• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scorper

Scorper

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 05:25 PM

I've googled for like an hour already and I haven't found what kind of DVDs I need to burn dowloaded games to my xbox. I mean a friend of mine says DVD-Rs won't work, but I know that DVD-RWs work, and DVD+RWs work IF you do some fiddling around (bitsetting so that the disc is recognized as a DVD-RAM...?). But will DVD-Rs or DVD+Rs work, and if they do do I need to do something special?

#2 Spark

Spark

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 September 2004 - 05:51 PM

Use Ritek -R

This Board has a Search Engine too you know....... wink.gif

#3 MMXMonster

MMXMonster

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Location:Latitude - 41 44' 00.21" N, Longitude 71 24' 25.37" W
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 September 2004 - 06:32 PM

With all that reading you have done... Here is a little more that will help you in the long run.

Forum Rulez

My box likes DVD-R, +R/RW (if set to -ROM) and thats about it. I have used Princo and Ritec brands.

Edited by MMXMonster, 25 September 2004 - 06:35 PM.

#4 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 September 2004 - 06:55 PM

The quality of media varries quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer. Your friend who told you that DVD-R doesn't work is dead wrong. A quality DVD-R disc is the most universally compatible option. If he used a crappy disc (and don't be fooled by the name brand media in stores) then that is why it didn't work. As mentioned above, Ritek DVD-R is probably the most compatible media for the money. Checkout http://www.newegg.com and http://www.rima.com for good deals on them. Meritline, Supermediastore, ect. have all been having customer service issues as of late (ie Selling bogus discs) so I don't recommend them at all. If you want nothing but the best, then go for Taiyo Yuden DVD-R. Taiyo Yuden applies very rigid standards to their quality and all error-rates scans on their media have proven to consistantly be the lowest (for error rates). You can get great deals from them at the rima link listed above. 50 packs of the 8x DVD-R discs are now $35+shipping. Not bad for the best quality discs on the market. wink.gif As for the booktype/bitsetting options, it depends on two things: 1. Which DVD Drive you have in your XBOX? (Only the Samsung drive has an issue). 2. Which burner you have (not all burners support the booktype/bitsetting option). If you just stick with DVD-R you won't have to worry about making this adjustment or whether or not your drive supports it. This is only an issue with +R discs and the Samsung drive.

Edited by jesterrace777, 25 September 2004 - 06:58 PM.

#5 Scorper

Scorper

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 07:49 PM

Thank you jesterrace777, that was what I was looking for. My xbox has a Thompson drive in it so I can burn games to + discs without any special adjustments..? I'll order 50 Ritek DVD-R purple discs (not only for xbox games though tongue.gif ), they're only 4x but I heard they will burn nicely at 8x smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users