5 replies to this topic

#1 jjff8844

jjff8844

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 12:04 AM

Have any body heard that xbox 2 is gonna using either blue-laser disc and HD-DVD. Blue-laser disc can hold about 100 GB, and HD-DVD disc can hold about 15-30 GB. I think those two medias are ridiculous. I mean what's the ratio of xbox games at around 2-3 GB and 4.7 GB. So far, i have seen a lot more 2-3 game discs. What the hell does MS do with 100 GB even 30 GB discs. The suck part is that dvd media hasn't become the stardard media for that long yet unlike VHS. Why are they moving so fast ahead. unsure.gif

#2 EthanHunt_IMF

EthanHunt_IMF

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 12:23 AM

I don't think Xbox 2 specs have been completely finalized yet, surely a drive to read this media will up the price of Xbox 2 considerably depending on when they decide to release the system. Why are they moving so far ahead? To try and counter against piracy would be my guess. Since supposedly no one is sure if Xbox 2 will have a hard drive yet so copying games to the hd might not be possible.

#3 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 October 2004 - 12:53 AM

First of all, wrong forum, so I'll move the thread for you.

Second, uh, Rallisport challenge 2 takes over 6 GB and it doesn't have much in the way of movies or cutscenes. This game was designed at only 480p resolution. When these systems start supporting 1080i (or p) on all games, just the sizes for the textures and 3D models will increase exponentially. That could mean a game like Rallisport Challenge 2 with the same amount of tracks and cars, etc, but with full HD resolution textures and models could easily take 10 times more space or between 60 and 70GB. That doesn't include any HD movie content for cutscenes, etc.

If you agree that it doesn't make sense to have more than 640k of RAM in a computer, than your logic follows, however, IMHO it doesn't make sense.

Lastly, Sony has already promised Blu-Ray in the upcoming PS3, so MS better do something to compete with that.

Anyway, moving to the correct forum. dry.gif

Edited by Mr Ed, 03 October 2004 - 12:55 AM.

#4 TeonHarasymiv

TeonHarasymiv

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 October 2004 - 03:40 AM

Yea, as stated, the main reason for these new disks is because in the movie scene, DVDs dont have enough storage for a full movie in High-Def. Alot of new TVs can actually support a higher resolution than DVDs can offer, which is why there is a push for these new disks.....

Once these new disks are in, however, they should be here for a while, because we are at the start of the High-Def stage, and so hopefully it will hang around for a while....

#5 thekid1000

thekid1000

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:12 AM

dry.gif eh blue media sucks
and its way over priced
the new pearlescent is the shit
im not sure if thats exactly what its called but they found out how to hold MANY layers and have it be over 100gb
while only costing 35 cents to manufacture
i hope xbox uses that instead
: P
-Mike

#6 Elusive hacker

Elusive hacker

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:22 AM

of course if MS uses Blu-Ray Royalties will be paid to Sony......

Edited by Elusive hacker, 07 October 2004 - 05:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users