43 replies to this topic

#1 angrypants

angrypants

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 07:01 AM

It seems like there is a huge amount of posts being made asking if emulators and roms can be run off of a dvd or cd. I think it would be a good idea to make a seperate sticky for this topic that would give people an idea on how to set up there stuff to run off a disk so we don't constantly end up answering the same question over and over again. This way if anyone asks we can just point them to the sticky about it insted of having to re-explain it again and again.

#2 scryed

scryed

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 07:07 AM

Ehhh somone should of made a straight-forward emulation FAQ a long time ago, lol

#3 deathx88

deathx88

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts
  • Interests:xbox stuff, guitar stuff, pc stuff, and hacking stuff
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 September 2004 - 07:35 AM

the n00bulous species do not read pinned topics

everyone knows that, its in our history books found at your local library

#4 Likklebaer

Likklebaer

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 September 2004 - 09:25 AM

Well here's a straight copy 'n paste of my sticky from the xboxemulation.co.uk forums. 5603 views and not a single complaint thus far. happy.gif

Okay, I'm making this a sticky so I don't have to keep repeating this information over and over again. Of course this is not the only way to do it but it's the quickest and, as far as I'm concerned, the most reliable. Everything I've burned in this way has worked perfectly. Also note that you'll need to use either DVD or CD-RW media. Some newer Xboxes can read CD-Rs but as a rule it's best to avoid them. When re-using CD-RW be sure to do a full erase and not just a quick one. Now...

First as a burning program you'll need either RecordNow Max (formerly PrimoDVD) or Nero. Maybe other programs work too, I neither know nor care. And ISO makers are a complete waste of time.

So unzip/unRAR your emulator then read the docs to make sure you know exactly what files are supposed to be in what folders (bios, roms etc.)

Now start your burning program and start a new data compilation. For RecordNow go to File-->New Job-->Data Disc. For Nero go to File-->New and select the 'CD-ROM (UDF)' icon.

Next you'll need to set up your burning options to be fully Xbox compatible. In RecordNow go to Edit-->Recording Options, set the Recording Type to 'Disc-at-Once, Closed' and the File System Type to 'UDF - 128 filename length, plus 8+3 bridge'.
In Nero set the Write Method to 'Disc-at-Once' then go to the UDF tab and tick the box for Xbox compatibility.

Now just drag all your emulator files and folders into the compilation making sure retain the directory structure and burn the disc as normal no faster than 4x.

You will now have a disk that will boot in your Xbox - Enjoy!

Edited by Likklebaer, 25 September 2004 - 09:35 AM.

#5 Zyyke

Zyyke

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 11:08 AM

I've been in the process of updating the Beginners Guide, and have included a short section regarding burning multigame/emulator discs. I have also linked to this thread for Likklebaer's short tut. Please tell me what you think.

If you have any input (positive/negative), please let me know.

Edited by Zyyke, 25 September 2004 - 11:08 AM.

#6 -joshua-

-joshua-

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE (Likklebaer @ Sep 25 2004, 10:28 AM)
Well here's a straight copy 'n paste of my sticky from the xboxemulation.co.uk forums. 5603 views and not a single complaint thus far. happy.gif

Okay, I'm making this a sticky so I don't have to keep repeating this information over and over again. Of course this is not the only way to do it but it's the quickest and, as far as I'm concerned, the most reliable. Everything I've burned in this way has worked perfectly. Also note that you'll need to use either DVD or CD-RW media. Some newer Xboxes can read CD-Rs but as a rule it's best to avoid them. When re-using CD-RW be sure to do a full erase and not just a quick one. Now...

First as a burning program you'll need either RecordNow Max (formerly PrimoDVD) or Nero. Maybe other programs work too, I neither know nor care. And ISO makers are a complete waste of time.

So unzip/unRAR your emulator then read the docs to make sure you know exactly what files are supposed to be in what folders (bios, roms etc.)

Now start your burning program and start a new data compilation. For RecordNow go to File-->New Job-->Data Disc. For Nero go to File-->New and select the 'CD-ROM (UDF)' icon.

Next you'll need to set up your burning options to be fully Xbox compatible. In RecordNow go to Edit-->Recording Options, set the Recording Type to 'Disc-at-Once, Closed' and the File System Type to 'UDF - 128 filename length, plus 8+3 bridge'.
In Nero set the Write Method to 'Disc-at-Once' then go to the UDF tab and tick the box for Xbox compatibility.

