X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:55 PM

Might get a hip pad for christmas, and I want to see how to do it.

#2 basso4735

basso4735

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:05 PM

i just did mine, having troubles with it though dry.gif , but you can search for barcodes trial and tribulations thread, and forta kon explains it pretty good

#3 meddigo

meddigo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:23 PM

wot he said lol.

But Yeah, the trials and tribulation thread is a good one, gives you the solder points!

Meddigo Flame

#4 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:47 PM

thanks, but what about that psone screen? There was a guy here that did one of those....

#5 basso4735

basso4735

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:49 PM

i dont know anything about those, but i just say go with the hip pad, unless you already have a ps1 screen, because its easier to fit

#6 lowsodium

lowsodium

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:44 PM

If you wait till christmas, there will not be any hip pads left in existence. They stopped making them and most retailers are getting rid of them for $20 or cheaper, so they are selling out fast. You will have a hard time finding them. Wiring it is the easy part. Fitting it under the hood without ripping any wires out is the tougher part. Read my threads also, I have some good pointers on what to do.

A few very important tips:

1) cover your lcd in plastic and keep in plastic until you are ready for the final mount.
2) Immediately put silicon on every ribbon/wire connector on all your boards and LCD screen as soon as you take it out of the Hip controller. This will toughen the lcd unit and let you pull and tug a little more on the unit when placing it. If you do not silicon all the connection on the LCD board, you will msot likely pull the lcd or wires out of the board. Very delicate unit.

#7 The Trooper

The Trooper

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 09:29 PM

What do you mean by silicon it? Do you mean hot glue?

#8 lowsodium

lowsodium

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 September 2004 - 10:39 PM

silicon is removable and flexible, hot glue isn't. Electronic grade silicon is very protective and holds strong, but can be removed if needed.

#9 basso4735

basso4735

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 10:47 PM

hey, where can i get this electronic silicon?

#10 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 10:54 PM

Where can I get the hip pad then? I've tried target, kbtoys, futureshop, but they don't have them. If there are none left by christmas then I will probably get the psone screen.

Another thing how hard would it be for me to set the screen up. I'm a 14 year old (don't worry I'm pretty mature for my age), I've never used a soldering iron although my mom has been using them for years (not precision, she uses them for stained glass), I just don't want to mess up my mobo. Is there a safer way of doing it?

#11 cueball13

cueball13

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 11:56 PM

Just a warning: this mod is one of the most commonly screwed up mods attempted. If you'll look, at least half the people who have posted their attempts have been unsuccessful. Even I had to replace one of the components that got fried on mine. MANY people have sunk money into several screens and come up with nothing to show for it. If you've never soldered before, (even if you are "mature" for your age) I would recommend going ahead and getting an iron to practice doing simple things on leds etc with before christmas. I'm not trying to discourage you, just letting you know this is a difficult mod which has given loads of people trouble. Also, I doubt you'll be able to find these come christmas-time....they're hard to find even now. They haven't been produced in a while, though there's another company that was selling some rebranded ones recently for cheap that you might be able to find.

#12 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:01 AM

thanks very much

#13 basso4735

basso4735

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:03 AM

^^

one of those people is me biggrin.gif . Just make sure you dont short anything out.

oh yeah: here you go http://www.sears.com...pid=00394887000

http://www.kbtoys.co...INstock/Y/D/709

^^ those were 20 last week dry.gif

#14 goodwin

goodwin

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:06 AM

Its quite a small solder point, Ive only wired up two wires on mine so that I get the screen working when the scart is plugged in, not bothered about the sound or playing without TV plugged in so my mod is good and working biggrin.gif

Glad I got mine before as they do seem to be in demand now and the stock levels are dropping. I live in the UK and they never even got sold over here so it was a mission to get one in the first place.

Goodwin...

Edited by goodwin, 27 September 2004 - 09:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users