#1 Xenn

Xenn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 09:39 PM

Hi! I wanna try out that chipless modding thing but i need a little more info,

Do i need an XBOX Live Connection?

Does a pro-action replay connect to a pc with usb?

I read that you need a usb adapter and it brought me to a link for a keyboard to xbox usb adapter, does that mean i need to use the keyboard too or just the adapter?

Do i need to install linux to get a dashboard like EVOX?

How high is my chance of wrecking my xbox?

If i wrecked my Xbox is it possible to fix it?

To get things onto my HD is it true i have to use an ftp program? can't i just save a file to disk and then load it off of it on the XBOX?

thanks guys i'll update this when i get the chance

Edited by Xenn, 02 October 2004 - 09:44 PM.

#2 Ossan

Ossan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 02 October 2004 - 10:37 PM

if you're not sure what you're doing don't attempt it. It is pretty easy to softmod an xbox using tutorials found here. Search is a really good function on this site - do a search for UDE or LTools. There are lots of tutorials on how to do this. I have modded countless xbox's and have learned everything thanks to the people on this site. But as i said a search for UDE or LTools will tell you what you need to know.

#3 Xenn

Xenn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 05:04 AM

well i've read alot of the softmodding tutorials before coming here so i'm pretty confident about this, but i really wanna know if i need an xbox live account for this, also it says to download things i need to use some sort of ftp program, is it possible to save something to cd from my pc then access it on my xbox from the cd? and also i need to connect my pc to the xbox, can i just use the ethernet cord and unplug the other side from the internet connection and connect it to my xbox like this?

pc>ethernet cord>xbox

#4 Xenn

Xenn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:14 PM

sorry to bump but i just went over the rules and i didn't find anything about it, but if there is then i'm really sorry, but it seems that some might think that my questions have been solved that's why they don't even bother to check inside, and it also might be my thread title, i'd pm the writers of the tutorials but i know that they've probably stopped reading them after the first hundred so i just want to ask a couple of quick questions and have them answered. Here are my main questions

Do i really need an xbox live account for this?

Also it says to download things i need to use some sort of ftp program, is it possible to save something to cd from my pc then access it on my xbox from the cd?

and also i need to connect my pc to the xbox, can i just use the ethernet cord and unplug the other side from the internet connection and connect it to my xbox like this?

pc>ethernet cord>xbox

#5 rd350ypvs

rd350ypvs

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:22 PM

The xbox live acount is not needed, only that the dash is updated, otherwise the update may not find a necessary file. The way I do it is to use an xbox live game to enable and update an xbox that doesn't have an xbox live tab, then run the exploit, it seems that this is the easiest way to not run into problems

andyw

#6 Xenn

Xenn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:48 PM

ok thanks buddy, i already have a live tab so i don't think that'll pose as a problem later on, now i only have 2 questions left

It says to download things i need to use some sort of ftp program, is it possible to save something to cd from my pc then access it on my xbox from the cd?

and also i need to connect my pc to the xbox, can i just use the ethernet cord and unplug the other side from the internet connection and connect it to my xbox like this?

pc>ethernet cord>xbox

#7 Ossan

Ossan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 07 October 2004 - 03:18 AM

you definately do not need a live connection - here's a summary of a tutorial of how to softmod. Don't take my word for it though - there's a killer ude tutorail in the tutorials section that will give detail on every step.

1. Download gamesave expolit MA, Splintercell, 007, doesn't matter which one, I used Mech Assult from #xbins. You'll want the ltools exploit to install ude or ude2.

2. Copy the save to your xbox hard drive by either using an action replay or a usb thumbdrive if you want to make the usb to xbox mod.

3. Run the exploit by loading the 'game save' that you downloaded.

4. Follow the instructions that follow on your screen.

I don't know if you'll have to update your dash first or not - i have never had to and have modded multiple xbox's. This DOES NOT mean that you won't have to for sure - the best i can offer is post your kernal version and dash version and someone may be able to tell you if you need to update it.

And youll probably want to use an ftp program to send your programs over instead of burning them to a cd rw or a dvd as it will be less of a headache.

to connect your pc to your xbox you can either connect your xbox to your router with a straight through cable, or if you don't have a router, you'll have to use a crossover cable with your computer's nic.

hope that helps.

#8 Thread Reaper

Thread Reaper

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:28 AM

Yes, ftp is definitely the better way of transferring stuff to your xbox. Once you've done it a couple times, you'll see, it's really not that difficult, and in fact much less of a hassle than burning a CD every time you want to upload something to the Xbox.

Also, if you're connecting your computer straight to your Xbox, make sure you have a CROSSOVER cable, like Ossan said, not just a normal ethernet cable. You can usually buy 10 ft crossover cables at Radio Shack for like 10 bucks. You can probably also get them just about any place you buy computer hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users