Now just drag all your emulator files and folders into the compilation making sure retain the directory structure and burn the disc as normal no faster than 4x.

You will now have a disk that will boot in your Xbox - Enjoy!

ok, i've followed this guide to a T, as its the only seemingly straightforward directions i've come across regarding this, yet when i've gotten every thing set up and burned to a cdrw and put my disc in my xbox it can't read it. is there something your leaving out here?, i'm assuming that one might first need some sort of program downloaded onto the xbox to read the emulators off of the disc in the first place, BUT that ISN'T mentioned in the guide here, and none of the other guides actually mention this, they all seem to start off strong and then quickly fall into a ramble and rant about which emulators are and will be available for the xbox rather than offer any helpful information about what a newbie NEEDS to know about getting an emulator up and running on the xbox. so my question is this: after you've sucessfully burnt your emulator of choice to a disc, do you need ANY other programs installed on your xbox to read it?

#7 devlkore

devlkore

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Interests:Games, Photoshop, martial arts, soft toys, PokéMon, PowerPuff Girls, cartoons, music, jumping
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (-joshua- @ Oct 4 2004, 03:56 AM)
ok, i've followed this guide to a T, as its the only seemingly straightforward directions i've come across regarding this, yet when i've gotten every thing set up and burned to a cdrw and put my disc in my xbox it can't read it. is there something your leaving out here?, i'm assuming that one might first need some sort of program downloaded onto the xbox to read the emulators off of the disc in the first place, BUT that ISN'T mentioned in the guide here, and none of the other guides actually mention this, they all seem to start off strong and then quickly fall into a ramble and rant about which emulators are and will be available for the xbox rather than offer any helpful information about what a newbie NEEDS to know about getting an emulator up and running on the xbox. so my question is this: after you've sucessfully burnt your emulator of choice to a disc, do you need ANY other programs installed on your xbox to read it?

No.

#8 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:44 AM

First, I have to ask the obvious question... is your XBox modded? Assuming it is modded, the likely problem is that your XBox simply can't read the brand of CDRW you are using. The XBox can read a lot of CDRW brands, but not all. Also, even though that guide says to burn things at no more than 4X, it has been my experience that the XBox reads discs burned at 2X the best. Finally, even though the guide says that ISO makers are a waste of time, I think that is wrong. IMO, it's easier to simply take a program like Craxtion and have it make the ISO for you. Then you can use basically any burning program you want without having to mess with any of the settings or worry about what mode to put it in.

Try this:

1) Put all your emulator files and ROMS in a folder on your PC (read the emulator documentation for the proper name of the ROM folder).
2) Start Craxtion and tell it to make an ISO out of the contents of that folder
3) Burn your ISO at 2X.

That's it.

#9 Likklebaer

Likklebaer

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE (Thraxen @ Oct 4 2004, 05:47 AM)
Finally, even though the guide says that ISO makers are a waste of time, I think that is wrong. IMO, it's easier to simply take a program like Craxtion and have it make the ISO for you. Then you can use basically any burning program you want without having to mess with any of the settings or worry about what mode to put it in.

Yeah, I forgot to take into account ppl who are too stupid to know how to change settings in the software they use.

Waste... of... time...

#10 Global_Throttle

Global_Throttle

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:12 AM

I don't think it was a waste of time.Just started emulation about 2 days ago and was wanting all of it off my little 10gig HD.It is done now because of this post.Thanx for the Craxtion add in that helped also.It helped me Thank you biggrin.gif

#11 -joshua-

-joshua-

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (Thraxen @ Oct 4 2004, 05:47 AM)

First, I have to ask the obvious question... is your XBox modded? Assuming it is modded, the likely problem is that your XBox simply can't read the brand of CDRW you are using. The XBox can read a lot of CDRW brands, but not all.

modded?, that's a bit of a broad term, are you referring to a hardware or software modification?, and what sort of a modification exactly are you inquiring about?, in other words, are you implying that i need to modify the xbox hardware just to be able to read the emulator from the disc?, as i had inquired about above? to answer your question no, my xbox is absolutely untouched, unmodified. and that is exactly the question i was posing above, so let me rephrase it a bit:

will my xbox read these emulators burnt to disc with out any "modifications" to it, be they HARDWARE or SOFTWARE modifications, just an out of the box xbox?

i am simply looking for a straightforward way to run the emulator on it.

