• Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic

#361 darkhanzou26

darkhanzou26

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:28 AM

Just a suggestion? (I don't know nearly enough about programming as I should) but I know that out there on the net is a CD called 'XP Live' (which is used on the computer to boot to an alternative on-CD OS for repairs) which has a windows/linux kernel that may do the trick for testing and programming. Just a suggestion (not looking to get flamed)

#362 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Reverse engineering, Linux, crazy operating systems voodoo, embedded development
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:23 PM

Running XP from a livecd is nothing to do with linux, just requires some PE magic (google BartPE and similar). Doesn't help tackle the fact that there's no NT bootloader that will work on the xbox, and that NT will crash when it looks around the xbox's PCI bus.

Sorry wink.gif

#363 grimdoomer

grimdoomer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:16 AM

Is this project still alive?

#364 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Reverse engineering, Linux, crazy operating systems voodoo, embedded development

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:37 PM

What project? Nobody with a clue what they're doing ever started anything. There is no project smile.gif

If you poke through this thread and the rest of this forum looking for my posts you'll find my debunking of why various ideas are dumb, and an explanation of what would actually be required to make Windows run natively. It's a gargantuan amount of effort. Nobody with the required skills cares that much.

#365 grimdoomer

grimdoomer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

Well it gave me an idea that I'm working on. Instead of port a OS that we don't have source for, and that would have countless issues, why not make a new OS for the xbox? The xbox already has APIs for mice and keyboards as well as anything else we would want. Well I decided to do something like this. I call it Carbon. So far I have support for mice and I'm working on creating windows that are dragable. I know it wont run anything from windows, but if we could get it to launch games, apps etc in the windows, it would be really neat. Even a desktop like system that you can launch apps and games from would be cool.

#366 Nextelhalo

Nextelhalo

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:25 PM

Man that would be cool as hell. I'll fully support you on this, i know nothing about creating this but anything i can do to help i will. I would love to see something like this created.

Man that would be cool as hell. I'll fully support you on this, i know nothing about creating this but anything i can do to help i will. I would love to see something like this created.

#367 hellknight

hellknight

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:41 AM

Hey any progress on that OS you were working on, I really think it would be cool but as far as I know the xbox can only run one kernal so would it even be possible to run a game or app in a window?

#368 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Getting tea-bagged and gang banged
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:10 AM

on this carbon thing... could you run WINE from it?

i know that might make you think of 'just another linux port', but wine is pretty good on different platforms at running windows based software.

ultimately your going to have to enable the NIC. sounds cool tho. toss some screenshots sometime of your work.

#369 WindowsOCManage

WindowsOCManage

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE(h8raid @ Sep 24 2004, 08:46 AM) View Post

"There's no source code for Windows. It has to not address some areas of the ram because this locks up the Xbox, and it has to not scan the pci bus otherwise, lockup. These are the major problems with Windows. Another thing are the drivers, there are none. The people who have Windows running use it through Bochs or Linux with VMWare. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it will be hard and without source code you will need a way to readdress the ramparts and stop the pci buxs scan. It's exactly the part where I am with my FreeDOS port. I'm just lacking the programming skills, but I'm learning right now biggrin.gif at least FreeDOS is open source so I can rewrite it. A bios would be pretty complicated, but maybe load a program into memory that does this [forces the checks to pass] before the actual Windows bootloader kicks in. What I mean is some kind of a layer between hardware and Windows. I'm not experienced enough to write such code, but I think it should be possible." ~ Scan-C

Exactly what memory region should we not access?

#370 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:17 PM

Read the xbox-linux patches.

#371 BuraddoX

BuraddoX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Loves to mod gaming consoles.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:25 AM

You's need to still work on this it sounds like a awesome idea happy.gif

#372 tomegtt

tomegtt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!I'm sorry my Office 2007 can't open files and the office 2010 too,I don't know what happend to my computers,and all the datas in files can't open it, the information about coach handbags,quad,motorcyle,guitar,the price the quantity,all messed up.

#373 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:17 AM

yea xbox has its os that's linux but nobody has worked on it in years. so its so out of date its sad. i wish the guys that did the linux work would come back for a bit update all your drivers fatx etc for kernel 3 etc. the old ass version of wine xbox linux runs is suck and fail compared to the new versions that will run abought anything.

Edited by luther349, 17 August 2011 - 12:18 AM.

#374 edwardrich01

edwardrich01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Haii I'm Edwardrich And I Light Up My Candles On Feb The Seventeenth. Im A Very Energetic.
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:56 AM

where can i get this windows software..

#375 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Sports

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE(tomegtt @ Jul 30 2011, 05:10 AM) View Post

HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!I'm sorry my Office 2007 can't open files and the office 2010 too,I don't know what happend to my computers,and all the datas in files can't open it, the information about coach handbags,quad,motorcyle,guitar,the price the quantity,all messed up.

Put the pipe down

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users