• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BirdySOHC

BirdySOHC

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 06:35 AM

...where does the protected BIOS reside inside the XBOX?

Am I correct in thinking when an XBOX boots up with a chip, the chip's bios is the default -it doesn't care about a locked or unlocked HD. When you use Slayers tools to backup and lock your new HD... does it actually go to the protected BIOS and look for the "code" that it looks for on the HD and place it on the new HD, or is the protected BIOS simply happy knowing the new HD is locked -when you boot without a chip and use the M$ Dashboard?

[edit]I guess what I am asking too is this, there is no data on the OEM harddrive I need backed up. When EvoX backs up information on my system, it has the system generate it, and it will put it on my new HD. Once that is done, then I can FTP in and back up what I need to on the C drive. There basically isn't anything I need to grab off an OEM HD, on an Xbox that has never been played.[edit]

Edited by BirdySOHC, 25 September 2004 - 06:57 AM.

#2 thewickedjester

thewickedjester

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 September 2004 - 03:08 PM

the hdd key (or password) is put on the eeprom chip, not the bios. you can embed the hdd key INTO the bios as a sort of "info" so that if you make a backup and then open the bios in xbtool, it would show your hdd key.

just make sure that you hdd is unlocked before putting in the new one.

#3 triggernum5

triggernum5

X-S Messiah

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 September 2004 - 03:35 PM

You aren't actually backing up the hdd with evox's backup option. You are backing up data that resides on chips to the hdd. (Namely your eeprom contents, and bios contents)
As for the hdd contents, you have the option of transferring your stock hdd data to your new hdd, or using the files from an autoinstaller compatible with your xbox version to set up the msdash on the new hdd.

#4 BirdySOHC

BirdySOHC

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 10:14 PM

very cool. thanks guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users