#12 scryed

scryed

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE (-joshua- @ Oct 5 2004, 08:09 AM)
modded?, that's a bit of a broad term, are you referring to a hardware or software modification?, and what sort of a modification exactly are you inquiring about?, in other words, are you implying that i need to modify the xbox hardware just to be able to read the emulator from the disc?, as i had inquired about above? to answer your question no, my xbox is absolutely untouched, unmodified. and that is exactly the question i was posing above, so let me rephrase it a bit:

will my xbox read these emulators burnt to disc with out any "modifications" to it, be they HARDWARE or SOFTWARE modifications, just an out of the box xbox?

i am simply looking for a straightforward way to run the emulator on it.

broad term? Its a simple question. Is your xbox modded? Did you mod it from its retail version. Meaning either A. you have a mod chip installed, or B. You have an softmod using an exploit. Both things could have been answered with a yes or no for the "Is your xbox modded?" question.

When you are on these forums, it's under the impression that you have already modded it because there is no other way of using the software.

No your xbox cannot use emulators or any "outside" third party software that is not under M$ without it being modded.

xbox cannot read Burnt disks without a mod.

All you can do with an "out of the box" xbox is play xbox games.

#13 -joshua-

-joshua-

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (scryed @ Oct 5 2004, 08:21 AM)
broad term? Its a simple question. Is your xbox modded? Did you mod it from its retail version. Meaning either A. you have a mod chip installed, or B. You have an softmod using an exploit. Both things could have been answered with a yes or no for the "Is your xbox modded?" question.

it was a simple question, and i DID awnser your question with a simple "no" if you were paying attention, but i wanted to understand further the specific type of modification you were speaking of in order to better gain an understanding of what TYPE of modification you were implying i might need, as "modded" IS a VERY broad term that can mean any number of MODIFICATIONS that one could peform to the hardware or software of the system, since you were not being specific about this initially. you simply can't deduct that because you yourself know what type of modification you are referring to that someone else will without you being specific, unless they are already "in the know" about the type of modification that is required for this sort of situation, i wasn't "in the know", and that is why i was asking. i apologize if this offended you to ask you this, but thats what the forums are here for.

Edited by -joshua-, 05 October 2004 - 08:26 AM.

#14 scryed

scryed

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (-joshua- @ Oct 5 2004, 09:24 AM)
it was a simple question, and i DID awnser your question with a simple "no" if you were paying attention, but i wanted to understand to further the specific type of modification you were speaking of in order to better gain an understanding of what TYPE of modification you were implying i might need, as "modded" IS a VERY broad term that can mean any number of MODIFICATIONS that one could peform to the hardware or software of the system, since you were not being specific about this initially. you simply can't deduct that because you yourself know what type of modification you are referring to that someone else will without you being specific, unless they are already "in the know" about the type of modification that is required for this sort of situation, i wasn't "in the know", and that is why i was asking. i apologize if this offended you to ask you this, but thats what the forums are here for.

dry.gif

First of all, I don't get offended. You said broad term, the reason why it isn't is because you can't do any further modifications on the xbox without it being "modded". There is 2 only types of ways of modding an xbox to get any kind of other modification. Let it be software or hardware, without the a mod chip or exploit installed, you can't do anything else, so you number of modifications you are reffering to just went down to 2.

This is an xbox modding site. The front page has modchips and other stuff pertaining to xbox modification. I would say about 99% of the people here have a modded xbox or is trying to mod there xbox.

Yes, I expect most people who come to here be "in the know" and to actually to read the pinned topics, because you would have already known the answers to your questions.

Maybe you did a google search on xbox emulators and reached here without knowing what this site is about, thats not your fault, but you fubared on your part by not doing proper research on xbox emulation and trying to dive right into it.

If you want to use emulators please use the resources of this site to learn about modding and such first. It might be something that may interest you. This site is filled with tutorials/guides, other forums on modding, and other stuff. All I can say is happy journey.

beerchug.gif

#15 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:51 PM

Yeah, I forgot to take into account ppl who are too stupid to know how to change settings in the software they use.

I disagree and it has nothing to do with that. Using an ISO program allows you to pretty much use any burning program you want and makes it much easier to explain to people new to the scene how to burn a working disc. Otherwise you have to do what you did and attempt to explain the settings for specific burning programs... THAT is the real waste of time. What if someone normally uses CDRWin, Alcohol 120%, or even Easy CD/DVD Creator to burn CD/DVDs? All are common programs. Simply saying, "Create an ISO using Craxtion", removes the need to explain settings in any of them. Surely you can see how that is useful.

Edited by Thraxen, 05 October 2004 - 01:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users