since 360 came out and modding 360's isn't even that great and offers us nothing at the moment in the way of homebrew or anything like that so I really don't see or understand why 360 is slowly killing the xbox scene

The post you're replying to is over a year old, you know smile.gif

The 360 isn't responsible for the idea of running Windows on the Xbox dying - it died because if you're happy running it under a virtualizer then it works, and there are pretty detailed instructions on how to do it - and if you want to run it natively it requires huge amounts of very difficult effort (as I detailed for a number of people for quite a while).

Quite simply there's nothing to do smile.gif

#359 hellknight

hellknight

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:16 AM

I know its a year old but it is stickied so im not necroing it the scene in whole seems to be slowly dying not just this thread whereas the 360 threads seem to be booming I wouldn't mind seeing a post now and then about the progress (if any) to running windows on the xbox but Im sure there isn't any anymore now I feel like a fool saying anything

#360 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

There hasn't been any progress running windows natively on the xbox *ever*. Nobody has done anything at all.

It's too hard for too little reward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users