#1 parkerbender

parkerbender

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:39 PM

here at school all of the dorms are networked together so you can usually pick up 100+ other computers and their shared songs, now, how can you get that on the xbox since it asks for a specific ip, is there any way, or how do you do it through your router to your computer i got a linksys wireless router (cool.gif can i get the shares directally on the box or do i have to go through the comp, and if through the comp, then how do i do it through the router? thanks!
-parker

#2 Argoyle

Argoyle

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:48 PM

In one of the recent versions they've implemented a workgroup browser that allows you to access any computer's shares on any workgroup. So, update xbmc and it should be easy as pie.

#3 NickFury

NickFury

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:18 AM

I though iTunes sharing has been implemented in the recent builds.

Anyways, is just your xbox going through your router or are all of your computers/xbox and stuff going through your router back onto the schools network? you could run into a few problems trying to see other network shares if your xbox is going through a router to your school network.

If you want to share your music from iTunes, just go into the preferences>advanced then set up the iTunes sharing from there. I havent tried it yet, but Im almost certain I read somewhere that iTunes streaming support has been implemented into XBMC. You have to have iTunes open to share the music from it BTW, and everyone else that has this setup on thier iTunes can share their music as well. Here at Berklee, everyone has to have a mac, so whenever I open up iTunes while im on berkless network, i get like 80 other computers that pop up in my iTunes, its great.

Nick

#4 parkerbender

parkerbender

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:20 AM

i'm confuzed, so the newest build should have sharing support so you can go into computers like on the computer itunes client,(reply one) or do i need to get it through my computer (reply two)? i have one lan conection going into the router which in turn connects to the xbox and computer via patch cable and wirelessly, respectively.i think i have the second-newest build already, september 9th i think or something like that, i can try the newest one in a week when i get my xbox back (borrowed to some kids who's boxes i'm modding) i hope somebody has a easy to understand answer, thanks to the guys who replied tho, smile.gif
-parker

#5 SigTom

SigTom

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:05 AM

OK here ya go. You have a 2 buddies who have movies, along with iTunes for both of them. To browse thier movies, just add a bookmark for thier PC's IP address, and the path to the share (they have to have SMB running). For iTunes, they have to rip the music so there is no DRM, then share that music thru iTunes menu. In your xbmc.xml you add a bookmark where it says itunes in the music section, put the IP address of one guy, then make a 2nd bookmark that has the IP of the 2nd friend. Now you can view thier movies and listen to thier itunes. Nothing goes thru your PC. You have to specify the IP address of any person whos computer you want to access, since your school isnt (at least I doubt it is) on a domain or workgroup that everyones a part of.

#6 parkerbender

parkerbender

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:07 PM

small problem, most ppl on the network have different addresses all the time (dhcp) don't know if there's a way to help that, just sayin, to any developers, that would be a great feature, to have it scan for computers like itunes on pc, of course, i don't know how to do it, so it's probably insanely hard, but.....
-parker

#7 SigTom

SigTom

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 05:06 PM

Thats why the workgroup setting is available in the XML. Maybe the itunes support will be browseable thru the workgroup setting soon, that would solve that problem. Honestly tho, what you wanting to do borders on piracy, as I doubt you have permission from anyone/everyone on your schools network to browse their PCs, and if you dont, and you use media you dont have rights to, thats piracy.

Edited by SigTom, 28 September 2004 - 05:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users