9 replies to this topic

#1 xboxide

xboxide

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 12:58 PM

Hi,

i have searched and I think that the standard xbox HD is 3.5"...

Can you take it out and put a different (seagate or maxtor) 3.5" drive in, will the screws fit or will I have to physically modify the insides to take say...a 3,5" 200gig HD from one of the above brands?

Cheers!

#2 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
  • Interests:mexico water, how when you touch a girl you get sweaty, costco hot dogs, proper first aid
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:01 PM

a IDE drive will fit in the xbox just like a PC

#3 xboxide

xboxide

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:04 PM

Never had to take a PC apart..lol

please elaborate... wink.gif

#4 jbp20717

jbp20717

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Dreamcast, Mario Kart 64, Newcastle United, Monty Python, genocide, necrophilia and more!
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:38 PM

3.5" is standard size - all of them should fit fine in an Xbox
2.5" is the standard used for laptops
And then there are smaller ones used for mp3 players and the like.

#5 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:55 PM

IDE is just a standard for connecting HDDs to motherboards/PCs. Any of the brands you mentioned will fit like a charm (hell, one of my retail HDDs was a Maxtor). Just about any off-the-shelf 3.5" HDD made in the last 4-5 years will work fine when swapped into a box (provided you follow the proper steps to do so). Hardware (screws, et all, are standard).

But if you want a quality, high-perfomance drive check this thread out.

But, yeah, damn near any 3.5 inch (re: desktop PC standard) HDD will do ya.

My two bits: a Seagate Barracuda ST3200822A 200GB 7200rpm 8MB cache is the ONLY way to go. Silent, fast, cool (as in temp, even for a fast on like a 7200rpm), and now selling with 5 year warranties from a reputable dealer near you.

PS: And despite my continuous posts regading this, I don't work for Seagate or anything. My first x386 HD (20 meg!) was a WD Caviar, and I've SCSI RAIDed Maxtors with great results, but, damn, for the price and performance, a single 200GB Barracuda is the hottest shit around.

#6 jefferelli

jefferelli

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:08 PM

Frys is selling a SEAGATE 200G for only 69.99 after rebate. not a bad deal at all, they are a reputable place.CHECK HERE

beerchug.gif

#7 Hibashira

Hibashira

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:19 PM

In short, yes, all 3.5" IDE hard drives will fit. The size, mounting location, screw holes, connectors, etc. are all industry standard, not device or manufacturer specific.

But ... if you haven't opened up a PC, you sure you want to open up an Xbox? tongue.gif

#8 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 29 September 2004 - 06:07 AM

Good point, POF!

@xboxide: We assume you have a modded box and are only trying to install a new, larger drive. Is that so? Do you understand the LBA “big drive” BIOS issue? About unlocking/locking drives via software (re: ConfigMagic). About formatting a new xbox hdd (which uses a proprietary file system called FAT-X, unreadable by Windows PCs without a shitload of effort) using something like SlaYer’s Evox Auto-Installer (or, shudder, Evox)?

Not to be rude, though, but these are valid questions. If you’re already cool, good for you and best of luck. If you answered “no” to any of the above questions, put down the credit card and start reading.

Note: I ain’t bashing Evox, but formatting box HDDs without some real decent knowledge of the app commands and evox.ini, admit it, it’s a bitch. Hence the need for auto-installers. smile.gif

#9 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
  • Interests:mexico water, how when you touch a girl you get sweaty, costco hot dogs, proper first aid
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 September 2004 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (jefferelli @ Sep 28 2004, 11:11 AM)
Frys is selling a SEAGATE 200G for only 69.99 after rebate. not a bad deal at all, they are a reputable place.CHECK HERE

beerchug.gif

they are good but ever wonder why frys is so cheap?

they sell items that cant be sold or refurbished items. if its on sale at frys its either crap or a lost leader. now if its just a lost leader obviously you are the lucky. otherwise its crap. haha

#10 xboxide

xboxide

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 09:34 AM

Thanx for all the advice...

I have decided to go the premodded route, I will perhaps do some leds and case modifications myself.

Goin for a smartxx v.2 with 200 gigs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users