374 replies to this topic

#61 betaluva

betaluva

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 05:03 AM

guess what i just found amongst my files, the windows 2000 bootstraper that has been disassembled!,if anyone wants it pm me a email address and i will send it to you.

#62 fire2501

fire2501

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 23 October 2004 - 07:30 AM

alright people.. i just came up with an idea that could be either brilliant.. or fricken stupid and someone smack me with a wet beaver tail alright...

is there any way we can build an xbox app that will let us log onto another computer.. like remote desktop?? or even through linux wouldn't be that bad and better performance then getting it to run on the xbox... if we could make an app somehow that could use remote desktop to take control of an xp pro machine in ur house then it would be the same thing as running windows practically just faster.... i dunno i might be thinking stupid.. its late and my brains barely functioning.. so i cant even think of what to do to make this possible or not... but running a little program like remote desktop client off ur xbox.. instead of windows xp professional.. would obsiously take alot less system resourses!

#63 nagmine

nagmine

burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 October 2004 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (fire2501 @ Oct 23 2004, 08:33 AM)
alright people.. i just came up with an idea that could be either brilliant.. or fricken stupid and someone smack me with a wet beaver tail alright...

is there any way we can build an xbox app that will let us log onto another computer.. like remote desktop?? or even through linux wouldn't be that bad and better performance then getting it to run on the xbox... if we could make an app somehow that could use remote desktop to take control of an xp pro machine in ur house then it would be the same thing as running windows practically just faster.... i dunno i might be thinking stupid.. its late and my brains barely functioning.. so i cant even think of what to do to make this possible or not... but running a little program like remote desktop client off ur xbox.. instead of windows xp professional.. would obsiously take alot less system resourses!

lol and what would be the use in that? if you want windows on ur tv just get a video card that supports s video or something lol.

#64 h8raid

h8raid

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 07:48 AM

Yea definately scrap the remote desktop idea, that totally defeats the purpose here. Like already stated if thats how you want to run it just get a new video card. I am waiting on Scan-C to get back with me, and then this thread should be moving again. We are going to look at the bootstrap betaluva gave to us and see if we can get it to the point where we can actually get to the pci scans that are standing in our way. This is going to take some serious work and as of now Scan is the only real programmer on the team, so if you can code, and want to get involved, we need you. Just send a pm and we will get up to date on whats going on.

#65 fire2501

fire2501

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 03:39 PM

no what i mean is it would be practically the same thing.. it would look like ur running windows but ur not, and u could still go on the net and everything... im just asking if its possible, not if we should do it or not.. i still highly agree with getting windows running on the box itself. wink.gif

#66 Scan-C

Scan-C

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 23 October 2004 - 08:58 PM

you can easily do that with vnc. the server on the xp machine and client in linux on xbox but that isn't anywhere near what we want to do.

h8raid please send me the disassembled bootstrap. work is still keeping me busy but i'll take my breaks to look over the code.

someone mentioned loading ntldr through cromwell. i tried that and cromwell froze up.

but there is some light here. i got one of my teammates involved in this and we wrote a bootloader which in fact loaded the xpe kernel. it freezes and doesn't execute the kernel but it's a start. i hope i can get the source on monday. will post it asap.

#67 betaluva

betaluva

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 01:11 AM

i was just thinking,if we cant get windows to work on the xbox then maybe we could try react-os instead!, its open source,it should be easyer to compile/decompile,it should need less resources to run,there is even a live cd version(knoppix style),what do you think?i have extracted the bootloader from the iso,i can email it anyone wants it.

#68 betaluva

betaluva

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 02:10 AM

ok,i emailed brian-p and he has given us permission to create a custom version of freeloader if we want to,the only catch is if we create a custom version we have to share the code with brian,i have also emailed jason filby,RE a custom version of react-os,i have not got a reply yet.

#69 Scan-C

Scan-C

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:13 AM

reactos looks nice but isn't really functional right now. nearly every loaded win32 executable kills the system. but it can't hurt to have more os's running biggrin.gif

#70 Supplicium

Supplicium

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 October 2004 - 02:45 PM

if you need a website done and/or hosted i have mad webspace with a free domain register to kill so PM me if your interested. I can help with images and lil shit like that, this bios coding is over my head but if you ever get windows goin i can help a lil more in coding.

#71 h8raid

h8raid

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 06:05 PM

Sorry I havent been around in about a week, had some computer issues but I am back up now. Roadrunner screwed me so yea, internet was down for a week. Anyways, Scan-C, pm me with your email so I can send you the disassembled bootloader. Glad to hear you guys are making progress, so do you guys think we are ready to take Supplicium up on his offer for a site, or should we wait until we can document some things with screenies so we can show people that this project is going to be successful? Let me know what you guys want to do, personally, I think we should start a layout of the site, and get things ready to go, but wait to launch because it doesn't look like we are too far off from some real progress. Good work everybody!
Regards,
-H8raid

#72 Scan-C

Scan-C

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 07:10 PM

yup this way if we need it the layout is there. i would like a php news section for everybody on the team to add news.

couldn't get the source for now. this guy is everywhere but not on his desk laugh.gif

h8raid you have pm

#73 TSOPrano

TSOPrano

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 October 2004 - 07:29 PM

Can't wait you guys smile.gif

If you need beta/bug tester I have a few Xbox's to spare that can be used for more dangerous things.

beerchug.gif

#74 Code-X

Code-X

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 October 2004 - 10:30 PM

I think we should get a small site up with atleast the code we have so far, so people don't have to keep e-mailing eachother. Maybe a SourceForge page for now.

#75 betaluva

betaluva

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 11:24 PM

having our own site would be COOL!, i say yes.

Edited by betaluva, 27 October 2004 - 11:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users